PDA

View Full Version : Bullets stick to the mold!

kellyj00
01-25-2008, 01:51 PM
I'm casting 45acp RN bullets in a lee 6-cavity mold. The problem is that the bullets seem to stick to the mold with almost every cast. I have to actually push the bullets out of the mold!

Is this normal behavior? I've tried smoking the mold with a match, but it doesn't seem to help. I light a wooden match, hold it up to the (upside down mold) cavity and it turns it nice and dark, but they still stick!

it's a little frustrating...those buggers are HOT even with gloves on.

Thanks for any ideas!

HORNET
01-25-2008, 02:02 PM
kelly,
Do a search for Leementing up in the stickies section. Basicly a light lapping job using toothpaste to remove burrs left from machining the mold. Some also have good luck removing them using typewriter erasers or rubbing the cavity edges with old bamboo chopsticks among other things. After the burrs are gone, the little buggers'll just about jump out of the cavities.

38 Super Auto
01-25-2008, 04:49 PM
I'm casting 45acp RN bullets in a lee 6-cavity mold. The problem is that the bullets seem to stick to the mold with almost every cast. I have to actually push the bullets out of the mold!

Kelly, I had the same problem with a Lee 6-cav 125 RN and the process that Hornet pointed out fixed it. After I did all of the steps, I applied some Frankford arsenal mold release. They literally fall out now when I open the mold.

Life is good after you lap your Lee molds :drinks:

mtgrs737
01-25-2008, 09:36 PM
It is almost standard procedure for me to lap a Lee mould before I use it for the first time these days. It really does make a difference in the way they release the boolit. It is easy and works well, takes about an half hour to do a six cavity. Good luck!