PDA

View Full Version : Reinforcing coleman stove grate

mjwcaster
07-31-2014, 02:27 PM
So I managed my first (and second) smelting session today.

I knew that the grate on the coleman stove was a weak point and it is now warped.
No movement on the first smelt, but I loaded up the pot for the second one and that did the trick. Completely warped, so I stopped smelting until I get things fixed.

So what do other people do to reinforce the grate so I don't end up with a pot of lead falling over?

Thanks,

Matt

mjwcaster
07-31-2014, 03:18 PM
So I'm doing a more little searching and I've found this-
http://s292.photobucket.com/user/elkins_pix/media/DSC_4474.jpg.html

Just a bar under the corner of the grate.

My issue is that the grate started to bend up like a bananna. The last metal rod didn't have the pot on it and I noticed while smelting that it was bending up, after the smelt the last 3 rods were bending up.

Found someone else who just says he flips the grate over every once in a while.
One other who mentioned putting something from the base under the grate.
And one other person who used a grate from an in floor LP/Gas furnace.

Will keep looking for ideas, really want to melt some more lead and try casting, just don't want the grate to give way (and need a better pot).
Matt

NavyVet1959
07-31-2014, 03:28 PM
Instead of trying to make the Coleman grate hold a weight that it wasn't designed to hold, perhaps you might want to consider creating a secondary grate that sits over the Coleman stove, but does not touch it. The secondary grate would be supported by something significantly more sturdy. For example, I've used 1/2 steel bars across cinder blocks and then slid my gas burner underneath that. You might have to play a bit with the height of the cinder blocks or even put some small blocks under the burner to get it to the optimal heating height.

We're talking about a large quantity of molten lead -- over-engineering what is supporting it is a GOOD THING.

dikman
07-31-2014, 07:14 PM
over-engineering what is supporting it is a GOOD THING.

Most definitely! Reo bars resting across blocks/bricks should work, and is about as cheap as you can get.

JonB_in_Glencoe
07-31-2014, 07:57 PM
I just keep bending the grate back.
My SS soup pot is big enough, I usually let it get support by the side of the frame.
But sometimes it gets moved and bends the grate...No biggy, it's about due to be replaced, they only last so long. I've smelted about 2000 lbs with this first one...The burner started acting funny when I tried using it to melt some boolit lube last week, so I pulled another stove out from my garage sale stash...I'll save this old one for parts.

mold maker
07-31-2014, 08:11 PM
Coleman still has parts for all the common models. The generator is usually the cause of low output. If not totally clogged It can be fixed by pulling the wire out and cleaning it. Just be careful not to bend or break the fine wire needle at the end. I found some 1/4" SS rods to reinforce the grate, and the stove I bought in the "60s still works like new.

JonB_in_Glencoe
07-31-2014, 08:59 PM
I buy 'em garage sales all day long for $3 to $5. I think I have 6 of in my shed. I've borrowed out a couple.

It doesn't pay to disassemble the generator after I put it through so much abuse, it is corroded and probably Heat warped, I bet those threads are locked up good, I don't think it'll disassemble without getting busted. I do know that tank ain't rusty...some I've bought have rusty tanks.

Baron von Trollwhack
07-31-2014, 09:12 PM
With respect to the initial question...................put less lead in the pot.

BvT

mjwcaster
07-31-2014, 09:57 PM
With respect to the initial question...................put less lead in the pot.

BvT

What fun is that?

Already did, I have a couple of 4 quart cast iron dutch ovens, way too big.
So I was using a pot a little larger than 1 quart (don't think it is quite 2, maybe it is).

If I go much smaller I wouldn't be able to smelt much, and I don't think I'd be able to ladle much out either.

I would like something taller, it would allow me to have more depth for ladling without a lot of added weight.

My total take for 2 smelts was 35lb's of ingots, and probably 5 lbs each of jackets and lead heavy dross (and lead from when I skimmed the jackets).
So less than 50lbs of range scrap total for 2 smelts, second smelt a little heavier than the first.

Hmm, I guess I had about 25-30lbs of scrap in the second smelt, more than I had thought.
It sure adds up quick.

Matt

OuchHot!
08-01-2014, 07:43 PM
A friend has an old fireplace log grate. he cut it down so that when it is flipped upside down it barely straddles his stove. You could stand on it.

mjwcaster
08-06-2014, 12:48 PM
Just a quick update-
I decided to try my 4 quart dutch oven, it fits from side to side on the stove (just barely), so it gets more support then from just the grate.
The smaller pot was all on the grate.
I also used a couple of soup cans (modified to fit) that add some support to the grate.
It held up fine to another smelt this way, no bending of the grate (ran out of gas and only got one smelt out of it).
I did only run 20lbs or so of scrap, the pot was no where near full.
While it took longer for the first melt, the second started much faster (until I ran out of gas).

I also scored a handful of used pots and pans for $10, old school enameled steel that I will use for ladle casting, need to make sure the grate will hold them.

The issue I have now is that the gas tank is getting too hot for my liking, will use some kind of heat shield (aluminum foil) for the next smelt.

I only have another 100-150 lbs of scrap to do, then I don't see much more smelting in my future, unless I find some good sources. Haven't head lead WW's in this state for several years now.

Thanks for the ideas, I will be on the lookout for things I can use to upgrade the grate.

Matt

NavyVet1959
08-06-2014, 03:39 PM
The issue I have now is that the gas tank is getting too hot for my liking, will use some kind of heat shield (aluminum foil) for the next smelt.

The problem might be that since you put a pot with a larger bottom on it, the heat that was previously going up the sides of the pot now has to go further outwards before it goes up the side of the pot, thus parts of your burner that are further away from the flame are now getting heated.

dikman
08-06-2014, 06:58 PM
Sometimes those enamelled steel utensils can start cracking/flaking the enamel under high heat.