PDA

View Full Version : What mold for a S&W 4516-1 ? On the cheap

Outer Rondacker
07-27-2014, 09:26 AM
Hi guys. Been a while since I have posted. Work had me all out and well it almost killed me. Hurt my back and had to sit around for a few weeks made me start thinking life is short. I should play more. So I picked up a nice little smith in 45 acp (4516 - 1). I was wondering if any other guys on here cast for this gun and what it likes to snack on. I would love to hear what you guys put down the pipe on yours and how well it eats them up. I have been looking into the lee molds to keep mold cost cheap since it looks like I will be looking for a new line of work shortly.

I should add that I have been casting for a few years and was hoping to find what works for this gun from other owners. Thanks in advance as always you are a great group to learn from.

harley45
07-27-2014, 01:09 PM
That was my first issued duty gun and I liked it so much that when we upgraded to Sigs I kept mine. I have the Lee 200gr SWC with the traditional lube grooves in a six cavity that I just love for all my 45s including this one!

rintinglen
07-27-2014, 04:31 PM
Either of the Lee 200 grain boolits should work just fine, either the one referred to above, or the TL version. If money is really tight, I'd go with the Tumble Lube version, but given that a Lee Sizer set is less than 20 bucks from Midsouth or Midway, and it comes with a bottle of lube--if you have 40 bucks plus shipping, and a way to melt lead--congrats, you're a boolit caster.

Elkins45
07-27-2014, 04:38 PM
Lee 200 grain tumble lube. This is my default bullet in all 45 loads, and I haven't found a gun yet that doesn't like it.

Outer Rondacker
07-27-2014, 06:40 PM
Thanks guys just picked up a six banger from lee in the 200g RF. I have a lyman lube-sizer I will grab a die for. Money is not that tight. I have yet to pick up the gun and since I live in NY I have to wait a week before I can pick it up after I get it on my permit. So time to kill looking into a good load for plinking. This gun will be used much like a 22 plinker since 22s are so dang hard to get I will shoot 45 acp. Cans jugs and steel look out. Thanks for the help guys. Feel free to share your go to powder and charge for this gun as well.