PDA

View Full Version : pellets?

plmitch
07-31-2014, 10:07 AM
Looking at all of the different pellet designs, weights ect, is there one that's better for hunting -hollow points, pointed? How about paper punching?

HARRYMPOPE
07-31-2014, 10:31 AM
I like domes best.Crosman domes HP's shoot well also.Wadcutters do great to about 15 yards and at 10 meters are very accurate.but pointed ones havert always shot for me.
I have settles on JSB and Crosman domes for everyhing now.

GARD72977
07-31-2014, 01:50 PM
I have to second the domes. I have been shooting the cheap dome hollowpoint Benjamin's. Don't think much of the hollow point but really like the 750 tin for 9.99 at wally world. I still shoot a few wad cutters but im not a real paper puncher.

nagantguy
07-31-2014, 04:30 PM
Domes have always worked best; except in my .20mm blue streak their kind of semi pointed mostly domed. But domes have always in most cases shot well out of most of my air poppers. But as of late I've had great accuracy out of the air hawk with Grossman destroyer EX. Its tiny hollow and little point kind of remind me of a federal hydra shok. Took a red squirrel last night 21 yards in the eye. Stealing my green beans he was. So point is domes are always best except when they are not.

W.R.Buchanan
07-31-2014, 07:23 PM
I shoot mainly H&N match style pellets at paper at 10 meters. They are Flat Nosed Diabolo style pellets . Both .177's and .22's.

They punch a perfect round hole that looks like a paper punch had done it.

I have settled on the H&N Barakuda's at 22 gr. for hunting anything beyond 10 yards with the R1. I also have some Beeman Silver Jets that work pretty good as well but they are left overs and as soon as they are gone I probably won't buy anymore.

I have been using the R1 for Long Range Silhouette Practice, with the H&N match style pellets.

These pellets are a little more expensive than the stuff from Walmart but not that much more. At $9 for 200 they are still reasonable and they deliver performance well in excess of anything Crossman has ever offered.

H&N recently came out with a pellet that as far as I can tell is identical to their Match pellet except in price. They are $13 for 500. I bought 4 tins of these and they will probably last me for the rest of my life.

I became aware of good quality Airguns in 1975 when we found out about Beemans. I still have my first catalog! We bought a few tins of H&N match pellets to shoot thru a little Diana 17 ( I believe) the difference in accuracy over Crossman pellets of the day was night and day. The Crossman Pellets literally looked like they had been smashed with a hammer into a mould and then dropped out. There was no two that were alike.

The German pellets all looked identical, and shot great. We were sold. I soon after bought a Weihrauch HW35 and started really consuming some pellets. After buying a bunch of different brands to test (most of which I still have) I settled on H&N Match Pellets for that gun. There was just not that much difference in price to quibble over.

Now there are a zillion different types of pellets to choose from. I am certain there are many that are really good.

I don't consider price to be a valid consideration when purchasing pellets. It's more about how well they shoot.

None of them are all that expensive.

Randy

wordsmith
07-31-2014, 07:46 PM
I have a .25 Marauder, and after a lot of testing, have settled on JSB Match Diablo (domes), H&N Baracuda Hunter Extremes, and Predator Polymags (for limited penetration situations). Accuracy is outstanding with all three. The JSB's are the workhorse and are used for all plinking, target shooting, and a good bit of hunting, and the others are for hunting exclusively.

HARRYMPOPE
08-02-2014, 12:11 PM
I wouldn't be so quick to discount all Crossmen pellets. There better quality premier domes have shot as well as European pellets in a few of my guns.the 22 caliber premier domes and the 17 caliber "lights" are two in particular that are very good.Some of the other cheapo tins you get at Walmart are pretty crappy.

I will disagree I believe pellets are overpriced for what you're getting.but these days they're cheaper than overpriced rimfire ammo.

plmitch
08-02-2014, 12:21 PM
So far the crosman hollow points seem to be doing very well for me.

rsterne
08-02-2014, 12:58 PM
For any longer range work, you will likely find that a true round-nosed pellet will have not only the best accuracy, but certainly the best velocity and energy retention.... This isn't a very long list, the JSB Exact Series (in several weights), the Crosman Premiers (including the HP), the H&N FTTs, and their Baracuda Series (Beeman are rebadged H&Ns, Baracuda = Kodiak).... The key is whatever shoots well in your gun, ie accurate.... The only Hollowpoints that qualify for longer ranges are the Baracuda Hunter and Hunter Extremes, and the JSB made Polymag Predators.... but their accuracy seems very gun specific.... Some guys have good success with them, I don't have any guns where they are even close to the JSBs....

Bob

GhostHawk
08-02-2014, 09:32 PM
Most of my guns love the Crossman premier hollow point pellets.

My B3 chinese springer likes the beeman pointed pellets and the Crossman destroyers.

My Sheridan's seem to be perfectly happy with the Benjamin cylindrical's I've been feeding them.

I'm pretty well stocked, and since I do most of my shooting indoors, most of my fired pellets get smelted and molded into something even faster. :)

plmitch
08-02-2014, 09:40 PM
I do most of my shooting indoors, most of my fired pellets get smelted and molded into something even faster. :)

Now thats a way to recycle!

Larry Gibson
08-03-2014, 12:00 AM
I have settles on JSB and Crosman domes for everything now.

That works for me also for 90+ % of my shooting/hunting out to 90 yards. The regular domed CP or the HP'd ones always shoot well in all my air rifles of .177, .20 and .22 caliber. Except for paper punching at 10 meters where match WCs excel and for hunting rabbits or similar sized game/pests out to 30 yards where the old Vortex Lampreys were awesome (still hoarding my last tin .22 caliber ones) and the Crow Magnums have taken there place. Other than those I've quit wasting time and money testing any other pellets.

Larry Gibson

W.R.Buchanan
08-03-2014, 02:08 PM
What Larry said about done with testing. After 30+ years I still have tins of pellets I "tested." Been done for along time.

The empty tins I have all had H&N Match pellets or Beeman Clones in them. I found something that worked for me and that's what I have been shooting ever since.

With my big guns I find a load/ bullet combo that works (very often the first one I try) sight it in and start shooting at competition targets,,, Silhouettes, knockdowns, poppers, steel IDPA style cardboard.

My last sight in session with an AR lasted 4 shots shooting at a Clay Pigeon at 200 yards! (it was bore sighted first) It gets the same loads as all of my .223's. No need to search,,, there is little to be gained by "Load Development" for those guns.

The point being I am accomplishing a purpose with the gun as opposed to trying to find a purpose. We all buy things we may not need, but the sooner you put them to work the easier it is to hang onto them.

Sooner or later you have to just shoot at stuff as opposed to doing endless testing.

Find something that works and shoot at something other than paper targets.

It is actually raining here in Sunny SoCal today and after breakfast I am headed to the garage to shoot at Paper Silhouette Targets with my R1 and my HW35.

The guns are already sighted in!

Randy

Mauser48
08-03-2014, 06:15 PM
I use the gamo ones with the steel bb on the tip. Works great on rabbits.

jmorris
08-07-2014, 02:18 AM
Different pellets are the "handloads" of air rifles. You just don't know until you try them all. I can save you some money and say just skip any that Gamo makes.

HARRYMPOPE
08-07-2014, 09:23 AM
Different pellets are the "handloads" of air rifles. You just don't know until you try them all. I can save you some money and say just skip any that Gamo makes.

I can second that.I just bought some 22 and 177 of various types by gamo and only one of the eight styles shot at all.All four of the 22s failed to shoot under 3" at 25 yards tried out of three rifles.the 750 tin tomahawk did pretty well but not as good as cheap Crosman pointed tins.

second chance
09-28-2014, 11:36 AM
Crosman premiers in the box from pyramyd air are hard to beat for the price. JSB's are probably as good as you can buy, at any price. Some of the other European brands are fantastic also, just harder to find consistently in the US.