PDA

View Full Version : First time this ever happened to me.

happy7
07-28-2014, 12:38 PM
I have an RCBS Promelt that I use for 50/50 alloy. I had put WW and pure in the day before and let it freeze full of lead. I turned on the pot next day and went to some other tasks. When I came back, the pot was still full of unmelted lead but there was a cone of lead from the base of the pot to the spout that was probably 7 or 8 pounds worth. But the pot was still full!

Eventually I worked out that the pot had melted the lead on the botton of the pot. All I can figure is that the alloys stayed pretty seperate and the WW must have been on the bottom and melted first. Some type of thermal expansion must have been responsible for the unmelted lead at the top fo the pot lifting the valve and letting all the melted lead out on the bottom. What I don't get is how the spout was warm that quick before the lead on top was melted. That has never happened before. Even accounting for the different melting temps of the different alloys, I wouldn't have expected that.

It was a heck of a thing to get it resolved. Without lead at the bottom of the pot, the lead at the top would only get warm. It would not melt. I tried first to drill, but that didn't seem like it would lead to a hole big enough to get molton lead to the bottom. Then I tried melting the lead from the top with a propane torch but that didn't get hot enough to really do anything. Fortunately I also have oxyacetelene and a couple minutes with that finally melted the lead and it ploped to the bottom. So problem is solved, but it really was a strange thing. It really felt weird looking at a full unmelted pot of lead and a cone of lead that just melted out of it. At first it just didn't add up.

dtknowles
07-28-2014, 02:15 PM
Wow, just Wow

Tim

aspangler
07-28-2014, 02:46 PM
You haven't been feeding the Maugwas after midnight have you. Gremlins are soooo bad! :bigsmyl2:

mold maker
07-28-2014, 02:58 PM
If I'm not mistaken the Promelt has a loop of heating element around the spout.
The topped off pot had enough cold lead above the mid pot element that the top didn't melt before the expanding melt below it forced lead past the valve.
This has been reported before. The solution is to leave only a couple inches of lead to freeze in the pot. The second recommendation is to never leave your pot unattended. That way anything that is unexpected doesn't get too far along without being noticed.

gpidaho
07-28-2014, 03:07 PM
Be aware that if you leave linotype to freeze in the pot you wont get a cone below the spout but possibly a volcanic explosion to the ceiling and all over everything when you reheat things. GP

OuchHot!
07-28-2014, 05:02 PM
I had that happen once with my pro-melt as well. Since then, I draw it down to maybe 60% capacity before shutting it off. I think that any pot with a vertical draw rod can do that. It made me pretty nervous and I was glad for the ingot mold under the pizzle.

jmorris
07-28-2014, 05:45 PM
I can see that could make a mess.

My homemade pot has the heating element wrapped around the OD with the top and bottom not in direct contact, so the OD of the frozen lead always melts first.

I guess the pro melt has the element on the bottom?

OuchHot!
07-29-2014, 03:27 PM
I don't know where the element is on the pro-melt but I do not think it is all the way down on the bottom. The reason is that I get pizzle freezing and had to wrap it with glass wool like a scarf/muffler to keep it pizzling.

a.squibload
07-29-2014, 05:01 PM
Try something with no valve, maybe with a propane burner under it.
Works every time...:-P
'Course you'll have to spend some bucks on a ladle.

el34
07-29-2014, 07:59 PM
Be aware that if you leave linotype to freeze in the pot you wont get a cone below the spout but possibly a volcanic explosion to the ceiling and all over everything when you reheat things. GP

Why is that?

jmorris
07-30-2014, 09:36 AM

The only time I had Lynotype act like that was adding actual type to an already molten mix making ingots, must have been the ink. The only way I do it now is to put it in the ingot pot cold and let it heat up slowly.

Dusty Bannister
07-30-2014, 09:45 AM
Why is that?

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?246898-Tinsel-Fairy-visit-of-yesteryear

See post #4 for an explaination.