PDA

View Full Version : Is any of your stuff collectible and you never knew?

facetious
07-30-2014, 01:54 AM
Last year I was looking on another forum and there was some guy that had got his kids a A-Team boxed set of the TV show. Well the kids liked it so much he wanted to get them a Mini-14 in SS and a Falcon folder like the ones on the show. He was telling about all he went through to get the right model no. and how he had found a Falcon folder and it only cost $600.00! NOT the whole gun just the stock. I got one used in the mid 80's for that and it came with the gun, factory full stock, six 30 rd mags, case, one of those goofy scope mounts that go on the side, scope , aim point red dot and flash hider. I had some problems with it and sent it to Ruger to fix it and thy just gave me a new one instead and as it turns out it is the right model no. So it turns out I have a "A-Team Special".

I was just looking around on E- Bay at stocks and see that Rugers old boat paddle stocks are going for over 200.00. When Clinton was in the White house I got a .223 rem. with the boat paddle stock at a gun show. It was 300.00 before tax. I was looking at stocks for it because it has been a kind of love hate thing with it over the years and have thought of a new stock for it now and then. Now I find that the one I got because it was cheaper then the wood one is collectible. Nice factory wood stocks are under 100.00 and a Boyd's thumb hole is right at 100.00 but now I kind of feel bad about thinking of changing it. Maybe I should change the stock so I could keep the boat paddle in the safe as a investment.

You think of the stuff your dad or grand dad had as being collectible and then one day you find that you are now at that age that your stuff is!

"Older and older and older we get and where it will stop nobody knows"

Bad Water Bill
07-30-2014, 04:05 AM
I mentioned a grey ghost 22 H P in takedown model to a collector and mentioned a couple stories about her.

He got a big smile on his face and said "wright those stories down and I will pay you $1,000."

I only paid $25.00 for her along with 4 boxes of ammo.

Taylor
07-30-2014, 06:15 AM
My wife loan a canning book to her friend,she decided to order her own.$708 bucks for a paperback book! I told her she cannot loan it anymore.

imashooter2
07-30-2014, 06:41 AM
In 1980 or so, I sold 2 ticket stubs to The Beatles 1964 Philadelphia Convention Center concert for just shy of $400.

Lots of other stuff, but those are the ones that always stood out to me. 2 tiny bits of paper that didn't even have the full name of the band on either one. I've often pictured some janitor hauling a million bucks out to the trash bins back in 1964.

kbstenberg
07-30-2014, 08:13 AM
My mother saw the craze to own Beanie Babies and hoped to cashin. Long story short.
Now its 30 some years later. Mom has died. And left an old Captains trunk FULL of BB's, all of them sealed in the original plastic bags.
My daughter went to Eba and saw many of them are costing up to a couple hundred dollars.
Not 1 of them was sellable. They were all musty smelling. OH well.

lavenatti
07-30-2014, 08:43 AM
I bought a Russian Tiger at the urging of a friend who used to own a gun store. He gave me a great deal on it after he talked me into it (took about five visits, I really didn't want it).

I've seen them go for $3500 on gunbroker. I'm thinking of putting it up for sale.

I guess that makes it collectible but I still don't like it, never even shot it.

MtGun44
07-30-2014, 11:12 AM
"Russian Tiger" ?????? Please explain.

Bill

Bent Ramrod
07-30-2014, 12:40 PM
Over the years I've saved a bunch of powder cans (not that old, most of them) from the pre-cardboard and -plastic container era. Some I refill and use over because the square profile stores easier in a small space than the cylindrical plastic jars and bottles. But most are empty, just taking up space in storage. I was thinking of using them for target practice until I saw what a few of them were bringing in Swapping and Selling. I guess I'll have to hang on to them now.

I was marveling to a table holder at a Gun Show once how quickly routine items become Collectibles any more. "Yesterday's socks!" he snorted in disdain. It's almost true.

bangerjim
07-30-2014, 01:40 PM
I have purchased antique clocks in the past for several hundred dollars and they turned out to be worth 30-40x that much.

banger

Harter66
07-30-2014, 10:47 PM
I bought a badly bubba'd 03A3 and tried get the guy to come off a little more. When I got home I found that bbl'd actions were going for twice what I'd paid for a whole shootable rifle.
Most of my buys don't go that way,I usually end up with w/stuf that flat lines unless somebody really wants that particular piece, or I get the 1 there are a million of w/in the special 1 I missed by 2 digits. Unfortunately those that I buy and hold onto long enough to get valuable I get attached to and won't trade them off.

DeanWinchester
07-30-2014, 10:59 PM
"Russian Tiger" ?????? Please explain.

Bill

He's talking about a Soviet TIGR, otherwise known as a Dragunov. Not the wannabe enlarged AK's like the PSL or RomakIII but the real deal Dragunov.

.....and yes, it should bring a very pretty penny!

JWT
07-30-2014, 11:07 PM
I accidently purchased an old rolling block shotgun at an auction by scratching my nose. Paid $75 for it so I wasn't too upset. For years I stored it an top of one of my cold air returns. It turned out to be a Whitney 20ga. It actually seems to be fairly unusual in that guage. It now lives in the back of the safe.

JWT
07-30-2014, 11:19 PM
I picked up the 30 in the upper right corner for a song at an auction. It was the end of the day and people seemed to be worn out. I didn't realize these old Sharps derringers were in high demand. I ended up paying more for the much more common 22s.

lavenatti
07-31-2014, 07:25 AM

MtGun44 - This is a tiger. It's an SVD knockoff.

firefly1957
07-31-2014, 09:42 PM
Yes but i am not selling.

1989toddm
08-02-2014, 10:14 AM
I picked up the 30 in the upper right corner for a song at an auction. It was the end of the day and people seemed to be worn out. I didn't realize these old Sharps derringers were in high demand. I ended up paying more for the much more common 22s.

What would a remake of those sharps .22 be worth? My wife's uncle has one, and I've been curious ever since I saw it.

dbosman
08-07-2014, 03:18 PM
In my family history we've gotten rid of a LOT of trash that shortly turned out to be collectibles.
Oh, well.

One of the biggest disposals was trash cans full of glass insulators. The next county down had replaced miles of Rural Electrification lines with new poles and modern transmission lines. We took the cross posts for the wood. A couple of weeks after the trash truck picked them up, they were collectibles at $5.00 and up.

9w1911
08-08-2014, 01:34 AM
yes a pair of Nikes