PDA

View Full Version : Looking for an 8x57 cast blt, for short throated Husky rifle

1Shirt
07-31-2014, 04:25 PM
Have a short throated Husky rifle that I would like to find a boolit for that does not extend below the neck and into the body of the ctg. Have Ranch Dog, and Lee molds, and they both shoot only ok with the loads that I have tried so far, but only ok. With receiver sights, best I have been able to do is about 3 1/2MOA, and am confident that the rifle is capable of better. Would like to find a blt with a nose that is bore riding, and not into the powder chamber, and is at least 200 grain. Any advice based on experience would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance for your response(s) to this thread.
1Shirt!:cbpour:

Larry Gibson
07-31-2014, 04:53 PM
Have you checked out the NOE 326331?

Larry Gibson

Silverboolit
07-31-2014, 06:22 PM
Had great luck with Tom at Accurate Molds making me a borerider for my .308. Give him an e-mail or call and he will help you out.

runfiverun
08-01-2014, 12:35 AM
look at some of the older gas check designs meant for the 32 Winchester.
ideal made a very good boolit that works very nicely in the modern 8x57 rifles.
I should have some kicking about here [for my rem-700] have brad [or yourself] p.m. me if you want to try some.

dbh1956
08-04-2014, 11:08 AM
I've got a 1950's vintage 8x57 Husky on a m98 action that I want to cast for. I should really do a chamber mold before I buy any molds. What model and age is your rifle?

Bullshop
08-04-2014, 11:27 AM
Do you need a gas check design or will a plain base do?
We have several 32/8mm designs available. The one I am thinking about is from NEI. This design starts out as a 200gn FNGC.
We had Walt make us three molds from the same cherry each cut progressively shorter by reducing the length from the base. This was done by simply backing out the cherry by one drive band for each mold. This gave us three versions of the same boolit the first being the 200gn FNGC the second lighter and PB and the third lighter still and PB.
I have not used these in an 8x57 but am thinking that one of the two lighter versions in PB seated to the crimp groove may fit your throat and still not have the boolit base extend past the case neck.