PDA

View Full Version : Forgotten find

tmc-okc
07-30-2014, 07:24 PM
FORGOTTEN FIND
I have been wanting to get into casting for over 30 yearsbut didn't have the money or time. During this time I had access to some goodsupplies of lead but didn't stock up as I should have and now that access doesnot exist..This year I decided it was time. I have rounded up most of theequipment I need and some I just plain wanted and I am almost ready to startsmelting what lead I have collected. My son, grandson & now my son-in-laware pestering me to "get er done" So I could make them some boolits.
So I invited them over for my first session. When theyarrived I told them the very first thing we needed to do was clean all THEIR stuff out of MY shed so I could have some room to move some of THEIR other stuff out of my garage so I could have room at the mouth of the garage door to smelt.
After all the moans & groans they pitched in and 4 hours later it was done. And the really good part was I found 8 5Lb pigs of plumbers 50/50 wiping solder. Stuff I had put away years ago & forgot all about..GOOD FIND ! And next weekend we really will smelt it all.

Ron

zuke
07-30-2014, 07:45 PM
Wonder what other goodie's you'll find!

tazman
07-30-2014, 08:15 PM
That 50/50 solder is like gold. It works wonders with coww to help fill out boolits. You only need a little added to a pot to make it work.

Garyshome
07-30-2014, 09:48 PM
Great find!

MtGun44
07-31-2014, 12:31 AM
wow, 50-50 is really valuable. I think the tin alone - which you have 20 lbs of there, is about $6 or so a lb these days
for new.

Bill

bedbugbilly
07-31-2014, 08:11 AM
Congrats on your "forgotten find"! Sounds like you are all set to go.

I had to chuckle when I read how you got your kids, etc. to get their tuff cleaned out. We were brought up on a farm. I had a brother who seemed to think the barns were his "personal storage locker" - he's kind of a "hoarder" and throws nothing away. My Dad worked for years to get him to get his stuff out of the barns - he'd threaten to hire someone to haul it away, etc. Nothing he did worked and of course he didn't follow through as after all, it was "his son". The only thing that got him to do it was the deaths of my parents. I was the Administrator and shortly after my folks passed, I held a "family meeting" at which I gave him six months (until the time of an auction I had scheduled in to dispose of unwanted personal pro;arty). If it wasn't gone and the barns cleaned out by that time - I was going to hire someone to come in and clean it out and it would be charged to his share of the estate. He kicked, whined and pouted but it got done! Guess he was afraid I'd do it!?

Good luck with the casting - it will go fine and you'll find out just how much fun it is and how relaxing it can be!

hickfu
08-01-2014, 09:05 PM
Hey, I may try that with my son... I can buy a 308 boolit mold for his 300 Savage and tell him to come over and we can cast some up, then when he gets here tell him to move his stuff out so we have room to do it. Yeah, I like that idea...

08-21-2014, 11:28 PM
I have been hoarding brass, lead reloading things for38 years have started two inventory and get rid of things that I have drug home and stashed in buildings over the years 300 plus sets of dies many pcs of casting things close as I can figure about 8 1/2 tons of wheel weights 3000 lbs of foundry type also found 65 lino type pigs about 46 lbs each whats even stranger I was still out collecting wheel weights I have about 4 tons of brass range pick ups some people would say I have a problem but I don't do drugs or drink so its probably a good trade off

leadman
08-22-2014, 10:50 AM
MtGunn44, you should add about $10 to $12 to your tin estimate. Unless you have some that you will sell me for that.LOL

dolang1
08-22-2014, 05:05 PM
Finding stuff like that is just like Christmas. I found a gallon of 45cap brass that I had cleaned an put up years ago. I live in OKC also. If you need to borrow any smelting equipment, I won't be using it till it cools off another 30 degrees. You will enjoy casting. Later Don

Cherokee
08-22-2014, 07:19 PM
257 - sounds like you have a good supply of raw materials, you need to get busy....