PDA

View Full Version : A Question About Safety

VTDW
01-24-2008, 12:15 PM
I decided to try out Cream of Wheat to get rid of leading in one of my Marlins. I pulled out 6 brass, loaded a small dipper (maybe 1/4 of normal load) with powder, used dacron to fill the space and then used a small dipper of Cream of Wheat and seated the boolits.

Should that work or will the dacron act as a void in the brass and cause me problems.

As always, thanks ahead of time for your replies. I wanna come back from the range with fingers and eyes in tact on Saturday. :-D

Dave

Bass Ackward
01-24-2008, 12:36 PM
Dave,

Safety? Or are you referring to chamber ringing?

If the COW is heavy enough to compress the dacron when the shells are handled so that the cream of wheat will act as a secondary projectile, then you run a chance of ringing.

If you want to know about safety, you need to mention more information like powder speed, charge, and bullet weight.

Larry Gibson
01-24-2008, 12:39 PM
Agree with Bass, I wouldn't shoot those.

Larry Gibson

bradh
01-24-2008, 01:08 PM
VTDM ---- just COW and not both; that would be inviting big troubles!!

BABore
01-24-2008, 01:27 PM
A brush and some copper "Chore Boy" is a cheaper/safer method of removing leading.

Got to work on the root cause. Is the leading as constant problem with this gun, or was it just a one-time thing?

racepres
01-24-2008, 01:42 PM
I would Not do that way! Also 1/4 of a charge is probably not the method! Depends on the powder.. but that would cause me to "tear 'em apart" and choose a normal charge, [by the book, but use the starting charge for that Projectile] and pick a filler! $0.02.. MV

GrizzLeeBear
01-24-2008, 02:43 PM
A brush and some copper "Chore Boy" is a cheaper/safer method of removing leading.

What BABore said! Go buy a bronze brush of proper caliber (anywhere that sells gun cleaning supplies) and a "Chore Boy" copper cleaning pad (any grocery store) today. Tonight wrap a piece of Chore Boy around the brush and scrub the barrel out. You may have to put a new piece of pad on couple times but it doesn't take very long to get most of the lead out. Now you don't have to waste your saturday at the range with your, um, "questionable" method of lead removal and can use it for some real shooting.

VTDW
01-24-2008, 03:19 PM
Thanks for all the replies. You know that still, small voice that sometimes whispers in our ears? I try really hard to hear it and did this time. I am the curious type and will pull those boolits and redo. There was a COW thread here a week or two back and I'll also read that again. I do not have leading problems but just want to see if the COW really does work. "Curiosity killed the cat" is the saying.[smilie=1:

Thanks again for your expecially good advice!!!

Dave

jonk
01-24-2008, 03:51 PM
What caliber?

I distrust any non flowing filler, be it COW or Dacron or whatever in bottleneck cases, but am fine with it in straight ones. For bottlenecks the ONLY filler I trust is Pufflon.

VTDW
01-24-2008, 04:06 PM
This will be from the Marlin Express .308.

hydraulic
01-24-2008, 10:47 PM
We hear of barrel ringing from using fillers of various kinds--pros and cons--some say they do and other that they don't. Does anyone recall an instance when there a barrel rung when NOT using fillers?