PDA

View Full Version : Magma molds odd gas check sizes

chloe123
08-02-2014, 08:43 PM
(Crud, I realized this topic should be in 'molds'--apologies)

I hesitated on ordering a few Magma molds when I read that some have unusual shank size for the checks. They don't produce many gas check designs, maybe 10 or so. I was interested in the 454 Casull(.452) mold and probably 500L.

Regarding the 452 boolit, apparently convention is .426 for the shank--but per a post from another member a year some ago--he measured .430 on the Magma. This limits using the typical copper gas check for a 45lc from the popular makers.

They do sell 45-70 (459 I believe) molds but (1) I don't know if the dimensions for the GC would be different (2) I'm not sure how wise it would be to size a bullet down to 452 without an additional in between die, like a 454

I want to support Magma but if it turns out the shank is unconventional size I may have to look elsewhere.

Any of the fine Boolit members have experience with GC designed Magma molds?

elwood4884
08-26-2014, 04:54 PM
Chloe,

We have some experience with 454 Casull molds and gas checks. We might be able to help. Please feel free to send me a private message or use the calculator on our website to determine what thickness gas checks you need.

JO

(Crud, I realized this topic should be in 'molds'--apologies)

I hesitated on ordering a few Magma molds when I read that some have unusual shank size for the checks. They don't produce many gas check designs, maybe 10 or so. I was interested in the 454 Casull(.452) mold and probably 500L.

Regarding the 452 boolit, apparently convention is .426 for the shank--but per a post from another member a year some ago--he measured .430 on the Magma. This limits using the typical copper gas check for a 45lc from the popular makers.

They do sell 45-70 (459 I believe) molds but (1) I don't know if the dimensions for the GC would be different (2) I'm not sure how wise it would be to size a bullet down to 452 without an additional in between die, like a 454

I want to support Magma but if it turns out the shank is unconventional size I may have to look elsewhere.

Any of the fine Boolit members have experience with GC designed Magma molds?

chloe123
08-27-2014, 10:52 AM
Thank you for the response and will keep you in mind for the future. I'm a fan of Magma and wanted to support;however, I had to look elsewhere for GC molds due to limited--and in the case of the 454--unconventional design. Fwiw, I looked to Tom at Accurate Molds.