PDA

View Full Version : Theodore "Dutch" Van Kirk has died

Petrol & Powder
07-29-2014, 08:26 PM
The last surviving member of the Enola Gay mission over Hiroshima has died.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-28548475

I first read about Van kirk in Paul Tibbets' book "Return of the Enola Gay"

Paul Tibbets could pick his own crew. When selecting the navigator, Tibbets picked Theodore "Dutch" Van Kirk as the man that would guide his B-29 on the 12 hour and 13 minute flight that would help to end World War II.

In 1945 navigation lacked Satellites, GPS receivers, LORAN transmitters, inertial navigation systems and modern systems.
Sextants, compasses, mechanical watches and tables such as "The American Practical Navigator, by Bowditch" were the tools of the day. Navigators of that era had abilities that are largely lost today. They had enormous responsibilities even when that were not called upon to deliver the product of the Manhattan Project.

Elkins45
07-29-2014, 09:09 PM
I met him at the National Gun Day show in Louisville a few years ago. The world is diminished by the loss of these great men.

in one of Ambrose's books he mentioned that the guys who scored highest on the aircrew tests weren't assigned to be the pilots--they were assigned to be the navigators.

Petrol & Powder
07-29-2014, 09:26 PM
I was waiting to get my hair cut one day and there was an older gentleman seated beside me. I noticed his old but very nice Hamilton watch and commented that it appeared to be a navigator's watch. It was an issued navigator's watch and he was a retired Army Air Corps (pre-air force) navigator. We chatted for a few minutes and I was impressed with his knowledge and understated demeanor. Those guys are sharp !

Bad Water Bill
07-30-2014, 04:35 AM
I like a few others here am old enough to remember when those heroes were JUST our neighbors relatives co workers (crew members) and indeed it is a loooong list but they were the nicest folks I ever met.

Thank You one and all for what you did for me and my country.

JSnover
07-30-2014, 07:28 AM
A few years ago I visited the Pima Air and Space Museum. Their B29 and the oral presentation about Tibbets and that mission were amazing. Truly, they were heroes.
http://www.pimaair.org/