PDA

View Full Version : Ballistic gelatin tests of non expanding FN bullets?

BAGTIC
07-31-2014, 09:55 PM
Has anyone encountered any links to test of non-expanding FN bullets, hard lead or otherwise, that offer wound tracks in ballistic gelatin that could be used for comparison with non-expanding RN designs? I believe in FN designs but I have some friends who are unwilling to accept anecdotal testimony. They want to see an objective comparison. like with like. I would appreciate any help.

olafhardt
08-01-2014, 03:56 AM
I don't recall ever seeing this addressed in research data. "Everybody" knows it must be true. There are numerous known to be true things that are commonly accepted but are questionable. Here are some of mine:
Long barreled guns recoil less than short barreled ones.
Because the brain is such a small target don't shoot deer in the head however the same publication may insist that squirrels only be shot in the head.
Expanding bullets should be used on medium game and solids on big dangerous game.
Cast boolits are unsuitable for loads above whatever velocity.
I can think of these things faster than I can type them. Heck, I know that revolvers are better and the 357 magnum exceeds all handgun cartridges beginning in 4. I also know that real men shoot lever action rifles and that a scope on a lever action is like a saddle on a hog. Is not the meat of animals killed with condom wrapped bullets tainted with copper and hardly edible?
I only shoot sitting ducks if they light.
This post may not make a lot of sense but yours looked lonely.

Screwbolts
08-01-2014, 07:53 AM
Have you done a search of this great site? For the info you seek?

You might consider looking in the very first section of this forum "Classics and stickies" ( top of page, first section when you open this forum up) for a thread titled " Gates extreme Meplat " or at least something very similar, I thinks I have left a word out, bummer.

I thinks you may find lots of tests of WFN boolitz linked or posted in said thread, or use info in thread for jump off goggle searches.

The answer to you OP is, Yes

Ken

quilbilly
08-01-2014, 07:53 PM
When I do my terminal ballistics test on various cast boolits I use soaked phone books. After shooting, I take apart the stack about an inch at a time to see what each boolit is doing as it penetrates.
They key to the process is to bind up 20-24 inches of phone books in a stack with string before the soaking. The soaking will really make the stack compact. Without taking the string off take your shots. A stack of phone books will last about five shots before the "wound channels" start to interfere with each other. It is an interesting process to see how boolits react on the stack and there are always surprises. I usually wait for a long rainstorm before putting the stacks out since it is hard to soak the stack manually. A couple days of steady rain will do it.