PDA

View Full Version : Could you make a costly mistake ? ?

Ben
07-31-2014, 12:07 PM
Powder today is very expensive, ( even if you can find what you're looking for, and in a lot of cases even that isn't possible ), one thing is for certain we don't want to waste any of what we have.

Have you ever poured powder into a container, only to find out that you poured the wrong powder into the container ?

Embarrassing , costly, frustrating, and down right dangerous.

On more than once occasion, I've picked up an 8 lb. caddy of Alliant powder only to realize I'd picked up the wrong container.

From the front of the container it is easy enough to identify the proper container.

http://i1155.photobucket.com/albums/p545/Ben35049/001_zps063409de.jpg (http://s1155.photobucket.com/user/Ben35049/media/001_zps063409de.jpg.html)

When viewed from above , all of them look identical, as there is absolutely no identification label visible when viewed from above.

I decided to change that ! Can't be too safe, now can we ? I've now made this change with each of my 8 lb. caddies.

http://i1155.photobucket.com/albums/p545/Ben35049/003_zps66e361c0.jpg (http://s1155.photobucket.com/user/Ben35049/media/003_zps66e361c0.jpg.html)

You may want to give some thought to this. Easy way to save money, and possibly EVEN MORE !

s mac
07-31-2014, 12:10 PM
Sounds like a good plan Ben.

EMC45
07-31-2014, 12:11 PM
I write the name on all my caps as well. That way I don't have to dig through my stack. I just look at the tops and know what to grab. BTW that trio looks really good!

Ben
07-31-2014, 12:16 PM
That " Trio " is now like an honest politician, very scarce at the moment.

Sgtonory
07-31-2014, 12:19 PM
There is like $900 worth of powder sitting there. I did the same thing have Promo and 300MP easy to make a mistake.

dudel
07-31-2014, 12:30 PM
Sounds like a plan. I only keep the active powder on the bench (all others are put up). If I have any 8# kegs, they go into 1# bottles with the same label. The 8# kegs are never out, except to add to a 1# bottle (never pour back into an 8# keg). The 1# bottles are easier to handle and less likely to spill when filling the powder measures.

At least it's worked out for me. Of course, having extra identification on the bottle can't hurt.

badbob454
07-31-2014, 12:37 PM
only '' caps '' can be switched, i would write it on top of the jug

NavyVet1959
07-31-2014, 12:40 PM
The problem with writing it on the lid is that the lids can be removed. Probably better to put it on the actual bottle instead. Either that or create a lanyard that attaches the lid to the container so that swapping lids would mean two containers were then tied together. :)

Personally, I don't bother with it. I just keep all of my powder on a shelf on the other side of the room and only have one type of powder on my reloading bench.

dragonrider
07-31-2014, 12:44 PM
Excellent idea Ben, you can't be too carefull.

Ed_Shot
07-31-2014, 12:44 PM
Sounds like a plan. I only keep the active powder on the bench (all others are put up). If I have any 8# kegs, they go into 1# bottles with the same label. The 8# kegs are never out, except to add to a 1# bottle (never pour back into an 8# keg). The 1# bottles are easier to handle and less likely to spill when filling the powder measures.

At least it's worked out for me. Of course, having extra identification on the bottle can't hurt.

Exactly what I do. Only one bottle on the bench when loading and it's immediately locked back up when I'm finished.

NavyVet1959
07-31-2014, 12:45 PM
There is like $900 worth of powder sitting there.

Maybe in your neck of the woods. I figure it at more like $335 plus HAZMAT and shipping.

CHeatermk3
07-31-2014, 12:53 PM
+1 What dudel wrote in post #6--that's how I handle powder too.

DR Owl Creek
07-31-2014, 12:53 PM
I print out a label on my printer listing the type of powder and tape that on the jug to make it easier to identify the jugs while they're on the shelf. I always double (or triple) check the container before putting anything back in.

Dave

Hardcast416taylor
07-31-2014, 01:08 PM
Now you better understand the old axiom of only having 1 powder on your loading bench at any single time.Robert

DeanWinchester
07-31-2014, 01:16 PM
Every powder I've ever tried, I've started with a 1 pounder. Reason obvious, so I can see if I like it. THEN I will go back and buy a large jug. From then on out I ONLY work from the 1 pound canister. Refilling the 1 pounder as necessary.
Now a fella can ruin ONE pound of powder and one or two cuss words will suffice. Ruining an 8lb jug that can cost nigh $200 nowadays.....Thats enough swearing to embarrass the US Navy.

DeanWinchester
07-31-2014, 01:18 PM
Now you better understand the old axiom of only having 1 powder on your loading bench at any single time.Robert

That is one piece of advice only a fool would ignore.

Jayhawkhuntclub
07-31-2014, 01:19 PM
The only bottle that is on the bench is the one I'm using at that moment. I pretty much agree with Dudel. I think never pouring back into an 8 lber is a good policy.

gwpercle
07-31-2014, 01:51 PM
Most excellent tip, front, back and cap....gonna do it! No such thing as TOO careful.
Gary

fecmech
07-31-2014, 02:02 PM
I have been doing this for years after mixing some 700x and Red Dot(only on the reloader not the keg).

Fishman
07-31-2014, 02:25 PM
One step better is using the metallic silver sharpie pens to write directly on the black plastic. Labels can come off.

mdi
07-31-2014, 02:57 PM
I use my handy-dandy Brother label maker to ID all my containers. I have my one pounders in a bottom drawer so I'm lookin' at the tops. Only one container comes out of the drawer at a time, so I don't have any problems mixing caps...

RED333
07-31-2014, 03:58 PM
Good OP, Thanks for the ideas.

Bullwolf
07-31-2014, 08:18 PM
I do the same with my powder containers, except I use a label maker to mark my containers. I find the labels easier to read than my hand written scrawl. Can add other things too like time purchased, and date opened, favorite use, etc.

I learned to be more careful about keeping only 1 powder on the bench at a time, after a potential powder mix up while I was changing bushings on my MEC shotgun loader. I caught myself after pouring a few 12 gauge shells full of Red Dot, on top of Unique in the clear dispenser bottle by mistake. The experience really shook me up. I only threw out a small amount of powder, but it still bothered me.

Guess this is the sort of thing that happens as you get older. I never worried about things like this when I was young man. I take steps to make it more difficult to make these kinds of mistakes now.

- Bullwolf

Garyshome
07-31-2014, 10:16 PM
I try not to have more then 1 powder in the work area at one time.

wallenba
07-31-2014, 10:35 PM
I mark mine on top with a silver Sharpie. Also indicate the bottle that is 'open' if more than one of a type. Also, I always keep the bottle in use, on the bench, NO others.

Ben
07-31-2014, 10:36 PM
Makes you wonder why the powder company can't afford a few pennies more in production cost and put an ID lable on the top of the container also ?

Pb2au
07-31-2014, 10:40 PM
Good idea Ben, thanks for passing it along sir.
This falls under the catagory of an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Ben
07-31-2014, 10:42 PM
Yes, WELL worth a pound of cure.

Ben

Ben
07-31-2014, 10:43 PM
I mark mine on top with a silver Sharpie. Also indicate the bottle that is 'open' if more than one of a type. Also, I always keep the bottle in use, on the bench, NO others.

I like that idea, I'll be doing the same to mine.

Thanks,
Ben

Catshooter
08-01-2014, 04:13 AM
I use the silver Sharpie too.

I also use hang tags. I stuff one end of the string under the powder measure cap so the tag dangles outside the measure.

I will often have a press set up for rifle and another for pistol and be using both during the week. Thus I will usually have two different powders on the bench at the same time. So I take real care not to mix and never have. Not even come close really.

What I have done is spill. I'm fairly good at knocking things over. I once knocked over a 2400 container. Probably close to two pounds of powder on the floor. :(

Since then any time the top is off a powder can I'm really, really careful with it.

You know Ben, I bet the pic in your first post made some of our members cry. :)

Cat

Ben
08-01-2014, 07:50 AM
Bringing tears wasn't my plan, saving someone their hard earned money or eye sight or even their life....Yes, that was my plan.

Good shooting Cat,

Ben

Four-Sixty
08-01-2014, 07:53 AM
Personally, I don't bother with it. I just keep all of my powder on a shelf on the other side of the room and only have one type of powder on my reloading bench.

Ditto!

southpaw
08-01-2014, 08:30 PM
Yes, WELL worth a pound of cure.

Ben
In this case eight pounds!

Jerry Jr.

MtGun44
08-01-2014, 10:16 PM
Ben,

Good point.

I keep a yellow grease pencil on the bench, write the powder name on
the lid and top of jug. I also write the powder measure setting, powder type
and date on all powder measures when I set them up. Rubs off if you
want to, but not by accident.

Bill

Bzcraig
08-01-2014, 11:43 PM
Anything we can do to aid in safety and convenience is good

Jeff H
08-02-2014, 06:33 PM
Ben, I have a "system" to prevent such a disaster, but I may incorporate part of your idea along with mine. I like the idea and you just can't be "too safe" with powder, either from a literal safety standpoint or from the cost perspective. The lids on my containers are small but there is a shoulder on which I can write. I keep my powder in NEW one-quart oil bottles.

I only keep ONE POWDER on the bench at any one time and no more than a pound, period. That may not work for everyone.

That one powder's container sits on the bench while I am working with it so I know what I have in the hopper and where what's left in the hopper when I'm done goes.

I buy 8# jugs, but I also transfer it into smaller containers for actual use. I may not split the whole jug up or I may, it depends, but I use out of a container of no more than one pound at any given time. Sometimes, I split an order with someone and I have to divy up the powder anyway, so I keep containers for that purpose. At that time, it is even more important to keep only one type out so as not to mix any in big batches. In any event, the most powder I stand a chance at screwing up would be one pound, which would make me cry but messing up EIGHT pounds would likely make me consider filing for bankruptcy.

Some may disapprove of transferring powder to other containers, but I do NOT reuse powder containers and I DO mark the new containers with all the information I can get on the bottle with a Sharpie; Manufacturer, Brand, Lot Number, Date of Purchase/Price, etc.

These are the bottles I use:

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=23674&catid=805

They are made of the same stuff as the powder containers used by the powder companies and you can write all over the white ones. They are pretty inexpensive and you never have to fight to get the lat little bit out like the old, ornery steel cans and cylindrical cardboard containers. The little vertical plastic "sight-glass" on the short side is very useful as well and I store it all in a dark place so there is no concern of light degrading powder - if that's even a problem. The small opening is great for pouring into a hopper and a plastic funnel lets me get it quickly back from the hopper into the bottle. I don't care for the wide-mouth openings on what the powder comes in. It's not big enough to not have to use a funnel when returning powder to the bottle and sometimes it spills out the sides when charging the hopper. Maybe I am just uncoordinated but I don't like powder spills - even little ones.

Ben
08-02-2014, 06:39 PM
Jeff H,

I don't see any problems at all in what you're doing.
Stay safe, and good shooting to you,

Ben

rogn
08-02-2014, 08:34 PM
Ive been using the matching tag system. There is always a paper slip in the powder measure or in the dipper pot. The slip usually has the current load written on it. When the powder is returned to the container the powder info on the slip and the bottle, jug etc are matched. Every time. I keep an old bottle of "hybrid" 2520/4895 around to remind me how stupid I have the potential to be and have been in the past.

Ben
08-02-2014, 08:37 PM
We have all made foolish mistakes.

Hopefully we can help and support each other on safety issues here on the forum and keep our mistakes to a minimal, bare bones, low number.

NavyVet1959
08-02-2014, 08:42 PM
Ive been using the matching tag system. There is always a paper slip in the powder measure or in the dipper pot. The slip usually has the current load written on it. When the powder is returned to the container the powder info on the slip and the bottle, jug etc are matched. Every time. I keep an old bottle of "hybrid" 2520/4895 around to remind me how stupid I have the potential to be and have been in the past.

Personally, I would just mix that up very well and take it as a challenge to develop a new load for the new powder blend. Of course, MY luck would be that I had accidentally discovered the PERFECT powder and I could never duplicate it again. :(

10mmShooter
08-10-2014, 02:40 PM
I label with sharpie the purchase date on all my powder containers, so as to rotate my stock, first in, first out. I store powder in another area, and have to go retrieve it when needed for reloading, I only keep the one powder on the bench at time. I also use only 6 different powders and visually they are all different, so I can identify them even without being in their containers. Just another safety feature, I don't like change it helps me avoid errors.

ericc
08-10-2014, 07:08 PM
Save your empty 1lb powder containers of the same powder type and transfer powder from the 8lb kegs into the smaller 1 lb. This helps reduce the magnitude of a mistake should it occur. Never pour anything back into the 8lb kegs. Also as someone else mentioned only have the one working powder in the reloading area at a time.

Love Life
08-10-2014, 07:12 PM
Such a simple solution!! I will be storing my powders here in a chest freezer and this is going to help me immensely. Thank you!!