PDA

View Full Version : Ford F-550 Hauling question

Just Duke
07-31-2014, 10:23 PM
Can I safely and legally haul 16K of hay with this 7.3 liter Ford F-550 truck.
If I need a CDL passing the test at least for me would be a no brainer.
(Actually Barbie would remember everything in the book cover to cover and score higher than myself.)
Hiring someone to haul it for me is not an option.
I would very much appreciate a polite respectful answers as several ladies will be viewing this thread.
The trailer in the picture is off the internet and not mine.
Buying the hay local is also not an option. No hay is to be had.

Pb2au
07-31-2014, 10:30 PM
If my memory serves me correctly, the target is 26,000# So truck weight, plus trailer weight, subtracted from 26000 gives you what you can haul (hay) without a CDL.
At least, that was what I was lead to believe here in Ohio, and our DOT department is just a delightful bunch of fellows....
Give your DOT a call, they will lay it out for you.

Deep Six
07-31-2014, 10:35 PM
What year is it? The latest 350s are rated for 31K or something ridiculous. Just research and observe all the DOT laws and make sure you have the correct license. I wouldn't worry about the truck; those Fords are pretty stout. I just pulled 5 yards of gravel in a dump trailer (about 18K) with my 1995 F-250. The old 4.9 six could barely hold 15 mph going up hills in 2nd gear (5-spd ZF S5-42) with the pedal on the floor but she went as fast as I dared on level ground. My buddy has an 87 F-350 with a 521 gasser (stroked out 460 big block) that has been known to pull a 26K car hauler up hills (midwestern hills anyways) at 75 mph.

Like I said, just make sure you've got the right license and your equipment is up to date with all DOT regs.

Just Duke
07-31-2014, 10:43 PM
I forgot I'm just told and added the 7.3 liter to the OP.

Deep Six
07-31-2014, 10:53 PM
What transmission? A large trailer is going to wear on an automatic more than it will on a manual. Either way it should be within the truck's design rating though. A stock 7.3 is going to get a little slow going up the hills out west (I assume your route is out west from your profile location). Just keep it full of oil and antifreeze and it won't hurt anything though.

starmac
07-31-2014, 11:04 PM
You will have to look at the 550's gvw to determine legality, the trailer will depend on which axles and tires are on it to determine the legal amount one can haul. There should be a manufacturers vin plate on it that will have the info, as far as safely, that would be up to the driver (you). Are you talking a load or two once in a while, or a regular thing.

You will not be able to legally haul 20,000 pounds of hay without crossing the 26001 pound limit requiring a cdl.

HarryT
07-31-2014, 11:26 PM
If the truck is registered as a farm vehicle you probably do not need a CDL to haul over 26,000 pounds. Check with the DMV in NV, OR, and WA to find out. If a CDL is needed you can always divide the load and make a few extra trips.

Just Duke
07-31-2014, 11:26 PM
So take it down to 18,000 then?

winchester85
07-31-2014, 11:34 PM
if you are traveling locally, i would just do it. i see pickups with trailers with 10 round bales all the time. a few weeks ago i hauled 26 3x3's with an f-350.

from what i am told, if the total of the vehicle gvw and trailer gvw together are more than 26k, then you need a cdl.

states have different rules, check with the DOT in the state you will be in.

Just Duke
07-31-2014, 11:40 PM
The bales weight 45 pounds and total load would be 16,000.

TreeKiller
07-31-2014, 11:57 PM
The bales weight 45 pounds and total load would be 16,000.
That gives you 9,999 lb for truck and trailer I think that a F550 would be close to that. What does the sticker on the door post say? Had a friend in CA get a 5th wheel trailer new and had them de rate it and re sticker the trailer for a lower weight limit so he could haul a D4 Cat and be under 26,000

Just Duke
07-31-2014, 11:58 PM
Updated to state 16,000 pounds.

runfiverun
08-01-2014, 12:10 AM
total [gross] load weight Duke.
truck, trailer, and load.
you have other things to look at like tongue weight, tire capacity etc, also to keep yourself safe.
quite often agricultural loads don't require a cdl except when they cross state lines, and even then there is an exception depending on the locality [distance of the trip and if it's for personal use]
like moving your cows from one pasture you own to another one you own.
the load of hay may require a certificate of it being weed free also depending on the state...
and to make things a little more complicated your weight may change how it's configured from state to state depending on if they use bridge weight, or axle weight.
you'll also have to check height requirements, some states allow 14' and some 14'-6", it sucks taking out a street/traffic light or hitting a bridge.

ain't the government regulations wonderful?
just be glad it isn't a Haz-mat, or oversized/overweight load.
the nsa, dot, and every state has different rules for that.

ooooh yeah,,, I think the truck can handle the load, if it's balanced properly so you can steer the thing.

MaryB
08-01-2014, 01:48 AM
MN farm hauling limits are high, 90,000 pounds on 6 axles, 97,000 on 7 axle or more.

doc1876
08-01-2014, 08:46 AM
I would most likely get the cdl if you can, and that will give you a lot of information you are seeking.
the truck should haul it ok. I drove a chevy 350 for the feds and hauled more than that. Stopping however is another matter. Brakes in a rig like that are real handy.

xbeeman412
08-01-2014, 09:29 AM
I have owne our 550 since new in 2000 and have hauled 20,000 pounds of alfalfa on the 40 ft flat bed.Thrck and trailer grossed out at 38 k.

Make sure U have good trailer brakes as that is the only way to stop a big load. The truck is rated to weight of 17500 without the trailer load.

By the way the trailer I pulled was a 5th wheel hookup not a goose neck. I wouldn't be afraid to haul 9 tons of hay as long as it wasent through the mountains. Our truck is an automatic 4x4.

Handloader109
08-01-2014, 07:15 PM
Pulled a 12k rv with a 97 f250 7.3 with no trouble at all. Was an automatic. As far as legally I couldn't tell you about your state regulations.

stephenj
08-01-2014, 07:35 PM
You realy have to interpit laws carefully . .. 26,000 lbs is the cut off for single vehicles .
It doesnt always work as a combination vehicle limit .
Quite a few states with truck plates pulling a trailer with gvw of 10,002 is enoigh to require you to need a cdl
Regardless of your trucks gvw or weight .. ie your combined gvw could be 18,000 lbs
And still require you to have a cdl

If your state like ohio is going to require your 550 to have truck plates
You also will need to get other things inline as well such as dot /puco numbers .. fiel tax stamps
And a medical card to cross state lines and possibly aportioned plates in some stayes.

Paying frieght starts to look a lot cheaper when you look at what you need to go threw to do things legaly

Just Duke
08-01-2014, 07:47 PM
Paying frieght starts to look a lot cheaper when you look at what you need to go threw to do things legaly

I have learned the hard way not to depend on anyone but myself.
I still have two pallets of Spanish Terra Cotta Floor tile I have paid to have installed twice. No thanks. Whatever it takes I'll do it myself.

Ehaver
08-01-2014, 10:04 PM
If you got your CDL, couldnt you just rent a semi truck and trailer?

This is just from the Ryder website,

Flatbed Trailer
Flatbed Trailer

Lengths of 45 ft. and 48 ft. lengthsWidths of 96" or 102"Light aluminum and steel flatbed construction available to increase payload capacity

USD $ 38.95 Daily Rate
USD $ 272.65 Weekly Rate
USD $ 0.06 Per Mile

and the tractor

Single Axle Tractor
Single Axle Tractor

Electronic engines, air shields on air fairing and cab extenders maximize power and fuel efficiencyPerfect for city and local deliveries Power steering, air conditioning, motorized mirrors, well appointed cab interiors for driven comfort

USD $ 161.95 Daily Rate
USD $ 809.75 Weekly Rate
USD $ 0.19 Per Mile
USD $0.00 Reefer Rate
See Vehicle Details

the tandem axel is ten dollars more a day and same per mile.

http://www.ryder.com/truck-rental/tractor-rental.aspx

MaryB
08-02-2014, 01:56 AM
Keep in mind farm regulations are different in many states so if you can claim farm use...

Just Duke
08-02-2014, 03:15 AM
If you got your CDL, couldnt you just rent a semi truck and trailer?

This is just from the Ryder website,

Flatbed Trailer
Flatbed Trailer

Lengths of 45 ft. and 48 ft. lengthsWidths of 96" or 102"Light aluminum and steel flatbed construction available to increase payload capacity

USD $ 38.95 Daily Rate
USD $ 272.65 Weekly Rate
USD $ 0.06 Per Mile

and the tractor

Single Axle Tractor
Single Axle Tractor

Electronic engines, air shields on air fairing and cab extenders maximize power and fuel efficiencyPerfect for city and local deliveries Power steering, air conditioning, motorized mirrors, well appointed cab interiors for driven comfort

USD $ 161.95 Daily Rate
USD $ 809.75 Weekly Rate
USD $ 0.19 Per Mile
USD $0.00 Reefer Rate
See Vehicle Details

the tandem axel is ten dollars more a day and same per mile.

http://www.ryder.com/truck-rental/tractor-rental.aspx

6bg6ga
08-02-2014, 07:43 AM

Generally that is the safest attitude.

If it were me first of all I would get a CDL. I used to have one and the wife currently has one. Semi in not a guaranty with a lot of CDL's because the semi portion is a rider on the standard CDL just like the school bus portion is a rider on a standard CDL in most states.

If you have access to a trailor then if it were me I would pull my own load remembering to lock it out of overdrive is so equipped with a automatic transmission. I have pulled a lot more weight in electronic gear to a site than your going to have in hay. Yes, I think the truck will handle the load.

starmac
08-02-2014, 10:31 PM
If you do not need a cdl, I wouldn't mess with the hassle of getting and maintaining one.

TXGunNut
08-03-2014, 12:52 AM
Check out the ag exemptions. May not work for interstate but worth a look.

6bg6ga
08-03-2014, 05:58 AM
Its not worth the hassel to chance driving the 550 and a trailer without a CDL. They are extremely easy to get and easy to keep. If for example the weights are wrong and you get stopped and they setup portable scales and your weight is over you'll be glad you had the CDL.

HeavyMetal
08-03-2014, 10:39 AM
Not sure about Nevada but here in Cali you have to pass a physical to get your CDL, Class A is different than Class B but you still need a physical to complete.

I am no longer eligible because I take small amounts of Insulin, this instantly bars you from a CDL in Cali!

I'd check that out before going further, a DMV handbook, or DMV website should have that requirement stated and Barbie may need to get that CDL, LOL!

I'm thinking you may need to look at the several load option to get this done.

Good luck with it.

merlin101
08-03-2014, 11:45 AM
If you do not need a cdl, I wouldn't mess with the hassle of getting and maintaining one.
I second that!! As soon as you get a cdl A your in a whole different world as far as DOT regulations go. Stay with a regular 4-wheeler class.
The 550 if in good shape should handle it.
How far do you have to go and what type of terrain ? I know you got some pretty big hill out west:-P
Hows the trailer, brakes, bearing,lights ect. A lot to consider.

Efin
08-03-2014, 12:05 PM
I drive a 2001 7.3, to pull my 5th wheel, it's under 15000lbs so I don't need a class A here in California, but I'm supposed to get a supplement / take a written test at the DMV. Towing anything 15000lbs gvw and over requires the A, basically a license to drive a semi. You must take a class which will have behind the wheel hours and finally take the written portion with a driving portion. My son did this a year ago for his job in order to drive their larger trucks. I belive the course was just under $5k, many are available so you may get a better deal. Good luck, and that truck should handle things fine, the engine can handle it, the tranny is the weak link.

starmac
08-03-2014, 02:28 PM
The physical is a federal thing. The rules for them has changed twice in the last couple of years, no longer do you just go to any doctor and keep a card in your pocket. A cdl also puts you in a whole different category as far as ANY tickets go. Again I wouldn't mess with one unless it was putting money in my pocket, because it surely takes money out maintaining one, not to mention the hassle.
There are some farm exemptions, that vary from state to state, and may apply, depending on your situation. Most of them have a distance from the farm you can travel.
A 550 is not a vehicle I would want to own and maintain, unless I had a lot of use for it, personally if I was talking just a few loads a year, I would look at other options, if it is a steady thing I would also look at different options, like a small truck, instead of an oversize pickup.

multigunner76
08-03-2014, 02:53 PM
I kinda skipped through and read a little bit of this thread. I haul 20,000 pounds of hay on a gooseneck with a f450 with no problems. There are no laws preventing me from doing this in Louisiana.
The truck can handle the load with no problems. The key is trailer Brakes. The OP said a f550. So I see no issues and no need for a CDL unless he is hauling this load for pay. Then its a commercial arrangement. He will need a CDL and must cross scales. Just my 2cents with no coffee yet.

Just Duke
08-04-2014, 11:06 PM
Thanks for all the info guys. :bigsmyl2:

6bg6ga
08-05-2014, 06:10 AM
I kinda skipped through and read a little bit of this thread. I haul 20,000 pounds of hay on a gooseneck with a f450 with no problems. There are no laws preventing me from doing this in Louisiana.
The truck can handle the load with no problems. The key is trailer Brakes. The OP said a f550. So I see no issues and no need for a CDL unless he is hauling this load for pay. Then its a commercial arrangement. He will need a CDL and must cross scales. Just my 2cents with no coffee yet.

I have had to cross the scales when driving a straight truck so I don't think not being commercial exempts you from driving past the scales. Most scales have signs that say vehicles over 6,000 lbs must weigh.

multigunner76
08-05-2014, 10:50 PM
In LA. If its not for hire, as in personal use, no cdl required. No scales required. Its kinda messed up. I owned Tow Trucks for years. It was a commercial truck running D.O.T and lpsa numbers. No scales required

starmac
08-05-2014, 11:47 PM
Different states have different requirements as far as what has to cross the scales.