PDA

View Full Version : black powder and jacketed bullets

jhalcott
01-24-2008, 09:03 PM
I know this is a CAST site but I have some jacketed bullets and some black powder. I was thinking of using them in my 45-70 guns(bolt action rifle and T/C contenders) for an annual shoot at the club.We shoot at ranges of 50 to 200 yards at paper targets, so energy on target isn't a problem. Long as they make a hole!!

StrawHat
01-24-2008, 09:17 PM
It has been done.

I will try and find the resource for you.

Naturally, velocities will be lower than with cast and lubed bullets.

Paladin 56
01-24-2008, 10:58 PM
I figured since the 45-70 is a BP round, the first 10 rounds out of my new Marlin 45-70 would be jacketed bullets over BP (didn't have Pb boolits). Tried to weight out 70 grains, but, IIR, it wouldn't fit in the case, (no proper BP loading technique, i.e., [drop tube, volume measure, etc.]) so I dumped enough out to seat the bullets with a slightly compressed charge. Put three rounds into a stump at about 60 yards, all touching, making a perfect clover leaf. 350 gr. FP of some sort, Hornady, I believe.

Makes a lot of smoke and stinks, and clean up is a pain, but it works. Tends to discolor brass real bad, right quick.

Wayne Smith
01-25-2008, 11:09 AM
Don't have proper BP loading stuff? Have you an electric shaver or the like? The vibration will settle the powder nicely in the case. Fill the case full and vibrate it until you can seat a boolit or bullet with just a little compression. That's your load.

StrawHat
01-25-2008, 01:10 PM
Clean up isn't too bad if you are methodical.

First you need a way to hold your Marlin upside down so the residue does NOT drop into the action. I don't need this step with my single shots.

Then it is hot water and _______ fill in your favorite product. I am sure lots of suggestions will be made.

I have used Murphy's Oil Soap, dish soap, Windex w/ vinegar, plain vinegar, and some more I can't remember.

I believe the vinegar is the best followed by a hot bath. For both the gun and you.

Anyway, no reason not to use BP with the jacketed stuff, it is just more fun with lead.

Good luck

mazo kid
01-25-2008, 02:17 PM
And be sure to clean your brass right away too! Jacketed boolits are OK in modern steel barrels, just not good to use them regularly in the oldies. Emery

Wayne Smith
01-25-2008, 06:50 PM
No, you don't have to hold it upside down. You will have plenty of oomph to fully expand the brass, sealing the chamber. I shoot my Uberti 1873 Short Rifle in 44-40 almost exclusively in BP and lead. No leakage into the action at all. You won't have any, either. Just make sure you have a full case of powder, no air space at all. The bullet must compress the powder a touch.

oksmle
01-25-2008, 07:36 PM
Wayne Smith .... I have two 25# cans of FFFG BP that are about 30 years old & have never been opened. They have been "turned" twice each year (New Years & July 4th). Just got a new EMF with 24" bbl which I haven't yet fired. My idea was to dedicate it & a couple others to BP. In doing so I thought I'd also dedicate an extra lubrisizer to BP lube.
Question: What's your recomendation as to type of lube to flow through the sizer?
oksmle

Boz330
01-25-2008, 08:03 PM
I'm not Wayne but SPG or Bullshop's BP lube both work well or if you are a do-it-yourself kind of guy there are several recipes floating around the board that work pretty well.
Bob

longhorn
01-25-2008, 08:13 PM
Didn't several of the British black powder express ("b.p.e.") loads use jacketed projectiles and black powder? It'll work.

Jim
01-27-2008, 07:41 AM
At the risk of being eviscerated, try using some Hodgdon's Triple 7. It loads to BP specs, but doesn't make the stink or near the mess in the barrel. What it leaves in the barrel is a thin, chalk like deposit that is easily removed with normal cleaning methods and products. You can actually shoot a hunnerd rds. or more before having to clean. Works for me.

Wayne Smith
01-27-2008, 04:04 PM
It's Beeswax, anhydrous lanolin, and some Murphy's Oil Soap added. I alter the percentages of wax and lanolin to get the consistency I desire. Lanolin makes it sticky.

There are lots of BP lubes posted on the internet. Emmert's is one that is common. A search will provide enough to confuse you. Some people simply combine beeswax and crisco and that works. The big issue is to avoid any petroleum product. Parrafin (sp?- I'm hopeless) appears to be an exception to this.

StrawHat
01-28-2008, 12:30 PM
No, you don't have to hold it upside down.

I guess what I wrote was a bit ambiguous.

I meant hold the action upside down for cleaning, not shooting.

Many guys clean lever guns from the muzzle and all the gunk from the bore falls into the action unless the gun is held upside down.

Sorry for the confusion.

JSnover
01-28-2008, 12:39 PM
It's Beeswax, anhydrous lanolin, and some Murphy's Oil Soap added. I alter the percentages of wax and lanolin to get the consistency I desire. Lanolin makes it sticky.

There are lots of BP lubes posted on the internet. Emmert's is one that is common. A search will provide enough to confuse you. Some people simply combine beeswax and crisco and that works. The big issue is to avoid any petroleum product. Parrafin (sp?- I'm hopeless) appears to be an exception to this.

I use Emmerts and I like it a lot. There probably are a thousand different recipes and opinions on each one, but it's a great lube for new guys (like myself). It works and it's easy to make, easy to use. For hot weather or hot chambers you can stiffen it up easy enough.

MT Chambers
01-28-2008, 03:32 PM
If you're gonna use j-word bullets and black powder I would use a lube cookie of BP lube under the bullet, it should aid in cleaning, and thumbs down to the guy that wanted to use 777.