PDA

View Full Version : .257 Stw

hungryhuntergirl
01-24-2008, 06:20 PM
Has anyone ever owned one of these? Where can I get the dies? I know that midway has the correct headstamp brass but i have heard that company does
not have the best reputation. Also I can size down a .7mm Stw, any other ideas
or tidbits of info on this caliber?

lastmanout
01-24-2008, 10:59 PM
Handloader magazine had article(s) on 'Inherent accurate calibers' . I THINK the 257 STW was not too highly rated- poor performance. I really like the 7 STW- it it a true Magnum and can be accurate, but I would not advise building a 257 STW. A second-hand one CHEAP, well maybe, but there are better choices out there. How about a 6.5x284, 243 ackley improved, or 6mm XC (David Tubb) with a 26-28" barrel? The tactical guys have pretty good luck with these. Speedy and somewhat efficient.

wiljen
01-25-2008, 09:59 AM
I would think throat erosion on a 257 STW would be the cause of accuracy fall off and, as bad a reputation as the 264 winchester and 257 Weatherby got as barrel burners, I can only imagine what 15-20% more powder capacity does. I'm betting you'll be replacing barrels at least every 3500-5000 rounds to maintain decent accuracy if not less than that.

hungryhuntergirl
01-25-2008, 11:19 AM
I already have a used one with a reamer and the balistics are screaming for that caliber...

wiljen
01-25-2008, 01:10 PM
I have no doubt that the trajectory tables are impressive. I'm just betting barrels don't last long. Most of the severely overbore cartridges suffer from equally severe throat erosion.

Bret4207
01-25-2008, 01:12 PM
Well, if you want it and realize it's way over bore, go for it. Midway has a fine rep as far as I know. Dies should be available on special order from RCBS, Redding, CH4D. Throat erosion will be a factor so I'd try and find a barrel with erosion resistant qualities. And you are right, it's a screamer!

Bullshop
01-25-2008, 02:25 PM
If you want to get an idea of how small bores with big cases eat barrels go back about three editione to Hornadys reloading book.
They show data for the 264 Win mag with 4 differant bullets and 10 powders. They say in that book" there are no free lunches" and that they wore out several barrels in developing the data for that edition.
Now the 264 Win is a slightly larger bore with about 20gn less powder capacity. In comparison the 257 stw will be far more erosive at equal pressure. Now you can certanly keep pressures down to improve barrel life but that brings up a couple issues.
First these big over bore cases generally have a very narrow pressure range (High) at which they will shoot well. This is because of the very large volume of very slow powders it takes to show a substancial gain in velocity over more standard cartridges like in this case a 25/06.
Second if your going to shoot reduced loads to improve barrel life then your only getting the performance of the standard cartridge, but likely as not it will be far more difficult to achieve good accuracy than with the standard cartridge. Conclusion, why bother?
If replacing barrels after 500 shots is not an issue then please disregard previous drivel.

Four Fingers of Death
01-25-2008, 06:35 PM
I think the beauty of things like the 25/06, 257Wby and the 257STW (actually I never realised it existed until now) are the fact that with premium bullets used on medium game, they can really reach out and whack things, This type of shooting does not normally consume lots of ammo so the barrel issue is not a consideration. Varmint hunting however, it would be a serious issue. As long as you are aware of it and factor it in. Most folk get bored with something before they wear it out.

I have a mint 1985 vintage Wby MkV in 240 Wby Mag, when it wears out I will rebarrel it to a 257 Wby, but my sensible side says go with the 25/06, still impressive performance, cheap brass and longer bbl life. Having said that, I wil probably go with the Wby anyway.

Sort of like me and motorcycles, I have a lovely old BMW R80ST, perfect bike for a guy who is nearly 60, but I just went out and bought a Kawasaki ZRX1200R (these things are nicknamed T Rex, for obvious reasons). Why? because I don't want to be sitting on the porch in years to come saying, scheeeeoooot! I wish I hadda tried one of those big suckers, they can really fly! I will however be treating it with the respect a gonzo performer deserves.

I think I'd select the 257 Wby, because it is known to be accurate and is reasonably readily available, over the STW, but if it takes your fancy and you factor in the Bbl life (or lack of it :) )Go for it!

Please let us know how you go, we are incurable sticky beaks (or rubber neckers I think you guys call them) when it comes to any sort of gun.

It and the Wby would have to be like long range ray guns, nope!! Nothing wrong with that! :D

hungryhuntergirl
01-27-2008, 01:40 PM
Well, I got a good deal on the reamer so if the round does what i want I have a few stock barrels taken off other project guns that I can ream out so that is not an issue...the main thing is that it is pretty steady for holding a target out to 400 yards so there is no fussing with the scope on a deer!!

Bullshop
01-27-2008, 02:03 PM
With a 100 to 120gn bullet pushed to the potential of the cartridge with a 300 yard zero you shouldnt have any problems with that at all.
Find a bullet that can handle the stress both in the barrel and in the game.
By all means stay away from the lighter half of the available weight range. Most conventional lead core bullets from that side of the scale are thin skinned varmint bullets.
Would enjoy hearing how the load development works out. My guess is you will find happyness with a 120gn bullet with a case full of H-50 BMG or H-870 or similar assuming the twist in your barrel is adiquite for the longer bullets.
Blessings
BIC/BS

hungryhuntergirl
01-28-2008, 11:07 AM
Thanks for the info on the bullets, there is a source for just about any grain at wildcatbullets (I think, I have it saved in my favorites)...so we will try a few different loads and see how each performs, but yeah we will probably go with a 120 grain. I have a .308 heavy barrel stainless fluted krieger on a bench rest stock for true target shooting. The .257 is just a toy/hunting gun to kick around with so I seriously doubt that it will get shot out too terribly quick!!

Bullshop
01-28-2008, 01:25 PM
Hungryhuntergirl
Please forgive me first because I am about to subvert you thread and secondly because I may seem a bit, ah lets say ah assuming.
I must have missed your introduction and it seems you are new hear(at least to me). I am trying to get a mental picture of whom I am talking to and I am probably way wrong.
I have this idea for some reason that you are a fairly young gal with a Dad or possibly even a husband that is a major gun nut and because of this you have access to the tooling required to be classified as a gun nut. The thing I am admiring is that you are showing an interest in these things yourself.
Please let me know if I am right or wrong or at least slap me and tell me its none of my business. That in itself would tell me something.
There are a couple reasons why I am curious. One is that if I know you better I prolly wont say as many stupid things and may be able to better help.
The other thing is that If I am right about you and you are single I have some boys here that will soon be of marrying age and I cant think of a more perfect type for a daughter inlaw. Yup you would fit right in.
OK you may slap me now. No offence ment, and if I had missed the chance before I welcome you now.
When that project gets rolling I,(we) want to hear more.
Blessings on ya
BIC/BS

hungryhuntergirl
01-28-2008, 03:25 PM
LOL, I hear ya!! No Offense..I get it all the time...I am 34 (soon, too soon 35) I am married and actually the .308 is mine, and the .257 is mine, he as of right now only has hunting rifles and a 25/06 ackley improved barrel and action (no stock yet). I only hunt with a 7/08 so far for the past few years, dont get me wrong it does a good job, but I have passed on many large bucks because they were too far off to adjust for my hunting scope...I will post pics of some of my "projects".

hungryhuntergirl
01-28-2008, 03:30 PM
Here is the gun:
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a99/hhg/GetAttachment.jpg
Here is me shooting a .416 wildcat heavy gun at our range..
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a99/hhg/th_03-11-07_1841.jpg (http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a99/hhg/?action=view&current=03-11-07_1841.flv)

Bullshop
01-28-2008, 05:29 PM
Looks like some real serious long range equipment.
Double rats on you being married. I mean cmon a lady gun nut shooter exibiting comon sence. What more can a FIL ask for. Guess I have to keep shopping.
Is there perhaps a younger unattached female sibbling?
Wow I can only imagin what the dowry would be like.
One of my sons just finnished building a 6mm/284, should I send pictures of the 6/284?
Blessings on ya!
BIC/BS

hungryhuntergirl
01-28-2008, 05:43 PM
LOL, no sister...keep tryin though!! You got elk in them parts? LOL...anyhow, I have some sense when it comes to rifles and such, learned a lot over the past few years but my dad was an explsoive technician (which brought about his downfall from exposure to radiation doing nuclear testing at white sands) so I got a fair amount of engineering blood from him. Not to mention but he taught Johnny Cash how to play the guitar in Germany when they were stationed together!! Nother long story [smilie=1: Yeah, post the pic or I can give ya my email addy...

runfiverun
01-28-2008, 06:48 PM
call huntingtons for those dies they are next door to rcbs so if they dont have it they know where to get it made

runfiverun

hungryhuntergirl
01-28-2008, 06:50 PM
Cool, thanks runfiverun b/c I have tried RCBS all day and the dang phone stays busy!!

Dark Helmet
01-30-2008, 12:59 AM
Dies listed as 25 STW http://www.ch4d.com/

hungryhuntergirl
01-30-2008, 12:21 PM
I sent em an email to see if I coud get the .257 stw dies...Thanks Dark Helmet!!

C1PNR
02-04-2008, 01:27 AM
I'm going to be watching your load development and other comments very closely.

My Brother wants a "hot rock" .25 and had been talking about the 25'06. I told him NO! Do the .257 STW! This is after I saw the 7mmSTW and then heard about the .257, so keep us informed.:)

And GOOD LUCK! BTW, that's a good looking Buck in your Avatar.:drinks:

Andy_P
02-04-2008, 07:48 AM
I get a kick out of the predictable warning to avoid it, it's a "barrel burner", when someone shows interest in a large capacity wildcat cartridge.

The interested person was not looking for a round that would extend barrel life, neither was efficiency on her list. Rarely is there any practical motivation other than curiosity and wanting to do something (and have something) different. That's why people own more than three guns, even when they don't "need" them. Furthermore, so what if it erodes the throat in 1500 rounds rather than 5000? These monsters aren't shot much and if it is, by then the owner will want to try a different barrel, or might have tired of it completely and will use the action for something else.

I doubt you'll shoot cast from it.....but go for it and please report back!

hungryhuntergirl
02-05-2008, 11:00 AM
I'm going to be watching your load development and other comments very closely.

My Brother wants a "hot rock" .25 and had been talking about the 25'06. I told him NO! Do the .257 STW! This is after I saw the 7mmSTW and then heard about the .257, so keep us informed.:)

And GOOD LUCK! BTW, that's a good looking Buck in your Avatar.:drinks:

Thanks fer the compliment!! I am going to order dies pretty soon and Once I get a little time to settle down after hunting season I am gonna figure some loads out on the load program on my pc that I have.

I get a kick out of the predictable warning to avoid it, it's a "barrel burner", when someone shows interest in a large capacity wildcat cartridge.

The interested person was not looking for a round that would extend barrel life, neither was efficiency on his list. Rarely is there any practical motivation other than curiosity and wanting to do something (and have something) different. That's why people own more than three guns, even when they don't "need" them. Furthermore, so what if it erodes the throat in 1500 rounds rather than 5000? These monsters aren't shot much and if it is, by then the owner will want to try a different barrel, or might have tired of it completely and will use the action for something else.

I doubt you'll shoot cast from it.....but go for it and please report back!
Thanks you for your support, sometimes it is hard to get support when you do something different and not follow there yellow brick road.