PDA

View Full Version : Gun prices and reality or rather lack of reality!

1Shirt
07-27-2014, 11:28 AM
The prices of Milsurp rifles has hit in my opinion an all time record high based upon a number of factors. These include, I think supply and demand, fear of the government, buyer beware factors, etc. I sort of use the local Cabella's as a gage. A year ago, our local store was selling 91 Mosin Nagants for 99.00.
Yesterday I looked at a dozen that were priced at 199.00, and most were not in as good a shape as those sold a year previously. 3 years ago, I picked one up at a gun show for 89.00, after picking thru 20 or more of them for bbl condition. A real shocker came yesterday when I checked the used rifle rack and saw an M38 Mosin (pretty well beat up, and with an at best marginal bore priced at 348.00. I bought my M-38 about 4 years ago for about 85.00 in Colorado Springs, and the store had 5 or 6 of them (same price), and all in pretty decent condition. I wish I had bought a couple more of them. Mine is the one that I shoot the CBA Mil Carbine match with. There was an M44 Hungarian in the rack in decent but not special condition, for 450.00 or so. There were two long Swede 6.5x55's at over $600.00. It is obvious that they are selling at these prices, because they are turning them over. Am glad I bought my Milsurps awhile back. The last K31 Swiss I saw on the rack had a price tag of just under 400.00. Someplace down the road, I sort of expect some of what is being sold right now to hit the market again, but who knows what the prices will be then!
1Shirt!

Moondawg
07-27-2014, 11:36 AM
I have noticed the same trend, and it is sad. I would like a 6.5x55 Swede, but don't want to pay what they are bringing.

lylejb
07-27-2014, 03:11 PM
I agree. Some of it is just crazy.

Was at Cabella's in Springfield, OR yesterday and saw the same Mosin's for $199. I would be hard pressed to part with $99 for what I saw.

Years back, I remember gun shows with tables full of SKS's for $99. What are they going for now? Had I only known.......

Charley
07-27-2014, 04:33 PM
Well, for one thing, they are not being dumped on the market by former Eastern Bloc countries desperate for cash any more. Inflation has had a hand as well.

JonB_in_Glencoe
07-27-2014, 04:35 PM
I caught the Mil surp bug during the Clinton era.
about halfway through Bush 43's visit in the White House, I sold 17 of those Milsurps on a auction for about double, the price...I was tickled then...Now, of course, I'm kicking myself in the butt. The two I miss the most is a Last ditch Jap and a 30-40 Krag Calvary Carbine...oh and a couple US made Mosin Nagants (for the Czar, a Remington and a Westinghouse).

hornady308
07-27-2014, 04:40 PM
You may be right, but Cabella's is about the last place I'd look for a price check. Their prices on used guns are so high that I no longer bother to check with them. Gunbroker is the gage I use, but only for items that actually sell.

dale2242
07-27-2014, 06:40 PM
You youngsters.
I remember back in the 50s and 60s when you could buy 1911s and M1 Carbines for $50 each.....dale

rollmyown
07-27-2014, 06:52 PM
The way your prices are going, in a couple of years you'll be paying Australian type money!

At least prices here are mostly stable on most things except ammo, (especially 22LR, which is connected to your shortage).

Petrol & Powder
07-27-2014, 08:48 PM
I recall being a gun show in the early 90's (pre 1994 crime bill) and seeing wooden cases of SKS rifles for sale. The rifles where caked in cosmoline or whatever grease the Asian manufacturers used. The asking price for the wooden case of 10 rifles and all of the related stuff (slings, cleaning kits, etc. ) was $890.00. I've often wondered what that seller's cost was. The normal asking price for an Chinese SKS in those days was generally less than $100 each. I didn't have $890.00 to spare and I didn't really want 1 SKS, never mind 10 of them but looking back at that now I think I could have made a small fortune off of one case.
Anyway, the flood of decent Mauser's, Enfields and the like from years past seems to have receded. There are still some good individual rifles to be had but it's tough to find a good deal on one now.

At that same show there was a documented International Harvester M1 Garand that the seller claimed had never been issued. I don't recall the pedigree or how it ended up in the commercial market but it was beautiful. It was considerably more money than 10 SKS's but it held my interest far more than any SKS.

Boyscout
07-27-2014, 08:55 PM
Gander Mountain: $189.00 for a Mosin-Nagant. I paid $89.00.

GhostHawk
07-27-2014, 09:03 PM
I paid just over 400 for my Yugo SKS in good condition with transfer fee's and shipping, and was glad to get it at that price. Wish I'd bought 2.

country gent
07-27-2014, 09:26 PM
I can remeber M1 garands for around $200.00 all day long at the dcm cmp store you had to be an affiliated club member and have fired 120 rds in dcm competitions but that was the going rate there. They are now well over that for a rack grade and a good clean one is alot more.

unclebill
07-27-2014, 09:43 PM
7 or 8 years ago i bought two unfired yugo sks's for $150 each
mosins cost 50 bucks
99 for an enfield

RogerDat
07-27-2014, 10:28 PM
Bought a couple of different Enfields at less than $90 for one packed in cosmoline. Less than $100 for a sporterized model from a pawn shop. Thing is this was at least 15 years back maybe more. Have seen them higher then lower then higher a few times over the years.

I think the current prices are not sustainable unless the demand remains high. At some point people who bought out of panic and speculation will return some of those to the market which may bring the prices down. Any decent "piece of history" rifle is probably worth $200 to folks.

JonB_in_Glencoe
07-27-2014, 10:31 PM
Fleetfarm has mosin nagant's for $119 this week
http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/century-arms-mosin-nagant-91-30/0000000066925

kopperl
07-27-2014, 10:43 PM
Any one remember the garbage cans full of Mexican Rolling Blocks and 92 Winchesters in the late 50's/ Every hardware store in South Texas seem to have them. NRA was selling 1911's for 25.00.'Course I was earning 189.00 a month as a buck sergeant on recruiting duty.

Four-Sixty
07-27-2014, 11:12 PM
I'd say the falling price of AR type rifles ought to be a better barometer. I expect gun prices to go down. Ruger, and others, are cranking out firearms cheaper, with better quality, and easier to maintain. A lot of older folks holding large collections will pass on, and you heard it here first, a lot of "scarce" or "rare" rifles won't be so scare any more. Want an example? Look at the coin market. Over the past 20 years the grading companies have taken the mystery out of the exact numbers of coins out there, and really shown some coins, once thought to be rare, are really common. Combine that with "hoards", "accumulations", and stockpiles, and there really is more guns out there than can be consumed. (What percent of guns get used up?) I work with two guys right now who are liquidating their hoards for family reasons. This economy gets much softer, and prices will fall more. Guns will be getting cheaper. Disclaimer: my argument ignores gun grabbers and bad governments.

Petrol & Powder
07-27-2014, 11:24 PM
I'd say the falling price of AR type rifles ought to be a better barometer. I expect gun prices to go down. Ruger, and others, are cranking out firearms cheaper, with better quality, and easier to maintain. A lot of older folks holding large collections will pass on, and you heard it here first, a lot of "scarce" or "rare" rifles won't be so scare any more. Want an example? Look at the coin market. Over the past 20 years the grading companies have taken the mystery out of the exact numbers of coins out there, and really shown some coins, once thought to be rare, are really common. Combine that with "hoards", "accumulations", and stockpiles, and there really is more guns out there than can be consumed. (What percent of guns get used up?) I work with two guys right now who are liquidating their hoards for family reasons. This economy gets much softer, and prices will fall more. Guns will be getting cheaper. Disclaimer: my argument ignores gun grabbers and bad governments.
/\ totally agree. barring some sort of gun grab scare or excessive regulation, the prices will fall. The days of really good military bolt actions for less than $200 are probably over but those inflated priced guns will come out of collections and sell for less money than new guns. The numbers just are not there.

Piedmont
07-28-2014, 12:15 AM
I don't know about milsurp prices dropping because collectors die. There are always younger guys getting into the hobby. I've been following the milsurp market since 1993 and as soon as importation of a specific gun stops or the foreign guns dry up (none left in Katmandu) the prices start to rise and just keep going up gradually.

I guess a depression could change that but economic times have been pretty poor in the USA since 2008 and the prices are still high.

They aren't making any more of the milsurps. (Probably no one will be able to buy standard issue of today. The rifles have a full auto switch and most western governments will likely destroy the hand guns because guns are bad.) The price of a new Ruger doesn't affect the price of genuine war rifle or pistol.

TXGunNut
07-28-2014, 12:38 AM
I'll say that Cabela's is a great place to buy a gun but can also assure you that every gun @ Cabela's is not a great buy. I saw some very interesting milsurps at my local Cabela's today but have no idea what a reasonable price would be. Seemed like a lot of gun for the money, though.
As Piedmont pointed out today's milspec will not become tomorrow's milsurp. The used gun racks are stocked with picked-over milsurps and rifles purchased from estates, today more than ever it pays to be an educated consumer.

Bad Water Bill
07-28-2014, 02:23 AM
My 1911 cost $55.00,the Browning H P was $65.00 and the list could go on for a while.

Yes I COULD sell them and make money compared to what I payed many years ago.

If I figured in what the same money invested properly would be worth I probably have lost money.

Now if I had to put a price on the enjoyment I have had over the last 50 or so years casting,reloading and shooting not many would believe me.

fatelk
07-28-2014, 02:40 AM
I remember a lot of neat old guns I should have bought in the last 20 or 25 years since I've been watching. I wish I wouldn't have sold that Hakim for $150, or passed up the $70 Swede Mausers.

On the other hand, I've made other financial mistakes in those years that cost a lot more that missing out on a few hundred dollars of value on an old rifle. In fact, gun prices are completely negligible by comparison. Actually I think they aren't even that good of an investment in general. If I could get in a time machine and go back and buy something, it probably wouldn't be guns; I'm thinking certain stocks (and not of the wooden variety). :)

Then again, back in the day when I was young and stupid (more so than now), while some of my friends and most guys my age were investing their money in alcohol, electronics, fast cars and faster women, I was spending my hard earned pennies on old guns. While maybe not the best investment financially, my purchases have certainly outlasted theirs.

bob208
07-28-2014, 09:12 AM
all mil-surps go that way. I bought krags full military for $150. now what do they bring? 03's I used to trade a new 10-22 for one. now look at the price. as was said the sweed mausers I stopped buying them when they hit $130. british enfields were under $100 for a long time and those were all matching.

my biggest mistake was back in the early 90's when all the mausers were coming in. my friend had his ffl. I would get one of each. the mistake was not buying them at the 3 or 5 for price.

I feel the Russian rifles are the last of the cheap military rifles we will see. after them everything is a select fire.

Deliverator
07-28-2014, 10:09 AM
Prices will come back down when we get someone in the white house who isn't afraid of arming his citizens with old military style weapons. There has been a severe tightening of the regulations around importing "military" firearms of any kind. Once those restrictions are lifted we will see prices come down a bit.

1Shirt
07-28-2014, 10:12 AM
What I really remember was the back covers of the American Rifleman, selling mail order Milsurps. But then again I am old!!!!
1Shirt!

doc1876
07-28-2014, 01:14 PM
I was at a gun show around 1974, and there was this guy buying every Colt single action in the place for 150-250. I was annoyed by his ability,but I took note at eh price increases just a few years later. Since that time, each time I have bought something similar, they have almost doubled in price with in a year. I too wish I had seen this black plastic rifle phenomena coming, I would have mortgaged the house. he only thing I have not lost money on was a firearm, cars and the other things are a whole nother story.

jcwit
07-28-2014, 01:54 PM
Doc, you need to buy Corvetts.

bob208
07-28-2014, 02:21 PM
I paid $2400 for my 66 corvette in 1977. had to get a loan to get it. about 2 months in it started going up in price better then the interest rate. still have it.

dbosman
07-28-2014, 03:21 PM
At my LGS every cartridge rifle has a tag at $399 or higher, including used .22s.
M1 carbines were $10 each in pallet loads, for municipalities in the mid sixties and sold for $20 to their employees. My cousin, the dog catcher, got two. That he wouldn't part with.

destrux
07-28-2014, 03:57 PM
Cabela's and Gander Mtn. are two of the most expensive places to buy used guns anymore. They're not bad on some new guns and I shop there for other stuff to avoid shipping and hazmat fees sometimes, but the diamonds in the rough are pretty rare anymore. I remember I found a like new SKS-M there for $175 back in 2005(or so). Last time I bought a rifle there it was an Romanian SKS in good condition for $450, and I only paid that because I reallllly wanted a Romanian SKS.

I did see an HK 4 pistol there for $300 though just a few months ago, and it still had all three of the original caliber conversion barrels and magazines.

For good deals, especially on used guns, I still prefer my local gun shops.

FISH4BUGS
07-28-2014, 03:58 PM
You think THAT'S a rise in prices? Try machine guns.
Bought Colt M16 for $700 in 1984
Sold: $16,000
Bought S&W 76 for $1000
Sold for $6,000
MAC9mm bought for $400 sold for $4000
Uzi bought for $1000 is now a $10,000 gun.
I can't afford this hobby any more.

doc1876
07-29-2014, 12:14 AM
jcwit, in 1986 I tried all over to buy a 1969 Dodge Daytona, could not find any. was willing to go out on a limb to $5000, but the people I was hooked up with could not or would not help me. Now the things are around 150k-500k!!

I never did like plastic cars, however I would like to drive one just once. I think the car could not handle me, but I sure would have a good time!!

jcwit
07-29-2014, 12:23 AM
Bought a new Corvette in 1972, paid cash, kept track of every penny I put into it, gas, oil, insurance, plates, etc., etc. Sold it approx. 10 years later, never cost me a penny to own that Vette, only car I ever owned that was free.

Mumblypeg
07-29-2014, 12:39 AM
I spent most of my money on women and guns..... the rest I just threw away.....

hanleyfan
07-29-2014, 04:14 PM
all the local gun for sale sites have all kinds of Assault type rifles and semi-auto pistols for sale, in fact that is what most that are for sale is, the problem is they are all wanting to get what they paid for them back during the gun scare and I don't think that is going to happen.

alamogunr
07-29-2014, 07:24 PM
I've got an even dozen milsurps, only one of which cost less than $100. That one is an 1895 Nagant revolver. I bought it because it was so ugly and had that unusual jitterbug cylinder. I've never shot it and probably never will. The highest price I've paid is just under $1000 incl. shipping. A Garand.

I wish I could get a few more but at the price, what is available, is not worth it to me. I can be happy for the rest of my life shooting the ones I now have.

Also, I remember the 50's and 60's when some milsurps went for $12.95. Then it was more than I could afford and stay in school. One summer while in college and working a summer job, I found a Remington-Rand 1911. It had been reblued and shot pretty good I thought considering my lack of skill. I couldn't afford ammo and sold it for $60(a profit).

doc1876
07-29-2014, 09:26 PM
I think we can agree, if we don't personally have an investment in it, progress sucks big time

SawmillJack
07-29-2014, 10:41 PM
I recall being a gun show in the early 90's (pre 1994 crime bill) and seeing wooden cases of SKS rifles for sale. The rifles where caked in cosmoline or whatever grease the Asian manufacturers used. The asking price for the wooden case of 10 rifles and all of the related stuff (slings, cleaning kits, etc. ) was $890.00. I've often wondered what that seller's cost was. The normal asking price for an Chinese SKS in those days was generally less than $100 each. I didn't have $890.00 to spare and I didn't really want 1 SKS, never mind 10 of them but looking back at that now I think I could have made a small fortune off of one case.
Anyway, the flood of decent Mauser's, Enfields and the like from years past seems to have receded. There are still some good individual rifles to be had but it's tough to find a good deal on one now.

Back at that time I remember 91/30s selling for $29 and carbines were $39.

crazy mark
07-30-2014, 12:33 AM
I agree. Some of it is just crazy.

Was at Cabella's in Springfield, OR yesterday and saw the same Mosin's for $199. I would be hard pressed to part with $99 for what I saw.

Years back, I remember gun shows with tables full of SKS's for $99. What are they going for now? Had I only known.......

I was there yesterday afternoon. Terrible prices on some bubba guns. They had a Swiss rechamered to 308 that was way over pricece and the model was mismarked also. Didn't say it was a K31. I think it said 1911/31.

Elkins45
07-30-2014, 10:42 PM
I started going to gun shows in the early 90's. I remember having your choice from tables full of Garands for $300. $300 was a lot of money to me back then, so I only bought one. Lucky for me it was a CMP purchase and not a reimport, so no "blue sky" mark.

if I knew then what I know now I would have mortgaged my house and bought a truckload of them.

Wis. Tom
07-31-2014, 10:15 AM
I have two Winchester Model 43's, in a 218 bee. I would suppose that I couldn't buy them now, for what was paid years ago. I have never really looked up selling prices, as I never plan to sell them.

Ed Barrett
07-31-2014, 10:54 AM
I guess I'm just too old. I remember buying 22's for 16 cents for a box of 50, and I never had enough to buy two boxes. I bought a P38 at a hardware store for $50.00 I didn't have the money for a Luger for $100, they had a barrel of them. Looking at prices today I'm just glad I have a safe full of my good purchases.