PDA

View Full Version : lead free pellets

plmitch
08-03-2014, 07:40 PM
I haven't tried the lead free pellets yet. Are they worth the money? Seem expensive.

MT Chambers
08-04-2014, 03:36 PM
Pellet design is such that they slow down relatively quickly, anything lighter then lead will make that worse, IMHO.

300winmag
08-04-2014, 09:17 PM
I haven't tried the lead free pellets yet. Are they worth the money? Seem expensive.
Waste of time and money.

plmitch
08-04-2014, 10:47 PM
Kinda what I figured but thought I'd ask. Lots mixed reviews out there.

xacex
08-05-2014, 12:01 AM
Are those for hunting in California? :groner::kidding:

nhrifle
08-05-2014, 01:30 AM
The only respectable use I have found for them is to swage them into cores for light weight jacketed bullets.

Littleton Shot Maker
08-05-2014, 05:42 AM
we have made some lead free shot over the last 10 years and it worked very well in shotguns- mix was 5% tin- 95% Bismuth it will weigh very very close to pure lead. (2% tin will get you closer but be more brittle 'harder")
I want to try this myself soon, still need to order the Nomad molds to do it but I think it 'could' work in an air gun BUT I am no expert at that- something I just got into - .25 Marauder and having too much fun now.
What are the current lead free pellets made of?? I have not gone looking for them yet but I also don't live- hunt- or go to Cali if I don't NEED to.

plmitch
08-05-2014, 08:08 AM
Are those for hunting in California?

I don't belive that was the original intent of the designers.

n.h.schmidt
08-05-2014, 08:13 AM
The lead free pellets are made in two ways.One way is to make them from tin. These at least look like the pellets we use now. The other way is a moulded plastic body with some type of insert .A steel ball or formed zinc insert. Some places already do not allow lead to be used for shooting.Some ranges too. I have tried only one lead free pellet .Daisy made a pointed lead free pellet some years ago. Speeds are really high .Easily gaining a 150fps over the fastest lead pellet. With the guns I tried them in accuracy was pretty bad but man did they penetrate. Hi speed pointed and hard they would go through many things. Even a very weak gun could go through a steel can.
Sometime I'm going to try the H&N Baracuda Green lead free pellets. They are not priced so high and have a good look to them.
n.h.schmidt