PDA

View Full Version : NIB Lyman Big Dipper won't melt pure lead. Ideas?

ShinyPartsUp
07-27-2014, 07:54 PM
I bought a Lyman Big Dipper as a dedicated pot for pure lead ball casting. But even after hours, it barely melts the smallest hunk of pure lead, and forget my 5 lb. ingots. Any ideas why it won't get hot enough? It is a pretty simple machine. Anybody else experience this?

Thanks in advance.

Mk42gunner
07-27-2014, 08:08 PM
Bad adjustment on the thermostat/ rheostat?

I have zero experience with the Lyman Big Dipper pot; but if it is NIB as you say, I would take it back.

Robert

engineer401
07-27-2014, 09:59 PM
Bad adjustment on the thermostat/ rheostat?

I have zero experience with the Lyman Big Dipper pot; but if it is NIB as you say, I would take it back.

Robert

I agree. Send it back. I bought a Lee 20# Magnum Melter just for melting old fishing and wheel weights. If it breaks, the loss is small. It's been very reliable. I melted pure lead a few times with it. It took a while but it worked.

imashooter2
07-27-2014, 10:31 PM
Do a search. Not many folks are happy with their "Big Dipper." It's not a very good product.

zuke
07-28-2014, 07:06 AM
But it's a lyman, that make's it 100 time's better then LEE,doesn't it?

ShinyPartsUp
07-28-2014, 08:05 AM
Well, I did exactly what you should not do. **WARNING -- DO THIS AND ANY BAD OUTCOMES ARE YOUR OWN FAULT, NOT MINE**

I opened up the top plate (except the one stripped screw they installed at the factory :holysheep). The contacts that turn the thermostat on and off were too far apart and disconnecting (breaking the electrical connection) too often as a result. I played with it but never got the pot to get to enough temperature to melt lead consistently. So, I just pushed the contacts together with needle nose pliers. I used the electrical plug as a means to regulate temperature. It was not perfect, but I was able to melt the ingots and ladle enough pretty round balls in several sizes.

**DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK** But I figured in the day they would put pots over fire, so plugging and unplugging is kinda sorta like pulling it off or over a flame. I will replace the pot with a LEE pot for dipping. I already have a Lee PRO pot for mixed lead. I now have enough round balls in proper sizes (that sounds dirty) to have fun with my BP firesticks for a while.

Now I have to figure out why my Lyman dipper was a magnet for lead, even after getting it up to temperature -- thing was a glob of lead after a while and the pour spout clogged after just a few uses.

I have to say I love my LEE bottom pour pot, but this dipping thing is for the birds (So far).

ShinyPartsUp
07-28-2014, 08:09 AM
Do a search. Not many folks are happy with their "Big Dipper." It's not a very good product.

But, but, it's a Lyman! It must be good.

To be fair I own many Lyman products and quality is generally as good or sometimes better than other brands. But this pot is going to the dump. It is cheap enough to not be worth the hassle of shipping it back to the online store. And I would never trust it.

imashooter2
07-28-2014, 08:32 AM
But, but, it's a Lyman! It must be good.

To be fair I own many Lyman products and quality is generally as good or sometimes better than other brands. But this pot is going to the dump. It is cheap enough to not be worth the hassle of shipping it back to the online store. And I would never trust it.

I reworked the thermostat by bending the bimetal in order to increase "on" time and make mine work acceptably. I have used it this way for over a year. I have no idea why Lyman would set it to cycle off so much from the factory.

ShinyPartsUp
07-28-2014, 03:54 PM
I reworked the thermostat by bending the bimetal in order to increase "on" time and make mine work acceptably. I have used it this way for over a year. I have no idea why Lyman would set it to cycle off so much from the factory.

Basically I had to do the same thing. Poor quality control is my guess.

quicksilver
08-04-2014, 08:03 PM
If it was mine I would build a pid and use it to control the heat on the pot. Or you can send it to me and I will. Quick

Well, I did exactly what you should not do. **WARNING -- DO THIS AND ANY BAD OUTCOMES ARE YOUR OWN FAULT, NOT MINE**

I opened up the top plate (except the one stripped screw they installed at the factory :holysheep). The contacts that turn the thermostat on and off were too far apart and disconnecting (breaking the electrical connection) too often as a result. I played with it but never got the pot to get to enough temperature to melt lead consistently. So, I just pushed the contacts together with needle nose pliers. I used the electrical plug as a means to regulate temperature. It was not perfect, but I was able to melt the ingots and ladle enough pretty round balls in several sizes.

**DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK** But I figured in the day they would put pots over fire, so plugging and unplugging is kinda sorta like pulling it off or over a flame. I will replace the pot with a LEE pot for dipping. I already have a Lee PRO pot for mixed lead. I now have enough round balls in proper sizes (that sounds dirty) to have fun with my BP firesticks for a while.

Now I have to figure out why my Lyman dipper was a magnet for lead, even after getting it up to temperature -- thing was a glob of lead after a while and the pour spout clogged after just a few uses.

I have to say I love my LEE bottom pour pot, but this dipping thing is for the birds (So far).

imashooter2
08-04-2014, 08:23 PM
Building a PID for a $50 dipper pot is a solution I guess. Not the one I'd choose, but a solution none the less.

lwknight
08-10-2014, 12:13 PM
I would not trash the pot if it works when the contacts are closed. Why not just short wire the thermostat and add a PID ? You will end up with a superior piece of equipment.

C.F.Plinker
08-10-2014, 12:58 PM
Could you use a dimmer switch or a router speed control to regulate the amount of heat it puts out?

LongRangeAir
01-05-2015, 06:06 AM
First Post here, so Howdy from Central Texas!!!

Now, Use the KISS system for making that Lyman pot work!
Use two screw drivers and lift the heat control knob off it's mounting pin. You will see a tiny screw inside the shaft. Use a jewelers screwdriver to rotate it counter clock wise. (It won't take much). You may have to re- set it if it heats too far. Mine did at first as I went too far, and it would heat to 650 when on the OFF position. LOL!!!

Problem Fixed! Simply push the control knob back on. Now how difficult was that? gotta Love it!;):smile:

Mike

imashooter2
01-05-2015, 07:06 AM
Now that's a great tip! Welcome to the board Mike and thanks!

ShinyPartsUp
01-06-2015, 12:07 AM
Wish I knew that before I trashed the pot. But my Lee dipper pot NIB from a member here at 50% off eased the pain. I'm glad if someone in the future finds this thread useful. Thanks all.

Ken in Iowa
03-30-2015, 09:20 PM
I got tired of waiting for my ingots to melt on a cold start. An 1/8 of a turn to the adjustment screw made all the difference. Another 1/8 should make it match up to my Lee pot.

03-30-2015, 09:26 PM
Many of the bimetal contact point type thermostats have a course or range adjustment screw as LongRangeAir pointed out on this one... look carefully! ;)

dikman
04-01-2015, 04:21 AM
Best thing, imo, is to bypass the thermostat and use a PID. Yes, it might cost more than the pot for a PID, but once you have one (PID) you can use it for any other pot you may buy later.

gwpercle
04-01-2015, 04:26 PM
I can also vouch for the Lee Magnum Melter pot, got one a few weeks ago and if you're a dipper it's the cat's meow ! Set the knob at 7.50 and in no time we casting, when boolits start getting a bit frosty dial it back to 7.25 and it stays right there, just under frosty boolit temperature.
No problems with it or my old original 4 pound precision melter( it's still working) from the early 1970's.
Whoever said size doesn't matter has a small one! that 15 pound capacity pot rocks!
Gary

josper
04-05-2015, 03:47 PM
The Big Dipper pot is all I have ever used and have never had a problem with it.

mmb617
03-06-2022, 03:12 PM
First Post here, so Howdy from Central Texas!!!

Now, Use the KISS system for making that Lyman pot work!
Use two screw drivers and lift the heat control knob off it's mounting pin. You will see a tiny screw inside the shaft. Use a jewelers screwdriver to rotate it counter clock wise. (It won't take much). You may have to re- set it if it heats too far. Mine did at first as I went too far, and it would heat to 650 when on the OFF position. LOL!!!

Problem Fixed! Simply push the control knob back on. Now how difficult was that? gotta Love it!;):smile:

Mike

Yeah I know zombie thread but I wanted to thank the guy who posted this (7 years ago) as I was having the same problem and didn't know about that little adjustment screw. I was thinking I'd have to bend the contacts but this is obviously the correct way to adjust the temperature control knob.

Gotta love the internet. I'd have not found this out back in the pre-internet dark ages.

oley55
03-06-2022, 04:34 PM
Even more amazing that you were able find an old thread that answered your question. Often times my search efforts are less than satisfying.

mmb617
03-09-2022, 10:59 AM
Even more amazing that you were able find an old thread that answered your question. Often times my search efforts are less than satisfying.

The hard part is usually finding the proper search terms. I've often been frustrated because I didn't know the proper terminology of something I was searching for.

In this case I did a google search using "lyman big dipper thermostat" and this thread was the third result that popped up. I got lucky on that one.

brassrat
03-15-2022, 06:29 PM
I will chime in for mine. Can easily go to 1000' but a couple hash marks back and it works very well.

alamogunr
03-16-2022, 12:18 PM
I will chime in for mine. Can easily go to 1000' but a couple hash marks back and it works very well.

I've posted this several times but will do so again. There is a special ALT character for degrees. Just press and hold ALT plus 167.
Example: 1000º

Seems to me to be a natural for this forum. It also satisfies my compulsion to be exact

imashooter2
03-16-2022, 12:34 PM
I've posted this several times but will do so again. There is a special ALT character for degrees. Just press and hold ALT plus 167.
Example: 1000º

Seems to me to be a natural for this forum. It also satisfies my compulsion to be exact

And how would that work on my iPad?

alamogunr
03-16-2022, 03:51 PM
I have no idea! I still use a desk top computer.

Froogal
03-16-2022, 04:33 PM
I may have an even simpler solution. A Lyman 10 pound cast iron pot, an electric hotplate, and a dipper.

Mike W1
03-16-2022, 04:35 PM

There is a way with laptop but looks like a pain in the backside. Don't have a tablet so no help there.

rustyshooter
03-16-2022, 06:50 PM

iPad press and hold 0 and then you will be able to select the degree symbol. 0° or 88° easy peasy

imashooter2
03-16-2022, 08:34 PM
You’re the best!