PDA

View Full Version : Need help with some ivory carvings

timspawn
07-30-2014, 02:24 PM
I just bought these. Can somebody help me figure out what they are and how old they are?

GOPHER SLAYER
07-30-2014, 02:39 PM
It is difficult to tell from the pictures how old they are and whether or not they are even ivory. There has been a federal ban on imported ivory for a long time. Many fake ivory carvings are being produced in the far east and they are made of epoxy of some sort. They make fake powder horns, scrimshawed whale's teeth and copies of Chinese noblemen. An antique dealer could tell you in about twenty seconds whether they are authentic or not..

starnbar
07-30-2014, 02:59 PM
The easiest way is to heat up a small needle get the tip red hot and touch the item somewhere it won't show if its a composite it will burn a small dimple in it if its bone you will smell a slight odor like burnt hair if its ivory it won't leave a mark or hurt it at all.

MBTcustom
07-30-2014, 03:52 PM
Contact member badwaterbill. He is wise and very educated about things like this.

Bad Water Bill
07-30-2014, 06:03 PM
Thanks for the compliment sir.

Many years ago we could buy ivory at gun,antique and many other shows and even thru trade fliers and catalogs and I did.

When the U S put a ban on Ivory many years ago I quit buying any more.

Yes I have been offered ivory since then and said NO because it looked and smelled like a government sting.

A true collector can tell you if it is real ivory and possibly the area it was carved in and sometimes even how long ago.

Would I buy ivory today from just anyone NO.

Would I buy a carving from anyone other than a true collector and seller of said items NO.

Would I sign papers under oath that all of the ivory I have ever possessed was legally obtained?

In a heartbeat.

There are still legitimate sources of ivory including "Mastadon from Siberia" available as well as natural substitutes such as Tagua Nuts still on the market for those that want to try their hand at carving and such.

Would I even try to say yes it is ivory or place a value on any ivory item today NO.

waksupi
07-30-2014, 06:59 PM
You have an opium bottle, three netsuke, and I don't know what the last thing is.
I would say the opium bottle is old, the other pieces modern reproductions, good chance they aren't real ivory.

timspawn
07-30-2014, 08:35 PM
Thank you all.

Mooseman
07-30-2014, 10:01 PM
one way to tell if they are plastic is to stick a hot soldering iron to the bottom....plastic will melt and smell like plastic burning.
Ivory , wont melt but eventually it will smell like bone burning after a long time.

AlaskanGuy
07-31-2014, 01:34 AM
Alaska is a pretty good source for Walrus Ivory... It must carry a fed stamp and be made into something native, but it is very nice to work with.... I got lots of stuff when I used to work in the villages up north....

AG

knifemaker
07-31-2014, 02:09 AM
The figure carvings appear to be Japanese and not Chinese. Use a hot needle to touch the bottom of the base and if it does not make a mark, it should be ivory. A wild *** guess will be late 1800's or early 1900's. They are better then average carvings and if they turn out to be ivory, you should get a expert opinion as to age and value.

runfiverun
07-31-2014, 02:45 AM
the second figure and the lady look correct to me.
the opium bottle maybe.
the first dude and the last big guy eeeehhh, dunno but certainly not old.
ivory takes on a look after a while and the little markings on the first guy give it away as a re-pro for sure.
there have been some recent changes to the laws making things a bit clearer, but even with that they are still a little muddled pre-85 is your best bet.