PDA

View Full Version : I just got laid off!!

multigunner76
07-28-2014, 07:23 AM
On the way to work this morning the Boss called. Said take two weeks off. He will call me when work picks back up. Too bad its not hunting season. Blessing in disguise? Maybe. I did get a new mold Saturday. And my neighbor has been catching some nice Bass in his pond. What to do?

Hickory
07-28-2014, 07:30 AM
Sign up for unemployment, in most states you're eligible when layed off for 2 weeks.
Take the family camping and fishing for a few days.

multigunner76
07-28-2014, 07:41 AM
Its not worth the hassle of unemployment. But Im thinking last minute trip before school's back in. I wonder if the Reds and Specks are hitting out at Grand Isle.

farmerjim
07-28-2014, 07:47 AM
My neighbor just brought me some reds and specks that he caught at Grand Isle. They were good. I gave him 2 watermelons, It was a good trade for me.

southpaw
07-28-2014, 07:56 AM
Its not worth the hassle of unemployment. But Im thinking last minute trip before school's back in. I wonder if the Reds and Specks are hitting out at Grand Isle.

If I am not mistaken they keep the first weeks pay (actually they just don't pay you for it). Sign up and if you get laid off again you start collecting right off the bat.

Just a thought.

Jerry Jr.

labradigger1
07-28-2014, 07:59 AM
Yes, that stinks.
Ive been off for about three weeks and already going crazy. I think i may go back tomorrow.
Good luck on getting back to work.
Lab

multigunner76
07-28-2014, 08:09 AM
My neighbor just brought me some reds and specks that he caught at Grand Isle. They were good. I gave him 2 watermelons, It was a good trade for me.

Thats good to know. I'm trying to convince the wife that its a good idea to go fishing!!

bobthenailer
07-28-2014, 08:12 AM
I myself have been laid off many times ! I hope you have some extra cash to see you through until UE kicks in! try to enjoy yourself , do some jobs around the house that you have been putting off and dont forget to do something shooting related every day.
I was laid of on July 30 , 4 years ago, i was 62 on Aug 3 of that same year , i decided i had enough of there BS ! so i retired ! best move i every made !!

Pb2au
07-28-2014, 08:18 AM
I was laid off from Generous Motors for about a month many years ago. So for a laugh, I went and signed up for unemployment. Wow, what a giant pain in the posterior, coupled with being treated like a form of pond scum from the people in the unemployment office. I guess I can't blame them too much, as I suspect they deal some interesting characters day in day out. Anywho, it was an educational experience at least.
Best of luck to you, I hope you get back to work soon.

MBTcustom
07-28-2014, 08:23 AM
I've been laid off only once. Right after 9/11.
I considered it my "job" at that point to find a better job. I got my resume together and started beating on doors. This took me away from my hometown and I hated it. Checked exactly 153 shops, before somebody gave me a shot, and I ended up staying at that company for 6 years.

Pb2au
07-28-2014, 08:25 AM
Same here. After getting laid off from GM, I realized my future there was not too bright. That spurred me out of lethargy and I ended up in the company I am with now.

waynem34
07-28-2014, 08:29 AM
I signed up online for and got unemployment, never went to the office.Called in my job contacts.I dont think I ever went to the office.

Handloader109
07-28-2014, 08:37 AM
Depending on the State you reside in, Unemployment may be really easy or a bit difficult. In recent years, with so many folks on it, most States have streamlined. I would NOT ignore it and go ahead and sign up. You don't know that you'll be called back in two weeks. If he extends it longer, you are already receiving the aid.

dakotashooter2
07-28-2014, 09:14 AM
I was laid off from Generous Motors for about a month many years ago. So for a laugh, I went and signed up for unemployment. Wow, what a giant pain in the posterior, coupled with being treated like a form of pond scum from the people in the unemployment office. I guess I can't blame them too much, as I suspect they deal some interesting characters day in day out. Anywho, it was an educational experience at least.
Best of luck to you, I hope you get back to work soon.

They don't know how to treat people who have honestly worked most of their lives and have never been without a job.

It's really a joke anyway. The one time I was laid off I was out beating on doors and had a job before I even collected a check. I couldn't believe they only required 3 job contacts a week. what a joke... I made more than that the first day.

Harter66
07-28-2014, 10:02 AM
Today marks the 1st day of my 25th week of work since my lay off recall cycle started 1/8/13. The 1st extended vaca this yr was 169 days. There's lots of jobs w/in 80mi but its not ok for me to take $12/hr 30hr/wk job after 18yr of 40 +/wk and the current rate over 20/hr w/full pack. 8yr ago the last time I really pushed for jobs I put out 125 resumes 250 plus apps in 12 weeks and had 4 search engines pulling jobs.It got me 5 calls 3 interviews and the recall.

I've taken advantage of the time and the 360/wk to haul some more of my folks stuff to Ar ,meet some members, hunt geese and hogs where there are more than enough to go around,cut a little firewood...... Fact is most days I was too busy to have gone to work.

labradigger1
07-28-2014, 10:42 AM
Getting laid off is something i guess i need to get used to. I was a construction super for many years and got tired of being out of town so i quit and joined the carpenters union. I worked a little over a year and got laid off for the first time in my life. I have always been used to a salaried posistion with benifits. Ive been off about 3 weeks now and chomping at the bit to get back. People tell me im crazy but i have always enjoyed working.
I have been getting some groundhog hunting and range time in though so thats good. Also been enjoying time with the wife as we are made for each other (married 14 years now).
Would have liked to go camping for a couple weeks but the weather around here has been crappy lately.
lab

blackthorn
07-28-2014, 11:33 AM
Good advice to apply for UE. With a boss that waits till you are on the way to work to call to tell you of the lay-off, it is likely he could wait till the time he indicated your return to work and just extend the lay-off. Whenever I was laid off, (which was not often) I spent 8 hours a day trying to find something else, but I always applied for UE because you just never know. Good luck to you whatever you decide!

jcwit
07-28-2014, 11:49 AM

It's money you paid in to the system, and you are going to turn it down?

MaryB
07-28-2014, 10:56 PM
I worked for a kitchen cabinet factory for 2 years in between electronic technician/computer technician jobs. Got laid off every Jan for 6 weeks. Filed for UE and went ice fishing and late season hunting in the snow. If you know they are going to call you back there is no job search requirement.

Frank46
07-28-2014, 11:55 PM
Darn that really must have hurt. I had a boss in management who was way too fond of the phrase" be lucky you have a job". Actually the joke was on him. We were both scheduled to retire at the same time. The company downsized and after 30 years of rotating shifts I was burned out big time. Put my papers in, sold the house after we bought one down here and as of 1/1/96 I was a free man. Plane out of LaGuardia was 2 hours late so free booze. I wasn't feeling any pain when we landed and didn't have to drive. I sincerely hope that your layoff is only temporary. Frank

Gator 45/70
07-29-2014, 12:19 AM
No doubt your in Louisiana, Sign up as fast as you can for unemployment, Your employer will have to pay part of what you draw, He will find you work in order to not to pay !

FISH4BUGS
07-29-2014, 03:08 PM
I got laid off 32 years ago. I borrowed $3000 on a 90 day note (used my truck as collateral) and went into business for myself. I have been selling software and consulting ever since. Best thing that ever happened to me.

Riverpigusmc
07-29-2014, 07:49 PM
It's money you paid in to the system, and you are going to turn it down?

Hate to disagree, but, as a business owner and electrical contractor, I can confirm employees do NOT pay into unemployment funds. That fee is paid solely by the business owner/employer

fatelk
07-29-2014, 09:35 PM
From the tone of the OP, I assume you're not in a desperate situation and the likelihood of it just being a couple weeks is good? Heck, enjoy the time.

I've been laid off twice in my life, both times due to plant closures. The first was the end of '08. I was one of the very last of 1400 people at the plant to be let go, and it seemed like nearly half the country was losing their jobs at the time. No jobs to be had, at least not for anywhere near what I needed to support a family. I went back to school for two years and made it work.

Found another lower-paying job for a couple years and made that work till that plant closed also. Now I have the best job I've ever had. We had to pick up and move but it was worth it. Perseverance really is the key to any measure of success in life, isn't it?

One of my pet peeves is folks who look down their noses at people who are out of work. The insinuation is that you are lazy if you don't have another job right away. In many cases that's true, but far from always.

Harter66
07-29-2014, 10:10 PM
For what its worth . This marks 25 weeks of work since 1/4/13.

multigunner76
07-29-2014, 10:42 PM
I went to the unemployment office this morning. Thank God I got a call for a job while I was there. So all is well. Better job with better pay and home more. Im happy !!

NavyVet1959
07-29-2014, 10:43 PM
As an engineer that works on a contract basis, any job I take will eventually end. It might last a couple of months, it might last a few years. You have no job security whatsoever. You can go to the client's site any day and are subject to being told that because of whatever reason, the project has been cancelled and you are "without a job". It's just the nature of the business. You don't get paid for time off for personal time, sick time, or vacations. You only get paid straight time for overtime. Basically, it's "you work, you get paid... you don't work, you don't get p". The main advantage as far as I'm concerned is that you don't have to play the yearly performance review games that the employees have to play. The client hires you for your expertise and once they are through using you, they toss you away -- it's nothing personal. These days, I'm kind of semi-retired. If a project comes along that I find interesting, I might do it. Otherwise, I just play the stocks. I've been moderately lucky with the stocks -- I've made around $88K so far this year on them.

JTeale
08-24-2014, 03:01 PM
I will disagree with you on that. When a company creates a position, it first decides how much it will pay overall for that employee. Then all expenses (social security, insurance, etc.) related to that employee are deducted from that sum, and what is left is offered as a salary. "Employer paid benefits" are a fiction. If the figures generated are not such that the company can see a profit and offer a salary that will fill the position, there is no point to it. (Unless it's a relative or son in law :mrgreen:)

waynem34
08-24-2014, 03:11 PM
Wow! NAVyVET59. Must be more than luck to make that kinda bread .Good job.

NavyVet1959
08-24-2014, 03:56 PM
Wow! NAVyVET59. Must be more than luck to make that kinda bread .Good job.

Well, I've beat the S&P 500 and DJIA on overall return rate for the last 11 years. I'm either lucky or just a better pick of stocks than the professional money managers. I'm more inclined to believe it is just luck though. I've managed a 12.6% return rate over the last 11 years. The NASDAQ doesn't go back that far and I only see it on my brokerage site up to 5 years at 18.45% whereas I've had 22.46% over the last 5 years. Just did a check of my brokerage account and I've managed $136K so far this year between taxable and tax-deferred (retirement account) investments. So, yeah, I consider myself pretty lucky.

jcwit
08-24-2014, 05:15 PM
Hate to disagree, but, as a business owner and electrical contractor, I can confirm employees do NOT pay into unemployment funds. That fee is paid solely by the business owner/employer

Nope, it's part of ones total compensation package.

ph4570
08-24-2014, 05:52 PM
NavyVet1959,
Good job with those investments.

I have done well the last few years. However I fear a significant correction is going to happen soon.

Handloader109
08-24-2014, 07:31 PM
Nope, it's part of ones total compensation package.
In almost every state, an employee pays zero into the unemployment fund. In MS, the employer pays a % of their total salary payments into the fund based upon the number of people who are drawing against them. Lay off a lot and your rate goes up.

Bad Water Bill
08-24-2014, 07:47 PM
Where I live I was not able to collect one single dime even tho my employers were paying into the fund for me.

Guess why?

And yes I did talk to the man in charge of the 1/2 of the state I live in.

jcwit
08-24-2014, 07:48 PM
In almost every state, an employee pays zero into the unemployment fund. In MS, the employer pays a % of their total salary payments into the fund based upon the number of people who are drawing against them. Lay off a lot and your rate goes up.

True, but it's still a part of the total expense of doing business and needs to be taken as such. And in the end is part of the employees total compensation, just as all the other perks.
Just as the portion of the employers SS tax paid in ends up as part of the employees compensation.

downzero
08-24-2014, 11:42 PM

Unemployment insurance is part of the cost of employing a worker. Who pays for it as a matter of accounting is irrelevant.