PDA

View Full Version : I'm retiring

plmitch
07-28-2014, 02:14 PM
Woke up this morning and told my wife I'm done. 25 years of working construction is enough. I was diagnosed with stage 4 kidney cancer last fall. It's spread around now and the chemos been no fun. I have two weeks left on a project and then I'll let my crews go. Going to offer my lead guys the opportunity to buy out my trucks, tools and stock. Done chasing money, missed to much family time. Looking towards relaxing for a change.

Taylor
07-28-2014, 02:17 PM
I retired 30 April this year.So far I have enjoyed it.One of the main reason's,aside from giving Uncle Sam 34 years,was my health.

Larry Gibson
07-28-2014, 02:27 PM
Taylor

I notice the 503 Infantry Regiment DUI. That is my Regimental affiliation. I was with Recon Section, HHC, 1/503rd. (different TO&E back then)

Larry Gibson

mold maker
07-28-2014, 02:37 PM
Retirement should come first while we are healthy enough to enjoy it. After 6 years I'd rather work in misery, than try to relax and enjoy loafing, in pain.

buckwheatpaul
07-28-2014, 02:50 PM
plmitch, I hope you get better and will pray for your recovery.....now, retirement is great I've done it twice....once because I couldnt work for what became a Godless cutthroat p.d. and the second time by 36 votes....What I'm trying to say is that it is great being with my wife and grandkids....chasing cows around and shooting and reloading.....sleeping when I get tired and by all means.....loose that dawgone watch....have a ball!

JonB_in_Glencoe
07-28-2014, 03:14 PM
Congrats on the retirement decision, I hope and pray you beat the Cancer.

skeettx
07-28-2014, 03:21 PM
Great decision!
I have been retired 3 1/2 years and love it !!
Play as hard as you worked and it will be FUN
Mike

bubba.50
07-28-2014, 03:38 PM
wish you was retirin' for more pleasurable reasons friend. hopin' for the best for ya. have a good'en, bubba.

Mumblypeg
07-28-2014, 03:40 PM
Retirement should come first while we are healthy enough to enjoy it. After 6 years I'd rather work in misery, than try to relax and enjoy loafing, in pain.

You got that right.......

FISH4BUGS
07-28-2014, 03:46 PM
I envy those that can retire. I put a daughter through college at $60,000 a year all told. So much for my retirement.
But then, i don't know what the heck I would do all day if I were retired. There is only so much casting, reloading, shooting, gardening and yard work that a guy can do each day.

bayjoe
07-28-2014, 03:50 PM
Good for you, I hope you enjoy retirement. Relax and get better.

Taylor
07-28-2014, 06:47 PM
Taylor

I notice the 503 Infantry Regiment DUI. That is my Regimental affiliation. I was with Recon Section, HHC, 1/503rd. (different TO&E back then)

Larry Gibson

(Hard Rock) Charlie 2nd Battalion

shooter93
07-28-2014, 06:51 PM
Best of luck with the cancer pl and I too wish it was for a more favorable condition that you make the decision. I've worked construction for 50 years now and I'm sure it surprises most people that for me....retirement is a fate worse than death. I do hope you get to enjoy yours for a VERY long time yet.

fivegunner
07-28-2014, 06:58 PM
I wish you the best, you will be in my prayers God Bless.

Charley
07-28-2014, 06:59 PM
Not a cheerful reason to retire, not good. retirement, on the other hand, is a good thing. Did it almost 11 months ago, when my wife did. I had planned on working another year or so, but working conditions became such that I told the middlemen of the business I worked with they could take a jump up certain parts of my anatomy. My financial planner kept telling me I could retire, had enough assets and investments. He's my oldest son, who works for a large financial planning/investment company. I know he's not trying to sell me something, and doesn't want us to have to live with him when we are older!

I'm almost busier now than I was when I was working.

Brother Bob
07-28-2014, 07:03 PM
Woke up this morning and told my wife I'm done. 25 years of working construction is enough. I was diagnosed with stage 4 kidney cancer last fall. It's spread around now and the chemos been no fun. I have two weeks left on a project and then I'll let my crews go. Going to offer my lead guys the opportunity to buy out my trucks, tools and stock. Done chasing money, missed to much family time. Looking towards relaxing for a change.

God bless you brother. I retired from "Ma Bell" back in 2010 to come home and take care of my dying mother. Hope all of the "Big C" is killed and you can enjoy the rest of your life and spend all the time you want with your family.

blackthorn
07-28-2014, 07:15 PM
Good for you!!! I retired in Sept/04, 6mo later-- back to work (contract) for two years, retired again, 6 weeks later back to work (different job, but related) for 6 months, retired again, 3months later back to work (short contract, 6 weeks) and haven't been back to work since! Every once in awhile I think it might be nice to do a little work for money, but after a few minutes of reflection,----naw, that's not a good idea! Hope the cancer treatment gets your cancer into remission for a VERY long time!!

CastingFool
07-28-2014, 07:28 PM
Glad to hear of your upcoming retirement, PMitch, but not for the reason behind it. God can do mighty things if it is His will. I will pray that it is. I retired last August, and not having to punch a time clock is great. I'm not one to sit around much, but my wife is very good at keeping me occupied. Last summer, I laid 350 sqft of ceramic tile in our basement, just got done putting new hardwood flooring in our dining room and hallway, around 320 sqft total. Now I'm working on the trim, since it all has to be repositioned. Next, brakes on our van, and our daughter's.

ph4570
07-28-2014, 08:25 PM
Hope you kick the cancer and enjoy retirement.

I retired last year after working for 39 years designing electronics do-dads -- should have done it sooner.

6bg6ga
07-28-2014, 08:47 PM
Beat the cancer and have some fun

schutzen
07-28-2014, 08:50 PM
Great Unit, I did most of my active duty with 2/327th, but all of my reserve duty was with the 503rd, 3 shop. Great people and great memories.

(Hard Rock) Charlie 2nd Battalion

Huskerguy
07-28-2014, 09:06 PM
The days and years are in the Lord's hands. Enjoy each day He gives you and family. From one hard worker to another - I sometimes think it is pretty overrated. Here is praying the cancer goes away. My 34 year old son just hit his 5 year anniversary of having half his tongue removed and rebuilt with his right arm. He was a runner in HS and had college opportunities. He never drank or smoked and never chewed, rarely drank a soda. You just never know. Enjoy each day, blessings man.

Springfield
07-28-2014, 09:16 PM
Mitch: Spend time with your family while you can. If all goes well you can go back to work later if you want to, work is always there, but not the family time. Right now just focus on the quality time. If you ever need someone to go shooting with I am not that far away. I'll probably never be able to retire and do nothing, but I decided a few years ago to just be with the kids and do leather work to help out with the bills as much as I can. It sucks to be broke but it is worse to miss your family time.

lightman
07-28-2014, 09:56 PM
I wish you the best. Keep a positive attitude and beat the big "C"! Others have and you can too. Stay in touch, we would like to hear from you. You're in our prayers, Lightman.

michiganmike
07-28-2014, 10:12 PM
PLMitch,

Congratulations on your retirement. And God bless your time with your wife and children, grandchildren in your retirement. And God grant you healing from your cancer, and above all the blessing of his presence with you.

I retired in February this year. My job was a demanding one. And I was just running out of juice. Since retiring, I'm only taking about half the meds I was while working.

I now serve a small church in mid-Michigan 3 days a week. I am enjoying it, and the members and I are getting along well. It is a joy.

I went out to a range this afternoon and sighted in a new shotgun scope. It's a Konus 1.5X5, very nice for my needs. I have it putting rounds into a 4" circle at 50 yards. I need to do some tweaking, but it is a good start. The gun is a Remington 870 with a rifled barrel.

I am shooting lead 510 grain (as they fall from my mould) Lyman sabot rounds over 25 grains of Herco in a WW AA hull. The fps. is estimated at 1273 by Lyman's data. It is easy on the shoulder, which is nice.

My best to all my fellow retirees and bullet casters,

MichiganMike

MaryB
07-28-2014, 10:21 PM
Enjoy the family time, when I was forced into retirement with a bad spine I got to spend more time with my parents. Glad I did because dad passed away last summer. The medical stuff is easier to fight too when you can give it full attention with no other things to worry about.

elkhuntfever
07-29-2014, 10:00 AM
My friend, my prayers are with you in your fight with the cancer.

smoked turkey
07-29-2014, 11:06 AM
Mitch I am sorry to hear of your ordeal with cancer. I hate that dreadful disease having dealt with it myself on a very small basis (melanoma), and close family and many friends with problems one way and another. When a person gets to the end of the road, I don't think people usually say boy I wish I had worked more. Rather I believe they wish they had spent more quality time with those that mean the most to them. I think you should adjust your spending to be able to retire earlier than you might have planned and spend that time "smelling the roses". Don't leave God out of the whole equation either. You need to develop a relationship with the great Physician, Jesus Christ, because if you do that right everything else will fall into place.

plmitch
07-29-2014, 11:53 AM
Thanks everyone for the prayers and kind words. I plan to beat this with his help.

unclebill
07-29-2014, 12:03 PM
my spinal arthritis has foced me to retire from construction

and since my new bride makes 5 times what i do.
she told me i didnt have to work.
but i am bored
and my hobbies are expensive
so i am gonna find some kind of something to do a few days a week.
bring in a bit of pocket money and keep me occupied.

Comrade Mike
07-29-2014, 12:05 PM
Good luck buddy. I hope you beat the cancer. Stay active and stay moving, don't let immobility hit your health. Try fishing :)

John Allen
07-29-2014, 12:09 PM
As a self employed person I understand this. Good luck with everything. John

plmitch
07-29-2014, 09:29 PM
Mitch: Spend time with your family while you can. If all goes well you can go back to work later if you want to, work is always there, but not the family time. Right now just focus on the quality time. If you ever need someone to go shooting with I am not that far away. I'll probably never be able to retire and do nothing, but I decided a few years ago to just be with the kids and do leather work to help out with the bills as much as I can. It sucks to be broke but it is worse to miss your family time.

Springfield, are you still doing the cowboy shoots at Coyote Valley? Been meaning to get down there to watch it and shoot a round of clays.

MaryB
07-29-2014, 09:43 PM
I picked up a laser engraver to pad my income a few dollars each month

my spinal arthritis has foced me to retire from construction

and since my new bride makes 5 times what i do.
she told me i didnt have to work.
but i am bored
and my hobbies are expensive
so i am gonna find some kind of something to do a few days a week.
bring in a bit of pocket money and keep me occupied.

crazy mark
07-30-2014, 12:46 AM
Mitch, Beat the cancer. I retired in April after a year long battle with Melanoma which I beat. Fortunately they caught it in time as it had hit my right lung and lymph nodes in my left arm. After surgery I did 1 year of bio-therapy and no signs after 6 months. I pray you can have the same results. The therapy isn't fun. Mark

gunoil
07-30-2014, 05:00 PM
Think'in bout ya. You have hobbies and family too.

Springfield
07-30-2014, 05:31 PM
My wife, my 2 kids and I all shoot it, 2nd Saturday of the month. Shoot another match on the 3rd Saturday on some private property, a smaller group. You are welcome at either anytime, and your family. I have extra guns, so come on down and shoot with us. I promise I won't make you shoot BP, unless you want to!

Teddo
07-31-2014, 01:00 AM
Its only strange for a while getting up to find it's Saturday no matter what day it really is.Best of luck on getting well....Teddo

plmitch
07-31-2014, 10:16 AM
My wife came home yesterday with a dry erase board to make a honeydo list. Might have to rethink this retirement stuff......

WILCO
07-31-2014, 12:49 PM
My wife came home yesterday with a dry erase board to make a honeydo list. Might have to rethink this retirement stuff......

That's how it goes!

DougGuy
07-31-2014, 12:57 PM
Take the time off to heal, and spend it with family, friends, and some things you enjoy!

I took the last year off due to getting treatment for tonsil cancer all last summer, and I have made the most of quality time at home. Kind of like a pre-retirement vacation. This year has actually not been too bad, I got to enjoy the garden and had gained enough physical strength to work it this year. Hope and prayers for your recovery and yes do take the time and enjoy what you can.

MaryB
07-31-2014, 10:37 PM
I keep one on the fridge for the grocery list. Use something up write it down. If I can't shop it from the pantry I add it to the monthly grocery trip. Friends asked why write it there if I may have it in the pantry. I told them it keeps them out of the pantry and from messing up my storage system :bigsmyl2: I have at any given time 6-18 months of food on hand but some stuff I do run out of.

plmitch
08-03-2014, 01:10 AM
Take the time off to heal, and spend it with family, friends, and some things you enjoy!

I took the last year off due to getting treatment for tonsil cancer all last summer, and I have made the most of quality time at home. Kind of like a pre-retirement vacation. This year has actually not been too bad, I got to enjoy the garden and had gained enough physical strength to work it this year. Hope and prayers for your recovery and yes do take the time and enjoy what you can.

I'll pray for you also.

CopperniX
08-03-2014, 02:23 AM
Wish I could retire but I am still a little too young to retire.

plmitch
08-12-2014, 12:21 AM
First day off. Strange feeling not having to get up and chase money.

1989toddm
08-12-2014, 03:39 PM
First day off. Strange feeling not having to get up and chase money.

So how was your first day?

skeettx
08-12-2014, 04:52 PM
Yeeee hawwww
Enjoy this year!!!

plmitch
08-13-2014, 10:00 AM
So how was your first day?

Good, slow day. Went for chemo.

DeputyDog25
08-13-2014, 01:29 PM
Mitch, prayers being sent your way brother for God's healing hand upon you. My wife and I will also keep you and your family in our prayers that your needs both spiritually and financially be met. May God touch you with comfort and peace during your treatment and that he would lay his healing hand upon you. I am here for you brother if you need anything. You have blessed me in my situation and I hope to be able to help you in some way. God Bless you and your family my friend.

plmitch
08-14-2014, 01:05 PM
Mitch, prayers being sent your way brother for God's healing hand upon you. My wife and I will also keep you and your family in our prayers that your needs both spiritually and financially be met. May God touch you with comfort and peace during your treatment and that he would lay his healing hand upon you. I am here for you brother if you need anything. You have blessed me in my situation and I hope to be able to help you in some way. God Bless you and your family my friend.

Thank you Sir. Prayers to you and yours also.

Lloyd Smale
08-15-2014, 06:57 AM
the wife and i will add you to our prayer list.

plmitch
08-16-2014, 01:17 PM
the wife and i will add you to our prayer list.

Thank you.