PDA

View Full Version : Casting for .243

Hannibal
07-30-2014, 08:00 PM
Ok. Perhaps this is gazing into the deep end of the pool, but if any of you have been down this road, I'd like to hear your thoughts. I have a .243 that shoots most anything jacketed well and I'm thinking about trying this. Any first-hand knowledge would be greatly appreciated. Opinions? Well, there are already more of those on here than a sane man can wade thru. Thank- you for any first-hand knowledge you care to share.

SSGOldfart
07-30-2014, 09:11 PM
I'm working on the same ideal for both my encore and Rem 700 but due to some medical issues Doc said no recoil on my head so I'm working on the reduced loads for the rifle and a little bit stronger for the encore you can be I'll be watching this thread.

AlaskanGuy
07-30-2014, 09:23 PM
Well, I been down this road.... And then took a right and got back on the dirt track...lol

trouble is, 243 is a awesome cali that is a flat shooting fast mover... It loves to run balls to the wall.... I ran cast in a remmington 788 bolt gun and it was, well, ok... Nothing special at all... Hard to find data that slowed it down enough to shoot anything better then ok... I sold the molds and he gun... I decided that if I couldn't make it shoot cast, that I was gunna get rid of it... The 243, like other flat shooting fast movers, are not ideal cast guns.... Yes you can get it to shoot cast, but it wont shoot it well.... If was fun to mess with for a while, but in the end, I sold the gun, dies and molds.... I think you will find that most dont use it for cast much....

Sorry for the bad news...

AG

JonB_in_Glencoe
07-30-2014, 10:17 PM
Expanman,
If this is your first foray into casting for Rifle...Below is some info I've given to others, it should help you on this road.
========================

There is a lot to cover for casting for Rifle, I assume you've read a good manual like the Lyman castbullet handbook, if not, I'd highly suggest it, especially the chapter/s pertaining to Rifle.

Here is a thread that'll help with get the basics.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?158805-Just-a-few-tips-for-new-rifle-casters

Once you've read Tim's post above, these photo's help show the relationship of the boolit and the chamber.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?168496-Chamber-and-throat-relationship

now Lube, a simple one, easy to make, from ingredients available from the local Dollar store...see post #5 for the recipe.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?232371-Hey-357-maximum-lubes&highlight=

========================

Now, I am currently experimenting with 243win, shooting Cast boolits at J-word velocities...or near to it. I have chosen the NOE 243-75 FN mold, but if you are thinking heavier would be better for your rifle (twist rate will tell you that), there is a group buy, about to close for a 105gr FN, I now I am on the list.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?243749-A-C-E-Co-246-105-FN-GC&highlight=

One of the things to getting successful HV (high velocity) loads in Rifle (which generate higher pressures) is to have a harder cast boolit which can handle the initial Launch Pressure. This link will help you understand the relationship of alloy and pressure.
http://www.lasc.us/CastBulletNotes.htm
The best thing to do is chose a slower powder that should fill the case to at least 80%, FULL is better. A slower powder should have a lower Peak Launch pressure. For each pressure range, you need to match the alloy hardness.

This link is my recent (and first) experiment with heat treatings 243 boolits.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?248671-Heat-treat&highlight=

This Link is my most recent Lube making day was for my 243 HV experiment.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?249135-Homemade-Lube-Gearnasher-s-SL68-recipe&highlight=

OK, that's a lot of info, isn't it !
But honestly, I don't have all the answers, This is all new to me as well, I've done lots of reading on it and I'm getting really close to starting the range work.
And ...I don't have "your" answers...Your guns does...each gun is gonna want certain things, and by the way, as you read in AlaskanGuy's post, some rifles won't shoot cast.
Good luck,
Jon

MT Chambers
07-30-2014, 11:30 PM
A few years ago a guy won all the marbles at the CBA benchrest championships using a Ruger 77 in .243 Win., I don't remember his loads, but could look them up......this result was really off the charts as the 308 usually dominates Production class and the .30 Br. the unlimited class.

.22-10-45
07-31-2014, 01:26 AM
A .243 shouldn't be any harder to work up an accurate cast load than any other modern rifle using cast bullets..I have been able to equal jacketed match accuracy out of a Ruger No.1 .222Rem. with cast at 100yds. Several years ago I purchased a Winchester-Lee 1895 straight-pull sporting rifle. Using 100gr. Ideal 245495 G.C. & Lyman Super Moly lube, I was able to get rifle to shoot to the open iron sights at 50yds. using H4227 & IMR TrailBoss. groups with both powders are 3/4" This is not a high velocity hunting load..just a nice mild target load.

runfiverun
07-31-2014, 03:06 AM
there is a group buy on for a nice 243 mold right now...
look below.
anyway that mold and 15 or so grs of 2400, or 7 or so grs of unique, should qualify for some fun without inducing a flinch of any sort unless you only shoot 22 shorts from a 10 lb rifle.

Newtire
07-31-2014, 05:53 AM
Try the RCBS 95 grain over 12.5 grains 2400. One of our guys who used to be Deputy Al but changed to 9.3 X 62 Al took home a solid gold wheelweight prize at The Winnemucca shoot a few years back. I tried a few other boolits in .243 in 3-different rifles and that one always came in 1st place with that load mentioned above.

Screwbolts
07-31-2014, 07:07 AM
My Brother loads the my NOE 245-75 FN with 23 gr of WC844 in a Stevens 200 in 243, shoots great with my boolitz of an alloy of 17.4 bhn. I have used over 1400 gas checks on 24 cal boolitz to date. my sons 788 in 6mm likes the NOE with 17 to 19 gr of Re7 or 4227. With soft range scrap NOE boolitz of 9.5 bhn 17 gr of re 7 is just fun to shoot. 5 shots makes small shiny spot on plate, less than 2" is common at 150 yrd from my 6mm. sized at .2465.

My 6mm, a custom Arisaka in 6mm rem loves the NOE with almost any powder for 1950 FPS I have a old 245497 SC that I have not had any luck with, also a DC RCBS 245-100 that has also frustrated me.

I am also patiently waiting for the ACE 246-105 FN GC mold to be cut. Take a look at it , it is designed for the 243 neck. You can't go wrong with the NOE 245-75 FN to keep you shooting, mine is a 5 cavity, the loads I listed are very mild on both Muzzle blast and LOW recoil.

Ken

AlaskanGuy
07-31-2014, 12:13 PM
Lots of great advice here... I hope your journey with the 243 works well.... For me it didn't, but your mileage may vary...

For me and my setup, it loved J-words going smoking fast, but diddnt care much for slowing down with cast.... So the gun went bye bye..... All guns are different though, and I hope your proves me dead wrong....

AG

Hannibal
07-31-2014, 08:01 PM
Thank-you for the replies. I have a 1 in 9 twist barrel, so I'm going to get in on the group buy mould plus an RCBS and see what i can work up.

MT Gianni
07-31-2014, 09:16 PM
Try the RCBS 95 grain over 12.5 grains 2400. One of our guys who used to be Deputy Al but changed to 9.3 X 62 Al took home a solid gold wheelweight prize at The Winnemucca shoot a few years back. I tried a few other boolits in .243 in 3-different rifles and that one always came in 1st place with that load mentioned above.
I tell people to start at 12 gr with that boolit and powder and probably hit the sweet spot before you get to 12 gr. It is a great 22 mag replacement caliber.

Screwbolts
08-01-2014, 08:18 AM
Expanman, and others that might be interested, This is the Group Buy Discussion thread that led to the Group buy, ACE, 246-105 FN GC boolit .

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?229129-6mm-86-gr-boolit

Ken

SSGOldfart
08-07-2014, 08:11 PM
I tell people to start at 12 gr with that boolit and powder and probably hit the sweet spot before you get to 12 gr. It is a great 22 mag replacement caliber.
Just what I'm looking for I just got a good deal on this mold

SSGOldfart
08-07-2014, 08:15 PM

Just what I'm looking for I just got a good deal on this mold just today hummm guess I'm still looking for the NOE245-75-FN