PDA

View Full Version : My name is Dutch, and I'm a gun-aholic.

wallenba
07-31-2014, 10:03 PM
Sinking to rock bottom here. Got the addiction bad. Today, while on the Midway site, I ordered a set of RCBS cowboy dies for 45-70. I don't own a 45-70. Yet. It's only a matter of time now until I give in to my urges and get one. I did it to qualify for the $50 rebate on $300 purchase. Sure the set was only $59.99, so I got them for just $10. :oops:

Now, I got to go buy something nice for Patty. Then she'll know something's up. I'm in trouble.

Well... what rifle should I look for?

foesgth
07-31-2014, 10:07 PM
I don't know what kind of 45-70 do you think Patty would like to shoot?:kidding:

Hickory
07-31-2014, 10:08 PM
Sorry to hear of your affliction.
You'll find no help or therapy here.:bigsmyl2:

Beagle333
07-31-2014, 10:14 PM
No sympathy here. I bought sets of 41 mag dies and 30-06 dies and I don't own either one. 'Not even really looking for one! LOL

I won't even list the molds that I have bought for calibers I don't own. :holysheep

obssd1958
07-31-2014, 11:55 PM
Well... what rifle should I look for?

I like my H&R. I originally got it with a 30-06 barrel on it, but almost immediately sent it back to H&R to have .223 and 45-70 barrels fit to the frame. I chose the 32" buffalo classic barrel for the 45-70, and it's a really good shooter.

Don (the enabler!)

Bzcraig
08-01-2014, 12:11 AM
I ALWAYS justify my purchases with how much money I save. And to think I used to criticize those who thought "the more I spend, the more I save."

runfiverun
08-01-2014, 12:16 AM
there's a pretty nice browning 1886 for sale in the swap and sell section right now.
the crescent steel butt plate might persuade patty to not shoot it too much.
a couple of twists with a throating reamer and those rifles will shoot quite well...

I ain't no better.
when I finally bought a 45/70 I had a mold [plus a couple hundred boolits cast and lube-sized] a die set and brass on hand.
the brass was over 10 years old before it was loaded [shrug]

Wayne Smith
08-01-2014, 07:32 AM
I don't know what kind of 45-70 do you think Patty would like to shoot?:kidding:

I wouldn't pull the chain on that one. Chris' (Arisaka99) Alyssa loves, and I mean loves, my Encore 45-70! I keep expecting it not to come home every time she 'borrows' it.

waynem34
08-01-2014, 07:45 AM
Lol yeah.I think 99% of the good folks here can relate to your situation.Notice, I didn't call it a problem.I always liked the handi rifles and the contender pistols.Maybe an encore rifle.Then all you would need is different barrels to scratch that itch.Buy all the die sets and molds you love.Get the Mrs.Something she likes to shoot and alls well.

Four-Sixty
08-01-2014, 07:45 AM
I to can load about 8 or 9 calibers, but only shoot about 4...

doc1876
08-01-2014, 08:41 AM
as I see it, there are nothing but enablers here. If you are looking for an intervention, you need to go somewhere else, sympathy we got, help we will give, as to curing a bad/good habit........well, nope, you are done for.

prsman23
08-01-2014, 09:25 AM
Go big or go home.
Any flavor Shiloh will do.
I double dog dare you.

buckwheatpaul
08-01-2014, 07:30 PM
Dutch...In Swapping and Selling there is a 45-70 that is a Browning 1886 that might fit your bill.....sorry Patty....but like the other brother said....there is no therapy here ... but there is a bunch of us that stay in the doghouse all the time.....

MBTcustom
08-01-2014, 07:40 PM
Dutch, I see your plan as a good one, and I have done this exact same thing in this exact same caliber (except I bought the dies and brass from S&S).
The stuff set on the shelf for a few months, and it wasn't long till an 1895 Marlin Guide Gun followed it's nose to my door.
I highly recommend a levergun.
I highly recommend the use of 2400 powder.
I highly recommend the use of a 400 grain boolit.
Starline brass.

Load a bunch of it, and gather lead like crazy, because there is no way you will convince yourself that you are not shooting a really giant 22LR!
I love my 45-70. It is just about the funnest gun I own (right next to the M1A). If you buy one, everybody will want to shoot it, everybody will want to buy one for themselves, and everyone will want to learn how to cast lead.
At least that's been my experience.
However, as far as lead goes, it will put you in the poorhouse. I loaned my gun to my BIL in order to preserve the lead stash, because quite frankly, it was drinking it.
One thing is for sure though. If you have a bunch of alloy that you have no idea what is, feed it to the 45-70. That sucker will eat anything.

cbrick
08-01-2014, 07:41 PM
I read this post this morning, thought about it all day and just can't see where there might be a problem or even something unusual. I guess someone will have to explain it to me. :coffeecom

Rick

00buck
08-01-2014, 07:51 PM
Marlin 1895 Cowboy is nice :)

Maybe a 1894 Cowboy in .45 LC ? She would like that one :D

JWT
08-01-2014, 08:27 PM
I've had dies and brass for a30-40 krag and a pair of 45-70 trapdoors for over 20 years. I haven't fired the guns because of their collector value. After reading here for a while I think I will begin using the trapdoors.

Since coming to this forum I have been grabbing up any top punches and sizer dies I find that are cheap. I am up to 6 molds, 13 sizers, ad 15 top punches and I haven't cast the first boolit yet.

I've even caught myself checking out the wheel weights on my own truck tires...

It's not and addiction. I could stop if I wanted to. I think...

schutzen
08-01-2014, 10:15 PM
I have several .45-70's, but the one I like best is a Baikal SP 221. It is a SXS Double barrel and is a sweet shooter. Light, easy to point, and surprisingly very little recoil. It makes a great deer or hog gun in close cover. Plus, I have wanted a double rifle for years and never could afford a high quality H&H or Purdy. This Baikal is not near the quality of an H&H , but I am not afraid to take it to the bottoms hunting.

smoked turkey
08-01-2014, 10:52 PM
Someone would have to go and mention Shiloh in this thread. That Quigley Down Under with Tom Selleck was the beginning of a Shiloh itch that is gonna have to be scratched someday! Yes we are a sorry bunch of enablers here. All I can say is bring it on!

country gent
08-01-2014, 11:04 PM
The shiloh itch is tough. Once you get your shiloh sharps in the model you want then it grows to a C Sharps in a high wall or Hepburn model. And wait theres CPA with thier lovelt rifles just waiting to be ordered with all the accurments and fancy walnut. Oh dont forget the original stevens ballards sharps rollers high walls and such. Its an addiction thats imposible to cure

TXGunNut
08-01-2014, 11:11 PM
Just got a set of those dies in myself. Only difference is I have a 45-70....around here somewhere. ;-) Have a set of Hornady dies for it too but with a partial re-sizer and an M-type expander I was only using the seater die and didn't much care for it. I know Hornady makes good stuff, I just can't make these dies work for me. The other sets of Cowboy dies I have are are awesome...and I don't own a single WahMaker shirt. Mebbe a wild rag or two, but they come in handy this time of year at the range.

My name is Mike, and I'm a gun-aholic.

BruceB
08-01-2014, 11:21 PM
Must confess to a certain smugness here.

I had my Shiloh rifle (Farmingdale NY manufacture) BEFORE the wonderful Quigley movie. (Come to think of it, I also owned a M29 S&W .44 BEFORE ol' Clinch Eastwood made it famous.... doubly smug!)

Just after Shiloh started making the Sharps' rifles, I visited a store in Edmonton Alberta which had ALL the various models IN STOCK. What a sight that was; probably at least twenty-five fine Sharps' rifles in new condition, all lined up and available for purchase. That Christmas I was given the Shiloh I still own, with the serial number 34XX.

I added about $500 in iron sights, and it is one of my best-loved rifles.

Oh yeah.... it's a .45-70, and I have about SIX moulds that cast workable bullets for it.

In fact, look at my avatar.... that's the Shiloh right there.

shdwlkr
08-01-2014, 11:52 PM
Wallenba
you know your a gun-aholic when you have 70 and have another 12 on layaway and you just picked one up today. when you get to my level it is terminal and there is no cure you just have to learn to live with it, pace yourself and wallet and hope for the best. ha ha

shooterg
08-02-2014, 12:02 AM
OK, what's the 12 step program for this ?

shooterbob
08-02-2014, 01:14 AM
I know where there's a beautiful Browning 1886 with exhibition grade wood for a grand in Tx. Full octagon barrel. I've been giving it the evil eye trying to keep it from talking to me. Lol

aspangler
08-02-2014, 01:25 AM
Hi. My name is Albert and I am a gun-a-holic. I too confess to a 45-70. I custom built it on a Mosin Nagant action with a Green Mountain barrel. It loves a 405 gr. Lee, 25 grs. 2400 and whatever brass is at hand. It LOVES lead. It will shoot 1 inch groups all day at 100 yards. It is only one of many guns I have that my shooter daughter will get one day. Oh the joy of bringing home another gun!

doc1876
08-02-2014, 09:25 AM
I know where there's a beautiful Browning 1886 with exhibition grade wood for a grand in Tx. Full octagon barrel. I've been giving it the evil eye trying to keep it from talking to me. Lol

OMG octagon barrels always go home with me. I can resist a round to some degree, but octagons...not so much. Got my first 1861 in 1972, Sharps in 1976. Haven't looked back. since the divorce, I think I am "looking for love" in guns. they have been so much better to me than she was.

Gotta go, there is a gun shop I haven't seen before!

shdwlkr
08-02-2014, 09:55 AM
12 step program
1.first make sure you like firearms
2. understand the difference in calibers
3. understand the difference in a lever action, single shot, bolt action firearm
4. find a good GS to do business with
5. find friends that like firearms
6. have a safe place to shoot
7. buy the biggest gun safe you can afford, you will need it as time goes by
8. be sure the wife isn't anti firearms
9. teach the kids to respect firearms and their proper use
10. know where to find ammo, brass, primers, bullets, powder, reloading equipment
11. have a safe reloading room
12. make sure you have enough money to support this hobbie
13. never and I mean never pickup a 45-70 it leads to way to much trouble

I started with one lever in 30-30 had it a few years got rid of it, found another and that dang thing now has 7-9 bonk mates and seems to never end. Yes I have a model 86 lever and another that is a take down waiting to come home and even got a friend infected as he bought the one I turned down when I was offered the take down. Almost had to fight another individual off when the dealer was writing it up for me. Dang dealer and his son now keep special offers aside for me. Just this last week laid away a Remington 722 in 222 with 26 inch barrel and lots of engraving on it, then had to get a good scope to put on it. See it just never ends when you are terminal with gun-aholic disease.

wallenba
08-02-2014, 10:38 AM
Well... I made a lot of phone calls to local shops yesterday. None of the pushers had my drug of choice. Called Mr. 'Big' (Cabela's). He's got a selection of H&R's and Marlin 1895's. I favor the 1895 Cowboy. Also called Match grade Machine. My old Contender frame probably can't take the breech face thrust of heavy loads, though I'd be shooting cast. By the time I get it and the Williams FP sights I'd want on it, I'd have spent as much as a new Marlin. Anyway, still waiting for a call back from them.

It's a good 50 miles to Cabela's, kinda rainy today. But will be leaving as soon as I get cleaned up.

Patty wants shoes. Lots and lots of shoes. That will take ALL day.

1johnlb
08-02-2014, 10:57 AM
Hi my name is John, I'm a mil-surp addict. Can you help me? I NEED A FIX. I have spent all my money, sold the rest of my belongings and my wife won't help. PPLLEEAASSSSE!!!!! ANY SURP WILL DOOOO!

lbaize3
08-02-2014, 01:46 PM
Howdy to all the gun-aholics and addicts. There is only one cure for your affliction. I am a certified counselor for this type of illness and you will need to follow my three step program to be cured.

One: Come to my house bringing your affliction and its' evil indicators (firearms....especially 45-70's and any and all reloading/casting equipment).

Two: Drink coffee or soda and BS about how bad your affliction is.

Three: Leave after feeling better. Be sure to leave all evil indicators of your affliction at my house. Go home cured!

Sincerely,
Leonard:kidding:

smokeywolf
08-02-2014, 02:10 PM
wallenba, goodsteel has the prescription for your affliction. Just be forewarned, his remedy is only a temporary treatment for the symptoms. This is a lifelong illness for which there is no cure.

Wish I hadn't read this thread. I already have the lever gun(s); had to go look at the Shiloh Sharps webstore.

Hi, my name is Shot (old nickname) and I'm a gun-oholic.

smokeywolf

wallenba
08-02-2014, 04:31 PM
Well... I'm on the real hard stuff now. Got to Cabela's about 2PM. Never go on a Saturday guys if you can go during the week. Took a number, 71, they were serving 59, so I had a bit of a wait. Finally guy at the counter gets to me, and shows me the 1895 Marlins in 45-70. Settled on 1895GBL model. While he was in the back getting the box, my eye caught sight of a lonely Ruger #1 sitting in the back row. I asked to see it. It was a 45-70!!!. Double the price almost, but the bug is strong, the money is there, so I took it. Guy had to go back in the back again for that box.

I never saw so many people buying guns at one time in my life... anywhere. First time there for me, place was huge. Was a lot like an amusement park.

I've been gun buying sober now for 0 days. Working on that 6 month chip I guess. Again.

Tomorrow I'll go out for some Hornady ammo, need them for brass, no virgin brass anywhere. Then a mold, sizing die, gas checks maybe too. Box to store the reloads in, Wilson case holder yadda yadda.