PDA

View Full Version : How many here shoot a .405 Winchester

snowwolfe
08-05-2014, 05:13 PM
I just purchased a Miroku 1895 take down in .405 Winchester and hoping to learn what other owners are using for boolits and powder. Any information is appreciated.

Bullshop
08-05-2014, 06:18 PM
Not currently but have pushed many boolits through one in the past. Took two moose with the 405 and my custom 410gn LFN.

451whitworth
08-05-2014, 08:15 PM
snowwolfe,
check the "cb loads, your favorite cartridge" section. there was some discussion (and a little nonsense) about the .405wcf the other day in a thread about a .405 Ruger No.1

Clay M
08-05-2014, 08:51 PM
I just purchased a Miroku 1895 take down in .405 Winchester and hoping to learn what other owners are using for boolits and powder. Any information is appreciated.

I also have the take down Miroku 95 in .405 as well as a solid frame version. I have had good luck with Rel 7 in those guns.

Kansas Ed
08-05-2014, 09:42 PM
I've been shooting an original Take Down for about 20+ years now. It's handled a few deer, but nothing larger. I've always shot Hawk 300 gr. bullets in it, but recently purchased a mold from Tom at Accurate. I just haven't gotten back to the casting pot this summer to get anything cast, loaded or shot of that bullet yet. By the way, my go to powder has always been IMR4064.

Ed

pkie44
08-05-2014, 09:58 PM
Mine is a single shot Levergun, well the 1885 has a lever! :bigsmyl2: Mine likes H4895 and the Hornady bullets. Soon to try some powder coated 337 gr cast

Le Loup Solitaire
08-05-2014, 10:11 PM
I shoot an original 95 Winchester in 405. All of my cases are of Hornady manufacture except the original 50 that I made out of 30-40 Krag brass. I fireformed them with 10 grains of Red Dot and stuffed the cases with tissue paper. Noisy, messy, and worked, but the finished cases were 1/4 " too short. Well at the time it was better than nothing. Then along came Hornady and it is good brass. The bullet is the Lyman 412263, a single cav from back in the day. Drops bullets at .413 which is right so no sizing is necessary. Powders that work well range from medium to slow. I settled on 3031 and 4895. I usually run at around 1500fps, but things can be pushed as high as 2200fps which is around factory spec. Those are performance loads and can be used on big game anywhere in the western hemisphere, but the recoil is very noticeable. LLS

fouronesix
08-05-2014, 10:11 PM
I have an original 1895. Shoots both the Hornady and Hawk jbullets extremely well. Also have a custom gas check mold for it. Since the bore dimensions seem to differ between the modern repros and originals… not much help about cast bullet specifics- my original is a couple thous larger in both groove and bore diameter than the modern ones I know about. Mine likes 4895 in both jacketed and cast loads. I like to keep it around 1500-1600 fps. Yep, they can be pushed up to uncomfortable recoil levels if desired for rhino and the like :)

snowwolfe
08-05-2014, 10:14 PM
Thanks guys. I have no plans to hotrod this rifle as I have a couple of double rifles in bigger calibers.
1,500-1,600 is fine with me and I bet it would penetrate a deer from front to back under 100 yards.

TXGunNut
08-05-2014, 10:20 PM
Congrats on a nice rifle in an awesome chambering. I'm a fan of Teddy Roosevelt so maybe someday I'll have to have one. Looking forward to hearing more about your new rifle.

35 shooter
08-05-2014, 10:42 PM
I also have the take down Miroku 95 in .405 as well as a solid frame version. I have had good luck with Rel 7 in those guns.

How does the take down version stack up accuracy wise against the solid frame?

snowwolfe, congrats on the new rifle....these .405 threads are killing me...cause i want one!

Clay M
08-06-2014, 10:19 AM
Something I did with my two modern 95's was to put a red Winchester recoil pad on them.They are available from Connecticut Shotgun MFG CO. I did not cut the stock ,just shaped the pad and put it on. It increased the length of pull which was good for me.It also made the gun more comfortable to shoot with heavier loads.

The takedown is every bit as accurate as my solid frame. Maybe more so.

snowwolfe
08-06-2014, 11:11 AM
Clay,
I plan on having one of those red pads installed after I break in the rifle. Have always had a fascination for big bore levers, especially take downs. This rifle came up for sale on another forum and one look and I bought it. Previous owner purchased it new and only fired it 20 times. With the sale came a Williams peep sight installed, box of 50 Hornady brass (20 once fired), 30 remaining bullets (sized to .413) as well as Hornady reloading dies. It came with the original box and all paperwork and I paid a little less than $1,100. Think it was one of the better deals I found in a long time.

Clay M
08-06-2014, 11:25 AM
Clay,
I plan on having one of those red pads installed after I break in the rifle. Have always had a fascination for big bore levers, especially take downs. This rifle came up for sale on another forum and one look and I bought it. Previous owner purchased it new and only fired it 20 times. With the sale came a Williams peep sight installed, box of 50 Hornady brass (20 once fired), 30 remaining bullets (sized to .413) as well as Hornady reloading dies. It came with the original box and all paperwork and I paid a little less than $1,100. Think it was one of the better deals I found in a long time.

I have two originals and the two modern guns. I really like the takedown. I also bought a Leg of Mutton case for it so maybe someday I can put it on a horse and take it elk hunting.
Rel 7 works great in my rifle. You got a great deal on that gun. I think the takedown was made in a limited production a few years back.Glad you got it!

tygar
08-06-2014, 11:52 AM
I have 10 boxes of "new" Hornady 405 factory ammo if anyone is interested.

fouronesix
08-06-2014, 05:11 PM
The .413 size cast should do well in the Miroku. However it depends on your bore dimensions, bullet design, alloy, gas check or not, etc.

I found that right at groove diameter or up to .001" larger than groove diameter, gas checked, cast of fairly soft alloy can be pushed to about 1700 fps. But at around that vel the recoil starts to become noticeable. My cast bullet (Mountain Molds) for the original is 320 gr conventional style GG RNFP with gas check sized to .415 (for the slightly larger original bore with a groove diameter of .414) and I keep the alloy at about 10-12 BHN.

In addition to the 4895, which is a go-to for all moderate+ loads, most all powders in that general burn rate seem to work. I've found 5744 with dacron filler for reduced loads also shoots very well.

Bullshop
08-06-2014, 07:04 PM
For my rifle with .4125" groove .415" boolits shot best and .414" a close second.

Clay M
08-07-2014, 07:27 PM
I will give a report on my Accurate 41-325BG mold in these modern 95 rifles as soon as I have time to load and take to my range .
TR would love these modern 95 with the heat treated steel.I always love seeing his personal Custom 95 that he took to Africa,in the museum at Cody.
TR was the real deal. Read his personal biography sometime.

TXGunNut
08-07-2014, 09:56 PM
TR was a gifted writer, or shall I say observer. One of his books (Adventures...) had remarkably detailed descriptions of flora and fauna and observations about the shrinking game numbers and game behaviour of the time.

Clay M
08-07-2014, 10:03 PM
TR was a gifted writer, or shall I say observer. One of his books (Adventures...) had remarkably detailed descriptions of flora and fauna and observations about the shrinking game numbers and game behaviour of the time.

Roosevelt was a very brilliant man.He claimed to read a book a day.As best I can tell he really had the best interest of our country at heart.When I read about how he fought the system I see the same thing magnified today.He loved America,,God how we truly need someone like him today.

Gemsbok405
08-08-2014, 03:40 AM
I shoot a Win/Miroku 1885 and find it a tackdriver with Marbles aperture sight. Bullet is Mountain Mould 330gr GC (nominal) sized .413 and lubed with Rooster HVR. No leading at all.
Powder is Somchem S365 ( stick powder / extruded) very similar burn to H-4350 with 55.0gr delivering approx 1910fps average. Fill is about 99%.
Also have a Ruger #1 in same .405 cal. Hope to make some time to see how shoots above load.

StrawHat
08-08-2014, 06:55 AM
Mine is an original, sort of, and likes the Lyman 412263. Like LSS, I use 3031 and 4895 but I also like 5744. I also like to load it to moderate levels and save the factory stuff for the odd roaming rhinoceros or bear.

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc194/StrawHat/ScoutRifleandRevolver003.jpg (http://s214.photobucket.com/user/StrawHat/media/ScoutRifleandRevolver003.jpg.html)

snowwolfe
08-10-2014, 11:28 AM
Something I did with my two modern 95's was to put a red Winchester recoil pad on them.They are available from Connecticut Shotgun MFG CO. I did not cut the stock ,just shaped the pad and put it on. It increased the length of pull which was good for me.It also made the gun more comfortable to shoot with heavier loads.

The takedown is every bit as accurate as my solid frame. Maybe more so.

Clay, after looking at my rifle noticed the butt has a slight curve to it. Any issues with fitting the straight red pad to it?

fouronesix
08-10-2014, 07:36 PM
An alternative to adding a pad would be to fabricate a lace on. While the 405 does have a bit of recoil with heavy loads, I think a lot of the discomfort comes from muzzle jump. The idea I use for the crescent styles is to flatten the butt surface. The only tricky part is making a "saddle" shaped thick leather insert to take up the space between the flat and the crescent. The commercial ones with the soft gel inserts don't work well for me so I just replace that squishy internal pad with the thick leather insert.

I've used this type on several originals I didn't want to damage or modify, plus the leather pad protects the original butt plates from scuffing. BTW, the LOP with the lace-on pad is 13 1/2". Win M95 405 shown.

Clay M
08-11-2014, 12:04 AM
Clay, after looking at my rifle noticed the butt has a slight curve to it. Any issues with fitting the straight red pad to it?

If your rifle has the steel shotgun butt like my guns then it is no problem with the pad. It looks fantastic and really helps with heavy recoil.

Dirty30
08-16-2014, 07:30 PM
Good choice of rifle! To be honest I have only shot factory loads in mine over the years. It is my go-to gun for elk in the woods. It is a stinking show stopper. Elk can soak up a lot of lead, but not from a .405! I have plans to cast for it, but I'm kind of meticulous about developing 1 boolit/load at a time. If you get a good one, leave some data on this thread for the rest of us.

Eddy Stone
08-21-2014, 06:05 PM
One of my favorite rifles for mountain walks as well as Texas hog hunts. I also have the Browning reproduction and get best results with Rel7. Best hunting boolit is the 350 gr. gas check from RCBS mold (for 416 Rigby/Taylor/Remington) sized to .413. At 2000 fps. It hits hard and penetrates anything.

roguer53
08-24-2019, 02:22 PM
still have some 405 ammo?