PDA

View Full Version : Pressure canner/yard sale find

mnkyracer
07-28-2014, 12:38 AM
Not as big as I'd like, but the price was right. It is missing the regulator and one hold down knob, but I can get those new for under $20. And the handle I can fix.
111888111889 Didn't think I could beat $5.

starmac
07-28-2014, 01:03 AM
It would be hard to beat a five dollar all american. Good score.

MaryB
07-28-2014, 02:01 AM
sweet score, those are the cadilac of pressure canners

Beagle333
07-28-2014, 02:57 AM
Those are really nice! That's the one I use. Be sure to put a thin film of vasoline around the bead before you tighten the clamps or it'll be a bear to get the lid off later.

mnkyracer
07-28-2014, 05:20 AM
Beagle - thanks for the tip. I can almost taste the jarred venison stew. LOL.

Now I just need to get out and finish testing the 30-30. Getting close, but not quite there yet.

wcp4570
07-28-2014, 09:24 AM
That is a great find. You can't beat All American canners. You can get parts from the All American web site. Beagle is correct about using vasoline on the lid. We have 3 All American canners and run them together when canning green beans. I get 35 quarts for one complete run using all 3 canners. We have canned all kinds of meats and vegetables with ours. You will be happy with your purchase.

wcp

Reg
07-28-2014, 11:53 AM
Not too sure around you but here we can take our pressure canner lid in and get the pressure gauge checked to see how accurate it really is. Over time the calcium in the water vapor will build up in the Bordon tube in the gauge and give inaccurate readings.
Our county extension service office provides this. Usually runs 5.00 or so. Cheap really. You must know the pressure as well as time. If in doubt or you cannot find where to get it checked you might while you are ordering parts to see about just getting a new gauge.

MaryB
07-28-2014, 10:49 PM
County extension office here will do it too. Didn't plant enough green beans to can this year, not even making green bean pickles with garlic and red pepper flakes. I have frozen 10 meals of beans tho, need them for soups! FoodSaver has been getting a workout.

mold maker
07-29-2014, 09:42 AM
Green bean pickles with garlic and red pepper flakes?????? Sounds good, can I have the recipe??

Lance Boyle
07-29-2014, 02:23 PM
Those are really nice! That's the one I use. Be sure to put a thin film of vasoline around the bead before you tighten the clamps or it'll be a bear to get the lid off later.

I didn't the first few times I used it. I really didn't have a problem but I lube it now. I'd hate for it to stick and gall.

MaryB
07-29-2014, 09:50 PM
I use the Dilly Beans recipe from the Ball Blue Book of Canning and add lots of garlic and pepper flakes

Green bean pickles with garlic and red pepper flakes?????? Sounds good, can I have the recipe??