PDA

View Full Version : Question on tracking deer

hornsurgeon
08-04-2014, 01:54 AM
Ok. This sounds like a nubie question but here goes. When tracking deer in deep snow, it's hard to see the track itself to determine which way the deer is headed. I have noticed the differences in drag marks however. My question is this: does a deer drag it's hoof as it sets it down or as it picks it up to take the step?

leftiye
08-04-2014, 05:49 AM
Depends?

FLHTC
08-04-2014, 07:06 AM
I always saw those drag marks as it lifted it's hoof out of the snow, even in lower accumulations. I can't see why that would change with the depth of the snow.

kbstenberg
08-04-2014, 08:37 AM
If I could add another track ID question. Is it only a buck that drag its toes? I was taught that it is.
If you look at tracks in a hard surface (mud, plowed field) the drag marks show the way the deer is travailing. With the hoof tips doing the dragging.

44man
08-04-2014, 09:54 AM
Big doe also drag their feet. It is true a buck does not lift his hooves as high. But a heavy doe doesn't either.
One thing I found when tracking deer in snow is walk in their tracks because they circle and you will lose the freshest ones, went past my truck 7 times one day until I got my shot.
Snow too deep is just too much work.
A big buck will go a more direct route instead of going in circles, he will cover more ground.

Wolfer
08-04-2014, 12:48 PM
I could never be sure by the drag marks. I've always tried the find a track That I could gently move the snow back and actually see the track. Powder snow on frozen ground this can be difficult. Sometimes you can find where they crossed a seep or other unfrozen ground and the hoof pressed into the mud.
this all may sound complicated but I can usually determine direction within a few yards.

Ive also see a big buck circle around and bed down in a tree top 15 yards from his track. He layed right there until I went by. A 200 yd circle I came to his still warm bed and could easily see my tracks. At ground level I never would have seen him.

jhalcott
08-04-2014, 02:48 PM
Quite interesting thread. Since I no longer hunt in deep snow, I don't know what I'll do with the info!

44man
08-04-2014, 03:00 PM
Us old guys walk like a buck too. I roll my feet on walnuts and tiny sticks. Just clear the ground. A belly is as bad as a big rack! :bigsmyl2: