Just Duke
08-01-2014, 01:47 AM
What does goat taste like just curios

shaggybull
08-01-2014, 03:36 AM
wild of domestic? about like Llama

sthwestvictoria
08-01-2014, 03:55 AM
Australia feral goat is excellent eating if you get a nanny or kid, just treat it like lamb.
Cook long and slow in a casserole or curry, I have had less success with roasting legs of it like lamb.

NavyVet1959
08-01-2014, 03:58 AM

Probably rather salty... As in "old salt"... :)

coleman
08-01-2014, 04:59 AM
It depends on what you feed them. Feed them tin can and weeds it will taste like tin cans and weeds, Good corn, wheat, milo, good hay make for some fine tasting goat. its been 20yrs since I have eaten goat I thought it was good.

redriverhunter
08-01-2014, 05:52 AM
my experience is that goat tastes somewhat like they smell.

Taylor
08-01-2014, 06:07 AM
Only ate goat one time,Bar-B-Q'ed, with lot's of beer,I don't remember it being bad.Of course chicken comes to mind.

B R Shooter
08-01-2014, 06:25 AM
Tastes like .........

BNE
08-01-2014, 06:26 AM
Like sheep. My father in law raises them and I could not tell the difference once barbecued. I have been told that the gyro places often are serving goat, but I have no proof of that.

Finster101
08-01-2014, 06:37 AM
I will have to agree with B R Shooter. I don't care for it or lamb.

Lloyd Smale
08-01-2014, 06:43 AM
I think lamb is excellent but you can have goat. We shot two at the buddys game farm. Usually nobody eats them but my dad will eat anything so i butchered the smaller one for him. Even he tossed it out. Said it stunk the whole house up like pee when he cooked it.

chuckbuster
08-01-2014, 06:46 AM
Have not had it but if like lamb as others have said, look up "Adobo Rub" on the Food Channel or similar. It is basically equal parts of White Vinegar, Garlic, Oregano, Black Pepper, Salt and Olive oil,
Marinate for 2-3 days in the fridge, insert slices of fresh garlic clove all over in it
Slow roast with Mesquite
A Spanish Rioja or most any Portuguese Red Wine to wash it down.

Kevin

CastingFool
08-01-2014, 06:55 AM
We have a friend who raises goats for milk and meat. She's told me it tastes like venison. She did not tell me how she cooks it.

Hickory
08-01-2014, 07:10 AM
Tastes like antelope.

Don't anyone say it tastes like chicken.

Pb2au
08-01-2014, 07:30 AM
In my experience goat is similar to lamb in that it has a quasi-beefy flavor with a distinct note. It can be tough, like any other large muscled animal, so from whence it came is important. Billys are musky strong and to me not too palatable.
I've eaten gabrito in Mexico and found it to be excellent. It is essentially barbecued goat meat that has been marinated in a myriad of stuff. Most of what I had down there was young goats, under a year old.
Goats are pretty easy to raise. Billys are a royal pain in the posterior as they tend to have some attitude and to be frank, they stink. A lot. I mean they reak.
Though I am not a fan of the milk straight, goat cheese is one of the things in life to treasure.
We always kept a couple around my grandfather's farm for company to the horses and general amusement. Baby goats are actually a lot of fun and cute as a button.
But yeah, prepped correctly, they can be quite tasty.

Southern Son
08-01-2014, 07:31 AM
We had a bloke in my old pistol club that had Italian heritage. For the Christmas Party he used to go out and head shoot a couple of kids (young goats, I should point out, I am told that the other type of kid tastes dodgy), then slow cooked them on a spit in a home made Webber BBQ (made it out of a Washing Machine, used the motor to spin the goats over a gas flames). One year he cooked them with stuffing, one was apple and cinnamon and the other apricot and almond. They were the best game meats I have ever eaten. My mouth is watering just thinking about those two goats, and that was about 15 years ago.

Driver man
08-01-2014, 07:58 AM
Goat meat tastes nearly like lamb hogget or mutton.(all sheep) Depends what feed its had. Best cooked long and low..Always cook sheep and goat meats 330 or under. The older goats can be a bit tougher but the kids are so tender and tasty its a treat. Great roasted or curried.

nekshot
08-01-2014, 08:11 AM
the only time I had goat was in africa and it was that tough and rare the blood was dripping off my fingers from holding it and trying to chew it. I am going to find out because the doc wants me on a lean meat so we are going to raise the males from my daughters milk goats.

Sweetpea
08-01-2014, 08:11 AM
Makes great chili.

Hard to beat a bowl of goat...

Bulldogger
08-01-2014, 08:13 AM
In my experience, with store bought (which is not easy to find if you aren't brave enough to go into dodgy ethnic markets), it's a large muscle fiber meat and can be very tough to chew if not cooked correctly. I recommend following the above recommendations about low and slow cooking, and a marinade or spicy base works well too.
I have a recipe for curried goat that I like to make about once a year. Cook it for 2.5 hours on low heat and serve over rice. I love it. I like toothsome meats, but not tough meat, so the secret with goat is get 'em young, female preferred, and cook low and slow with good spices.

If you can get very young male that's OK too, so long as he hasn't started to stink. I would not eat a Billy if you paid me.

Bulldogger

doc1876
08-01-2014, 08:37 AM
I have heard of great tasting goat and sheep. I never had any. Blaahh

buckwheatpaul
08-01-2014, 07:15 PM
It is great...dont overcook it and by all mean all bacon!

bubba.50
08-01-2014, 07:19 PM
tastes about like venison.

Just Duke
08-01-2014, 07:20 PM
The forums back up.
Antelope tastes almost as bad as Jack Rabbit. Ick!!!

montana_charlie
08-01-2014, 07:34 PM
Antelope tastes almost as bad as Jack Rabbit. Ick!!!
Carefully shot and properly cared for, pronghorn antelope is like venison with a slight sweetness to it.
It is excellent, even when simply grilled over charcoal with salt and pepper for seasoning.

CM

GOPHER SLAYER
08-01-2014, 07:41 PM
I had goat meat one time. It had all the great taste and fine texture of leather boot laces.

MT Gianni
08-01-2014, 07:57 PM
Goat is a lot like Antelope in that the fibers are long and not necessarily tight to each other. It could be referred to as stringy for that reason. On a grass diet from a pasture they do well cooked with moisture or basted. They prefer broadleaf plants and some of those van make them stink all through. Slow roast in a Dutch Oven or marinade and baste frequently and it is OK to good.
Gyro meat even in Greece is not goat. It is in the US a mixture of 50-50 Beef and lean mutton or lamb pounded and pressed together. I have seen some recipes that called for added venison but in Greece that usually means Hare.

DougGuy
08-01-2014, 07:58 PM
I had Corsican Ram a.k.a. Mountain Goat once and it was freekin' AWESOME, cooked in a roaster with gravy and taters, carots, onions like a roast of beef, it was sorta sweet tasting, MUCH sweeter than venison cooked the same way, but the guy that shot it was very particular hunter so he knew how to dress it out in the field which made a difference in the meat.

I also have had curried goat a number of times cooked Island Style (Trinidad And Tobago) with the Scotch Bonnet peppers and all the seasonings and I love it. They cook it bone in which flavors the meat better too, if you to to a Jamaican market in NYC for instance, you will see goat there with the bone in, they saw the bones so they are opened up and the marrow can get to the spices as well as flavor it.

Teddo
08-01-2014, 08:10 PM
Exactly, only not a gut shot antelope....Teddo

brtelec
08-01-2014, 08:20 PM
I have eaten a lot of goat, and it is much like sheep in that, the younger the better. I love Cabrito and kid but do not care for the strong taste of a mature goat, just as I love lamb but hate mutton. It does not taste at all like lamb or mutton unless you are burying the taste in a curry or other strong seasoning. In that case everything tastes the same. Cabrito is a delicacy in Northern Mexico, it is very young kid separated front and rear and cracked open flat, marinated and grilled over an open mesquite fire. They also take all the internals and stuff them in the stomach like a Hagis and roast it over the open fire. That is seriously good eating.

leeggen
08-01-2014, 08:44 PM
We raise goats and they do have a venison like taste. We debone an d grind all our goat into hamberger and make sausage out of some of it. We use it for chili soup and anything you would use hamberger for. Ours are all grass pasture fed. The trick is to not get the adrenalyn up in the goat before killing and bleeding, then you let the meat soak overnite in icewater with a little salt to help pull the blood out of the meat. Goat flavor is all in the prepping of the meat.
CD

bear67
08-01-2014, 08:56 PM
Goat tastes like goat, not lamb, mutton, venison, elk or moose. Really young goat tastes like a heavenly barbecue. I have probably cooked 400+ goats in the last 50 or so years and it remains one of my families favorite excuse to throw a bash. I love to cook good lamb either on the pit or in the oven, but prefer goat. My children raised 1-200 doggie lambs when growing up as our neighbors had 20.000 finewool ewes and we got all the orphans. I cooked 4 real cabrito (means the milk teeth are still present) back in May for oldest grandson's graduation party and there was little left over but I had extra brisket to freeze. These 4 were still nursing mama and on some good grass, clover and vetch. Just did not need to save any billys this year.

I used to be a judge for the World Goat Cookoff in Mason, Texas and you really don't need exotic recipes to make good cabrito or carbon. I use a dry spice rub, cook low and slow and use a wet mop solution for the last one third of the cooking time.

We used to cook 15-20 at a time for 4-H and FFA parties and fire department "doos". Young goat is easier to skin than any other animal, domestic or wild. My youngest red headed daughter (now 36) could skin a goat in just a few minutes when she was 8 and loved doing so. We skin goats with a water hose and your fist and no effort. Just split the belly, gut, then ring the legs and split to the mid line and the skin pulls off easily. We quit milking a cow when the oldest left home and the younger ones were raised on goat milk. For those of you who have not tried it, Goat's milk makes the very best homemade ice cream. With Lache con vaca (cow's milk) icecream, it cristylizes when frozen as leftover, but lache con chivos (goats milk) never separates as it is almost impossible to separate the cream.

Charley
08-01-2014, 09:34 PM
Barbequed young goat is good stuff. Slow fire, and a vinegar/water/salt/pepper basting solution works well. Very lean, similar to antelope and whitetail in that respect.

williamwaco
08-01-2014, 10:05 PM
Many years ago, I was in the ranching business.

Every summer we had a barbeque for all the ranch hands and their families.

There would be 50 to 60 people at each event. In the beginning we cooked beef. One year someone ask us to try a goat so that year we added a goat. It was so popular that the next year we cooked two goats and just a little beef and by the next year it was 100% goat.

There was much talk in the beginning( before we cooked the first goat ) about how awful goat smelled and tasted. None of it turned out to be true. The taste was slightly gamier than beef but there was no objectionable smell. ( No, it did not taste like chicken.) Everyone loved it and looked forward to the July barbeque.

( Yes there was a "modest" amount of beer but even the kids and the Coke drinkers, loved the goat barbeque. )

These goats were purchased at the local sale barn and taken immediately to the local slaughter house.

Find you a Mexican restaurant, the "real" ones usually serve cabrito. Try it you will like it.

schutzen
08-01-2014, 10:06 PM
I can not speak about wild goats shot on the range, but tame goats are quite good when barbequed. We try to do one each 4th of July for a family reunion. They are very similar to lamb, but tend to be more tender and milder in flavor. Make sure you get a nanny goat or a male castrated as a kid. The billy goats are much like a boar hog, they are quite rank and it is difficult to get the taste out. Soaking in apple cider vinegar for 24 hours and them sweet milk for 24 hours is what I have always herad, but we never tried it. We always try to barbeque a goat over a slow hickory fire for 18 to 24 hours, very tender and very flavorful.

smoked turkey
08-01-2014, 11:00 PM
This reminds me of a gathering in which we were all preparing and bringing home made ice cream. One of the guys had milk goats. I had gotten a bowel of his ice cream and I knew there was something different about it. He then made the remark " If I didn't tell you, you wouldn't guess that my ice cream was made with goat's milk". I'll just say this..I sure could tell and I didn't care for it. Just me I guess.

crazy mark
08-01-2014, 11:43 PM
I ground some I was given into burger. Added a little fat to it. Was from milk goats (nubians). Tasted fine in various dishes. When I tried some steak it tasted a little gamey though.

Artful
08-01-2014, 11:50 PM
Mexican
Hola Cabrita
http://phxfoodnerds.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=511

or tastes like a hot curry dish from india or pakistan
but my local fav only has it sometimes...
http://currycornertempe.com/index.html

- or some nice french dishes

Goats good - I kid you not :-P

Ed Barrett
08-02-2014, 12:15 AM
When I lived down in McAllen Texas back in the 70's, twice a week I would go across the Border to Renosa. Order cabrito and drink beer til it was ready. My mouth waters every time I think about it, to owner said the best cabrito was 21 day old goat and that's all he served.

Pepe Ray
08-02-2014, 12:19 AM
necshot;
Bucks, (male goat), are best when slaughtered before they start getting horny. I've never kept any that long so estimate about 4 month, MAX.
We had a milk goat. A pleasant memory, The milk was wonderfull, for anyone who ordinarily likes milk. We were cautious where we let her graze and kept NO BUCKS,EVER. Bucks stink. They deliberately urinate on themselves and spread it as much as possible. To breed our goat we took her to a farm with a Billy and shampoed her when we got her home. This is the only way to keep the milk untainted.

Her kids were always made table fair as soon as practical. Whether stir fried, ka-bobbed, stewed or chillied the meat was most like venison. Treated as if it were venison it always came out GOOD.

I miss them both, the milk maid and the goat.
Pepe Ray

MaryB
08-02-2014, 01:28 AM
I cook one every year for the local migrant farm crew(young kids from TX who are working their way through college, all US citizens). I would say it is like gamey grass fed beef. Bit to gamey for me, I will eat it but not my favorite.

GLL
08-02-2014, 11:36 AM
Very young kid (whole) for BBQ cabrito is readily available at Mexican meat markets here in the Los Angleles area.
Good stuff with home made salsas, pastor sauce, and galvanized tub of iced beers !

Jerry

captbligh
08-02-2014, 01:53 PM
Several years ago in Spain a friend bought a really young goat from a local farmer who butchered it and took the meat to another local who ran a woodfired brick bread oven on weekends for locals to bring in lamb, chickens, goats, or whatever to be roasted. He was locally famous for his basting sauce which I think was wine, oil, garlic, onions, and some herbs probably rosemary and thyme, but I'm just guessing. The goat was absolutely delicious !! Flavorful and very tender. Tasted a little like very young lamb, but a little more flavor. Loved it.

smokeywolf
08-02-2014, 03:01 PM
The Filipinos make a kind of a diced meat, vegetable (no lettuce) stew called Calding or Kambing. The version I had was more of a cold salad, reminiscent of a cold bean, vegetable and diced meat salad. It not only had the meat, but also the skin of the goat.
I remember being glad at the time that I had tasted it before I asked what it was. I also remember going back for second and third helpings.

To me, it had a similarity to lamb, but with a slightly less muttony aftertaste.

Occurs to me that with the right goat, eating the right feed, slaughtered at the right age, a leg might smoke up real nice.

smokeywolf

Sagebrush7
08-02-2014, 08:52 PM
Justin Wilson says it taste like owl. Little better than buzzard!

10-x
08-02-2014, 09:17 PM
IIRC it was 1973, at FT. Bragg after a tour in Vietnam, decided to try out for AMTU. After a few weeks the NCOIC invited everyone And their wives to a cook out. We all went with wives in tow, great food and good time. After all was said and done someone asked what kind of meat he cooked and where he got it. Goat was his reply, should have seen the the look on the wives faces.LOL

NavyVet1959
08-02-2014, 09:27 PM
IIRC it was 1973, at FT. Bragg after a tour in Vietnam, decided to try out for AMTU. After a few weeks the NCOIC invited everyone And their wives to a cook out. We all went with wives in tow, great food and good time. After all was said and done someone asked what kind of meat he cooked and where he got it. Goat was his reply, should have seen the the look on the wives faces.LOL

Imagine the look if he had told them it was dog...

troyboy
08-03-2014, 09:55 PM
Had curry goat in Jamaica. It was really good.

bob208
08-04-2014, 01:27 PM
well in summation. it all depends on how it is cooked, how hungry you are,

the place next door put in a solar farm. they asked if we would mind if they put in some goats to keep the weeds down. I said we never ate one before but we world give it a try. that was 5 years ago and still no goats.

NavyVet1959
08-04-2014, 02:44 PM
I was down in Key West a few years ago and stumbled across some military facility on the SW side of the island. Looking it up on Google Maps seems to indicate that it is the the Truman Annex of Naval Air Station Key West and was originally part of the Army's Fort Zachary Taylor. I noticed that they had goats eating the grass on some sort of large berms which I assumed were old ammunition bunkers.

westen
08-04-2014, 07:33 PM
When I lived down in McAllen Texas back in the 70's, twice a week I would go across the Border to Renosa. Order cabrito and drink beer til it was ready. My mouth waters every time I think about it, to owner said the best cabrito was 21 day old goat and that's all he served.

I use to have to work in Brownsville Tx a few times a year. I loved crossing the border for some Cabrito and bring back some goat Tacos and a gallon of Crown Royal.

btroj
08-04-2014, 07:44 PM

Ever kiss your mother in law?

like that

Just Duke
08-04-2014, 07:57 PM
I was down in Key West a few years ago and stumbled across some military facility on the SW side of the island. Looking it up on Google Maps seems to indicate that it is the the Truman Annex of Naval Air Station Key West and was originally part of the Army's Fort Zachary Taylor. I noticed that they had goats eating the grass on some sort of large berms which I assumed were old ammunition bunkers.

The military is using goat subcontractors to clear out Poison Ivy at old military bases and such.

Just Duke
08-04-2014, 08:01 PM
Ever kiss your mother in law?

like that

Mother in law? You haven't seen the pics of my mother in law I have posted here?

btroj
08-04-2014, 08:32 PM
Mother in law? You haven't seen the pics of my mother in law I have posted here?

I have, that is the point.

RugerFan
08-04-2014, 09:12 PM
In 2000 I had goat (or perhaps it was sheep) meat in a swarma sandwich at a small café in Kuwait City. It was too strong tasting for my liking. I have also shot a couple of Corsican rams in TX and thought the meat was fine.

TES
08-04-2014, 09:50 PM
In Iceland they will tell you it tastes great...here in the US they will say it does not taste like beef.....look up Icelandic recipes for goat.