PDA

View Full Version : Tidbit for you .45 LC shooters

Blackwater
08-04-2014, 03:04 PM
With the current situation with respect to powder INavailability when ya' want a specific one, it occurred to me that this tidbit might be useful to some of you who may not be able to find your usual powder for this caliber. It's not my experince, but that of a running buddy of mine who's shot more deer than most people have SEEN, and has more real field experience than ANY avid hunter I know, so you can take it to the bank, at least in his guns, but it's worthy of consideration if you can't locate your preferred powder and want to shoot.

He had a Ruger BHK in .45 LC, and had been loading Unique for it for quite some time. This particular gun was very accurate, shooting inside 2" at 25 yds. with very boring regularity and with most any lead bullet he tried. One day he wanted to load up a sizable quantity (for him - he often goes afield with only the ctgs. in his chambers, or sometimes not even that many, but he's also the finest shot I know as well) of ammo for his LC. He had some Laser Cast 200 gr. RNFP's, but in reaching for his can of Unique, discovered it was almost empty. He pooched his lips out a bit, and looked for some sort of substitute. He found a nearly full can of Red Dot, and determined to try that. He's not prone to experiment when he's got an established load, but isn't averse to it when situations warrant it, or occasionally just to see what happens. He was using LWP primers.

So, he took the Red Dot, looked in the loading manuals, and determined to try 6.5 gr with the 200 grainers.He only loaded a few rounds to check and see if the load might need some adjustment. On going outside to see how they'd group and find the POI, he found they shot very much like his usual Unique loads, very close to same group size and POI, so he didn't need to change his sight setting. "Not too bad," he thought. So, then he goes inside to load up a quantity for near future use.

This is when he found he only had a few WLR primers left. Again exasperated, he picked some CCI LP primers and loaded up a few of these to try, and went outside to his target to see if the change had any effect on the load. It did. He shot a couple of 1" groups at his 25 yd. target, and one was actually just a smidge smaller than 1". Eureka!, he thought to himself. I've stimbled onto something GOOD!

So, moral of story is that if you can't find your usual powder, it MAY lead you to something similar or even better. Ya' just got to try it and see. And if Red Dot's available, it would be a likely candidate to try with cast, especially. I later gave him some Lee 230 gr. Conical FP's I'd cast and lubed with 50/50 alox/beeswax. He tried them, but I don't recollect the load amt. with Red Dot, and he shot two deer with them and found they shot very well in his gun, too, producing near 1" groups. When I asked how the deer reacted when hit, he said, "They went straight down and stayed there." I replied, "They did?" having expected them to run a ways. "Well," he said, "they tend to do that when you shoot them in the head." I'd forgotten his penchant for doing that.

He finally upped the load to 6.7 and 6.8 gr. of Red Dot, trying to get a little extra oomph in case he needed to take a body shot, and they shot very nearly as well, so close that he felt the extra velocity's slightly better trajectory made it worth it in case he needed to take a longer shot than he likes, such as 50-75 yds.

This is related FWIW to you LC shooters in hopes it'll maybe take some of the sting out of the powder situation, and maybe even lead to an improvement in performance we might not have made without being forced to experiment.

Anyone had any similar situations occur?

tazman
08-04-2014, 07:45 PM
I had something similar happen when I purchased 2 bottles of Titewad by mistake when I was looking for Titegroup. I had been using WST in my 9mm and 38 special for the lighter boolits with good accuracy. I decided to try the Titewad since I had it on hand.
I loaded the Lee 356-95-rf over a charge of Titewad and found it worked even better than WST for the small boolit.
It also works well in the 38 for target/plinking loads.
I am almost out of it now. Not certain if I will buy it again, but I haven't seen any more of it since then either.

scattershot
08-04-2014, 07:53 PM
A lot of folks overlook Red Dot powder, but it's becoming my go-to powder for just about any handgun load, and a lead boolit plinker in 30/30. Most accurate load I have shot to date is a 200 grain SWC in .45ACP with 4.0 grains.

Harter66
08-04-2014, 08:27 PM
I've shot a lot of Red Dot.......still have half the 10# keg I got after my Grandfather passed away. I didn't try it in the 40 or 45 Colts but I've burned a bunch in 9/38/357 and dove and quail loads for 12 ga.

Artful
08-04-2014, 09:09 PM
I like Red Dot - problem is whenever I buy a lifetime supply - I out live it.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v355/rowdyfisk/FAL/th_RedDotKey.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/rowdyfisk/media/FAL/RedDotKey.jpg.html)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v355/rowdyfisk/FAL/th_RedDotKegEndofthefun.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/rowdyfisk/media/FAL/RedDotKegEndofthefun.jpg.html)

10mmShooter
08-04-2014, 09:49 PM
I use Red Dot a lot some and Green Dot is my go to powder for 1000fps 240gr .44 LSWC loads. Don't really like the way it meters but it works great.

Tar Heel
08-04-2014, 09:54 PM
Good write up....

Harter66
08-04-2014, 10:09 PM
Say Artful is that a U-Press-it cap ?

runfiverun
08-04-2014, 10:50 PM
you used to be able to buy powder in 12 pound kegs and a drum was 35 pounds..
that wasn't too long ago.

in my 45 colt lever guns and revolvers I have worked loads from 4.5grs of clays with 165-200-225-250 and 270 gr boolits all the way up through 2400 powder.
I made stops along the way with titegroup,231,red-dot,700-x,aa#5, [some alcan-5] unique,herco,800-x,aa#9, and steel powders.
I done the same in 38,357,44 special,44-40,41 & 44 mag,45 acp, and 45 colt, plus a couple of other calibers.

I do the same with most of my calibers before settling on an 'everyday' load, a light poof load, and the best full power load I can get.
sometimes this includes both jacketed and cast loads for a rifle I like versatility.

Hardcast416taylor
08-04-2014, 11:03 PM
I`ve been using that 6.5 gr. load in my LC 45 with both the 200 gr. up thru the 255 gr. RCBS mold product for 30 years or so. The old time duplication load of the old days LC 45 was to use 6.5 gr. of RD to attain about 850 - 900 FPS with the 255 gr. RN boolit.

bdicki
08-04-2014, 11:08 PM
If you like Red Dot don't overlook Alliant Promo it uses Red Dot data for 12ga. Last year it was $85 for 8 pounds.

Artful
08-04-2014, 11:11 PM
Say Artful is that a U-Press-it cap ?

Don't know what a U-Press-it cap is :oops:

on my 15 pound canister it came with a zip cord that unsealed it and the top part of canister lifts off.

probably safer in the metal cans.

Artful
08-04-2014, 11:17 PM
If you like Red Dot don't overlook Alliant Promo it uses Red Dot data for 12ga. Last year it was $85 for 8 pounds.
Well, all the web sites seem to be over $100 for 8 pounds now but no one seemed to have it in stock, or red dot.

Harter66
08-04-2014, 11:24 PM
You push the center of the top and the lock edge releases . to lock just squeeze the edges to lock the lid down.

gotlead
08-04-2014, 11:46 PM
I too use red dot for many different applications. One I've had some fun with is 3 grains under a #1&1/2 buckshot pellet (.311) in
My 308. This is now my 30 cal. Pellet gun

Outpost75
08-05-2014, 12:13 AM
How does the particle size of Promo compare with other powders? Will it meter through a Dillon measure????

fecmech
08-05-2014, 11:04 AM
How does the particle size of Promo compare with other powders? Will it meter through a Dillon measure????
It is slightly finer grained and less bulky than Red Dot. When used in shotshell reloading Alliant recommends using a bushing 2 sizes smaller for the same grain weight load in Red Dot. If the Dillon meters RD or Power Pistol it should measure Promo( I don't have a Dillon).

harley45
08-05-2014, 02:09 PM
Since the shortage started I've been buying whatever I can get my hands on and working up loads for all the guns I own. It's been a great learning experience as I have found some better loads just like the OPs friend did!

1Shirt
08-05-2014, 02:21 PM
I started loading Unique for 45 colt, and it has always been a winner. That said, so is Red Dot, and if I run out of Unique will go to RD. Also, I shoot a lot of the 200 gr. Lee RNFP pb bullets lubed with 45-45-10, because it shoots good, not hard on the hand, and is appreciably more thrifty lead wise than heavier 250-300 grainers, and for practice is all I need.
1Shirt!

Hardcast416taylor
08-05-2014, 02:23 PM
This is a sure sign of getting old. Only us old timers really remember what this kind of top cap was or how it worked. I still got 2 old 12 lb. steel drums out in the barn that have the snap/pop top, 1 is a Red Dot and is reddish/pink while the other is for Herco and is chocolate brown color - have emptied them after about 20 years of using. Got them back in the early 1960`s.Robert

bdicki
08-05-2014, 02:40 PM
Well, all the web sites seem to be over $100 for 8 pounds now but no one seemed to have it in stock, or red dot.
I don't order powder online, I get around the country enough for my job to stop in a few places. These are mostly shotgun related suppliers.
http://www.cacassociatesinc.com/page45.html
http://www.dawsonent.com/

Harter66
08-05-2014, 03:26 PM
1 of those is a 68' the other is 67'. I still use both the small cans for the bench.

1Shirt
08-05-2014, 05:16 PM
Still have a few of the snap caps, also have some of the orange & white Hogden 4831 cans with the pry off tops.
1Shirt!

Harter66
08-05-2014, 05:25 PM
I just aquired some 4831 cans that are printed ''this is WWII surplus......'' full and sealed. Quite the contrast to the plastic jug of 4350 lotted 01142014. (middle of last January)

USSR
08-05-2014, 07:22 PM
Truth be told, any powder suitable for 12 gauge target loads is a good powder for the .45 LC. Personally, I use Solo 1000 and 700X.

Don

CDFingers
08-06-2014, 09:44 AM
I like to try new powders. I still like Unique, though.

CDFingers

Airman Basic
08-06-2014, 10:23 AM
Just picked up 8#s of 700x the other day from Natchez. Because it was available. Will be trying it in a BH 45 convertible. Tried a pound 25 years ago but none since. Any gotchas or pearls of wisdom about 700x? Just checked, on UPS for delivery today. To dang hot to shoot right now, but I might load some this evening.

Blackwater
08-06-2014, 05:25 PM
I thought this might stimulate some discussion on why the current "problem" of powder availability just might not be our "enemy." Nothing stimulates us to experiment like not being able to get what we usually shoot, and sometimes (no, not always, but sometimes) we find out very desirable things that we wouldn't have had we not had some sort of "problem" to prevent us from staying set in our ways. I know I get my lips pooched out a bit when I can't find my "usual," but occasionally, this can be a godsend. Lord knows, most of us are so busy and preoccupied that we get caught up in doing the same ol' thing the same ol' ways, and get stuck in a rut. The simple fact is, we can get eminently usable if not excellent loads with lots of powders. It just takes a little experimenting and trial and error. Not every gun shoots the same loads, of course, and we often just ask what everybody else is shooting rather than doing our own homework and finding out what OUR guns do, which is of course, the whole point of it all. So if ya' can't find what ya' want, just get something that should work, and try incremental loads until you get the desiired results, and then you might want to try different primers. Different primers don't often make much difference, but they CAN, and if you'll note my example of the Red Dot/CCI load in the Colt, you'll note that he didn't get those exceptional results with his regular WLP primers.

It just pays to experiment when we shoot. We don't learn a thing by doing the same thing over and over.

Yes, it IS getting more expensive to shoot or experiment, but so is everything else but wages. Welcome to the 21st century and the Liberal Paradise, boys! IT CAN get worse - - - a LOT worse, but that's a discussion for another forum. Just don't let 'em git ya' down, and learn all you can. I suspect it'll come in handy before many moons pass. Hope not, but suspect otherwise.

Harter66
08-06-2014, 06:16 PM
I've several rifles that I started w/WLRP and came back to CCIs .Like wise w/2000 Fed SP for my pistols that just run better w/CCIs.sadly a goto shot gun powder is discontinued.......... and I've aready been through that mill.

USSR
08-06-2014, 07:26 PM
Just picked up 8#s of 700x the other day from Natchez. Because it was available. Will be trying it in a BH 45 convertible. Tried a pound 25 years ago but none since. Any gotchas or pearls of wisdom about 700x? Just checked, on UPS for delivery today. To dang hot to shoot right now, but I might load some this evening.

AB,

I use 6.5gr of 700X with 255 - 270gr SWC's in my S&W 25-5.

Don