PDA

View Full Version : Lyman Lube/Sizer Dies

bdbruce
08-04-2014, 02:10 AM
I started casting boolits in 1969 with a Lyman #311359 (single cavity) for my M1 Carbine, used a .309" lube size die in my Lyman #45 Lube/size die. I still have and use all of these. I also use this .309" die for other 30 cal boolits 30-30, 30-06. It seems that this die now sizes to .310", I'm sure that this die has seen at least 20K boolits thru it, It also seems to leak a "thin ribbon" of lube out of the bottom between the bottom punch and die body (Lyman Orange Magic, press has a lube heater installed) when the lube is "under pressure". Is this die worn out? Maybe it's time for a new one.

Is there any difference between Lyman and RCBS sizing dies? I have Lyman sizing dies at .224, .309, .358, .452 the .309 and .358 I've had for 45 years. I have 2- Lee six cavity 9mm and 45 ACP, 2 -Lee 2 cavity 45 ACP, 150 grn .308, 4 Lyman single cavity 3 round balls for muzzle loaders and the M1 Carbine, 2- Lyman 2 cavity .308, .224 and 1 Lyman 4 cavity 358 158 grn wadcutters. I've been using a Lyman #2 alloy or Missiouri Bullet Company "Magic Alloy" for rifle and a softer alloy for 9mm Luger and 45 ACP. I have a Lee hardness tester and use it on every "Melt batch" I make up. Does anyone also use a Lee hardness tester? any Pros or Cons?

Keep those boolits going down range, Big Daddy Bruce

Hickory
08-04-2014, 02:31 AM
Is this die worn out? Maybe it's time for a new one.

It's not likely that the die is worn out.
Check the calibration of your measuring device, it could be off a bit.

fryboy
08-04-2014, 10:16 PM
biggest con i know off for the lee hardness tester is the scope , it takes a bit of fine dexterity to use it and on wee boolits it's a even bigger pain

alloy can change the size ( even in a fresh in spec brand new die , call it springback if you will or resistance to umm change , lead is alot softer than steel and most lubes arent abrasive , if you however have real dirty boolits with sand or say hard carbon on them ( yes such as carbon inclusions ) it can damage a die , if they still seem as round as they did back whenever then i'm going with the different alloy aspect changing the diameter ( or a out of calibration mic )

rush1886
08-11-2014, 08:55 AM
Not sure I could find it, but I believe there is an old thread where one of the members here constructed a stand for the microscope portion of the Lee hardness tester. Seems like he used pvc pipe and an led flashlight and actually listed a couple for sale. Maybe someone else can dig up that link/thread.

I own and use the Lee tester, and Fryboy is spot on about the scope being the biggest pain. Beginning with the concept in the thread mentioned above, I constructed a stand for my scope, that I can best describe as sort of a modified fly tying vise. Took me about an hour looking at all the goodies in the local hardware store to come up with the parts and pieces I figured would work, and spent maybe $20. Took another hour or so to assemble them into something workable. It's not pretty, but very functional. If you're mechanically inclined at all, shouldn't be a big deal. Just be sure to include a means of raising and lowering the scope itself, for focusing. I also used a band saw and cut a v notch into a 2" x 2" block of pine, to cradle the bullet under the scope. This block is movable under the scope and allows for super easy positioning of the bullet, getting it centered under the graduations in the scope.

No digital camera available for photos, sorry.

Larry Gibson
08-11-2014, 11:19 AM
There are simple ways to improve the ease of use of the Lee scope. Many make their own stands; a "search" should provide many that are simple and easy to make. They greatly increase the ease, repeatability of use and the accuracy of the Lee scope. I easily modified a kids microscope I got at a second hand store ($11 - $12) to use the Lee scope. It works extremely well and I prefer it to the other BHN testers available.

Larry Gibson