PDA

View Full Version : I have asked many LEO's

500MAG
07-26-2014, 07:54 AM
Funny thing, I have several LEO's in my family and come across many at work. I have asked dozens their opinion on gun control. I have not had one tell me they are in favor of gun control measures and pretty much all of them said they support the 2nd Amendment. Now, these are the guys that have to go up against the loons and bad guys. Should tell you something.

Ramar
07-26-2014, 07:58 AM
I've had the same experience but mostly with sheriff departments and not with the city police. Not a scientific study!
Ramar

Freightman
07-26-2014, 08:50 AM
Have several friends on the local police department, most are like me "gathers" and all said we will need help if it ever get out of hand.

Thumbcocker
07-26-2014, 09:41 AM
opinions can change once you get above the street cop level and get into the administrator/politician level of larger departments.

BrassMagnet
07-26-2014, 10:22 AM
The problem always comes when an unconstitutional order is given and you have to decide if you will go along with it.
Sometimes feeding the family causes major conflicts with your code of honor.

2wheelDuke
07-26-2014, 10:53 AM
I don't think your sample size is large enough. Anti-gun cops are certainly out there. What was the background of the LEOs you spoke to? From my experiences, the ones that started at NYPD are typical very anti-gun. I only know of one NY transplant that didn't bring the "civilian with gun = criminal" mentality with them. I'd imagine cops from any of the Northeastern liberal states may carry the same bias. I've also found that female cops are far more likely to be anti-gun. And the anti-gun cops are usually pretty inept with their duty weapons.

I remember one sergeant that's an NY transplant remarking about how insane it was that he was in the local police supply store, and when a customer asked to see a gun, it was shown to him like it was a nice watch. This guy seemed to think that there should've been some sort of interrogation and the guy's ID being taken before he could handle a gun at the counter.

The anti-gun LEOs seem to have the least knowledge of firearms laws as well, which can be a scary prospect. I just about had it out on a scene with the above mentioned sergeant. It was a roomate dispute, and contact was made with the person in question in the hallway of her apartment. She was transporting her legally owned pistol from her car to secure it in her home, and the sergeant thought she should be arrested for CCW.

There's others I know that I don't think are necessarily anti-gun, but I think they'd just blindly follow any orders.

TXGunNut
07-26-2014, 11:16 AM
Attitudes vary indeed. Smaller departments in areas with less population density recognize the value of armed citizens. Big city cops often have the "us vs them" mentality and they can have dozens of backup officers within minutes. Top-level cops answer to politicians, 'nuff said.

mjwcaster
07-26-2014, 11:28 AM
While most that I run into are pro 2nd down by me, and many that I talked to in chicago were also, definitely not all were.

How about a cop that is afraid of guns, including the one he carries.
Ran into one in a bar one night after a ball game (I worked at the stadium and drank with a lot of the cops who worked security for the games).

We were tipping one back and got to talking about guns and he said that he was afraid of guns, even his own. He wouldn't have carried one if the department didn't make him. I thought he was joking until I looked over and saw he was serious.

Someone chose the wrong profession. And was foolish enough to admit it.
Never saw him again, not someone I wanted to hang out with.

Knew many that would not have ever practiced with their guns if the department didn't make them.

Down here I have run into some LEO's who are more rabidly Pro-2nd than I am. I never even thought that was possible. We have the same views, but they are much more in your face about them.

But the majority of the street cops I know/have talked to are pro 2nd, or at least not anti gun.

Most street cops that have seen the bad side of humanity that I have dealt with all agree that they would rather come on the scene to a dead bad guy than another dead/raped/assaulted good guy.

Been a big question for a lot of people here in IL the last year since we just got concealed carry.
Matt

montana_charlie
07-26-2014, 12:28 PM
Attitudes vary indeed.
Top-level cops answer to politicians, 'nuff said.
http://www.wnd.com/2014/07/bostons-top-cop-no-need-for-a-rifle-or-shotgun/?cat_orig=us

HeavyMetal
07-26-2014, 01:12 PM
I had an interesting conversation with a reloading only store owner, who is now out of state, He had gone to great lengths to make sure his store front was way above any and all legal requirements for the City of Los Angeles.

Yet he was still "badgered" by the police dept with very bogus cites and violations. Each one he won but at considerable cash outlay but they never stopped coming!

A long time customer of his was an LEO with one of the local cities, not Los Angeles, and he offered a refference letter on dept. letter head to use as "evidence" for future legal action.

This LEO was completely "Befuddled" when his dept head threatened him with suspension for asking for dept letter head and requesting him to write and sign it! He was also informed he could be fired with all benefit's and retirements lost if he continued to show any support for this store owner!

This LEO had over 20 years on the job and admitted he had no choice but to obey his superiors command!

This LEO's heart was in the right place but in the end putting bread and butter on the table brought reality, brutally, into focus for him!

In case anyone wonders about this story please be aware I was standing at the counter when this LEO explained to his store owner /friend that he couldn't help for fear of reprisals from his dept superiors.

Shortly therafter the owner announced he was not renewing his lease as he could not continue to fight city hall. He had a fire sale and emptied his store and moved out of state, where I do not remember. The City of Los Angeles "WON" against this pefectly legal store owner by simply draining his bank account until he could no longer afford the fight.

When I asked if he'd contacted the NRA he said he'd called and got no offer of any support, of that I am not sure but that was his claim.

This was 2004 or 2005 as I recall maybe earlier.

I do appreciate the 2nd Amendment support shown by most LEO's but what they can do, and say, is very limited and can be curtialed at a moments notice by the officers dept heads.

seaboltm
07-26-2014, 02:28 PM
Yep, attitudes vary, especially with geography. In Texas, MOST LEO are probably pro-second amendment. But not all. Get to Chicago, I would bet things would change. I too know LEO's who would take their duty belt off and leave it in the garage. Their wive's refused to allow guns in the house. Dirt, rust, etc would set in on the gun, and in some cases the firearm was never routinely cleaned.

Bonz
07-26-2014, 02:37 PM
I have 2 family members, 1 Active, 1 Retired, from the Chicago Police dept. Both of them feel that 'law abiding citizens' should have the right to carry concealed hand guns. They also believe, along with other Chicago Police officers that if more 'law abiding citizens' carried concealed handguns, the gun violence would be reduced. But both of them feel that no one should open carry any type of handgun or rifle. If they see someone open carrying, they can not tell if they are law abiding citizens or criminals. I have to agree with them on open carry.

1Shirt
07-26-2014, 02:44 PM
The more liberal the location the more likely that LEO's will be influenced by the politics of the location, and the need to put food on the table, and to restrain their true emotions. It is pitiful!
1Shirt!

WILCO
07-26-2014, 03:26 PM
Sometimes feeding the family causes major conflicts with your code of honor.

Yep. Forced blood draw comes to mind.......

BrassMagnet
07-26-2014, 03:40 PM
I had an interesting conversation with a reloading only store owner, who is now out of state, He had gone to great lengths to make sure his store front was way above any and all legal requirements for the City of Los Angeles.

Yet he was still "badgered" by the police dept with very bogus cites and violations. Each one he won but at considerable cash outlay but they never stopped coming!

A long time customer of his was an LEO with one of the local cities, not Los Angeles, and he offered a refference letter on dept. letter head to use as "evidence" for future legal action.

This LEO was completely "Befuddled" when his dept head threatened him with suspension for asking for dept letter head and requesting him to write and sign it! He was also informed he could be fired with all benefit's and retirements lost if he continued to show any support for this store owner!

This LEO had over 20 years on the job and admitted he had no choice but to obey his superiors command!

This LEO's heart was in the right place but in the end putting bread and butter on the table brought reality, brutally, into focus for him!

In case anyone wonders about this story please be aware I was standing at the counter when this LEO explained to his store owner /friend that he couldn't help for fear of reprisals from his dept superiors.

Shortly therafter the owner announced he was not renewing his lease as he could not continue to fight city hall. He had a fire sale and emptied his store and moved out of state, where I do not remember. The City of Los Angeles "WON" against this pefectly legal store owner by simply draining his bank account until he could no longer afford the fight.

When I asked if he'd contacted the NRA he said he'd called and got no offer of any support, of that I am not sure but that was his claim.

This was 2004 or 2005 as I recall maybe earlier.

I do appreciate the 2nd Amendment support shown by most LEO's but what they can do, and say, is very limited and can be curtialed at a moments notice by the officers dept heads.

LAPD also had a habit of raiding gun collectors and seizing their guns. A number of LAPD sergeants ran a booth at gun shows selling parts. The parts were taken from seized gun collections and then the frames/receivers were destroyed. If you bought enough parts at the LAPD sergeants booth you got raided and your guns seized.
When a court ordered the guns returned to the lawful owner the LAPD claimed they couldn't because they had already been destroyed.
A LAPD officer complained to Public Affairs. He found out they were investigating him rather than the sergeants. He complained to the FBI. The FBI investigated and found the sergeants guilty of participating in a continuing criminal enterprise and turned their information over to the DA for prosecution. The DA refused to prosecute. He was anti gun as were the chief of police and the mayor.

BrassMagnet
07-26-2014, 03:45 PM
I have 2 family members, 1 Active, 1 Retired, from the Chicago Police dept. Both of them feel that 'law abiding citizens' should have the right to carry concealed hand guns. They also believe, along with other Chicago Police officers that if more 'law abiding citizens' carried concealed handguns, the gun violence would be reduced. But both of them feel that no one should open carry any type of handgun or rifle. If they see someone open carrying, they can not tell if they are law abiding citizens or criminals. I have to agree with them on open carry.

I disagree with open carry, but only for tactical reasons. When a crazy wants to carry out a massacre, he will kill those likely to resist first and then the mere victims. Open carry gets you to the top of the list. In some places, just being a man will get you to the top of the list. My little sister is more likely to stop one of these events than I am because she will not be viewed as likely to fight back until she pulls the trigger.

seaboltm
07-26-2014, 07:27 PM
I disagree with open carry, but only for tactical reasons. When a crazy wants to carry out a massacre, he will kill those likely to resist first and then the mere victims. Open carry gets you to the top of the list. In some places, just being a man will get you to the top of the list. My little sister is more likely to stop one of these events than I am because she will not be viewed as likely to fight back until she pulls the trigger.

As LEO in Texas I can open carry off duty any time I want. But I have to agree with BrassMagnet, tactically, it is a mistake, and I seldom open carry. As far as liberal views of northern cops, those views are there. I know a transplant from NY who wanted to arrest a principal in Texas for paddling a student (with parent permission even) at school. Had to explain to the young man that in Texas whopping kids on the backside is legal (for now).

Bad Water Bill
07-26-2014, 08:11 PM
No I will not give any names BUT just how high up do I have to go in the Chiraq police before I find one that hates citizens carrying?

Some would not answer till retired and now safe to answer but from the worst neighborhoods to someone in a very high positions bodyguards none were afraid of us owning or carrying.

The politicians that WE ELECT to look out for our interests are the real problem.

bear67
07-26-2014, 08:37 PM
I took some statistics a thousand years back, but am not a mathmajition or a statistactian or play one on TV. But I think we skeew (SP) the results by associating with folks that think like real folks or like ourselves. My partner in the livestock business for years was a Texas Ranger, my friends were and are game wardens, DPS officers or sheriffs and others with common descriptions. My son and many of his friends wear badges. Heck I shoot with FBI agents, SWAT officers, gun shop owners, BATF agents, deputy sheriffs, and their compadres. If I ask these guys, they are definitely pro second amendment, pro gun and think not enough people own guns--especially think they personally should own guns. Heck, even our local High Sheriff, a retired BATF agent, thinks more citizens should carry a gun and help with the local crime rate..

I am sure that there are Texas Law Enforcement Persons who are not supporters, but they are not in the majority for sure. There is a local female type BATF agent that the area gun shop owners hate, they even hate her shadow as it comes close or leaves their shops. I do not ask her opinions as I also do not invite her to the range to shoot with us. I am sure that if I did I would no longer be welcome--even to my home range. I personally don't know any anti gun LEOs, but I am sure they are out there somewhere. I don't plan on going to LA, NY, or Chicago to poll those guys. I suppose ignorance is bliss and I feel better when I am "blissed."

seaboltm
07-26-2014, 08:49 PM
But I think we skeew (SP) the results by associating with folks that think like real folks or like ourselves. "

That effect is a form of solipsism, and you are right, it "skews" our perception.

MaryB
07-26-2014, 09:41 PM
I lve in a town of 280, we have 1 cop and he thinks he is in charge of who can own a gun. He delayed my permit to purchase on my yearly renewal for 6 months past the state statutes and the county attorney refused to charge him. Local sheriff on the other hand os very pro gun and signed the list of sheriffs who will not enforce any federal gun bans.

Catshooter
07-27-2014, 02:12 AM
pretty much all of them said they support the 2nd Amendment.

Careful with that line. Obama, Hitlery, all those swine say they too support the 2nd Amendment. But their definition of "support" and "2A" differs somewhat with mine and many here.

Cat

abunaitoo
07-27-2014, 04:03 AM
In Hawaii, majority of the cops are anti-gun. Most of them have a "GOD" complex.
Majority of the politicians would like nothing better than to ban all firearms, except for LEO and those with special needs.
This state is listed as a "may issue" CCW. It's up to the head cop.
As far as I know, only one CCW has ever been issued.
Heard it was a friend of the Governor. Someone with lots of connections/money.
Being election season, almost all the "rats" are coming out with anti-gun support.
Voters here are not to smart. They vote the same "rats" in time after time.
All of the "rats" say they support "obummers" programs in their adds.
"Stupid is, as stupid does"

Bad Water Bill
07-27-2014, 04:22 AM
In Hawaii, majority of the cops are anti-gun. Most of them have a "GOD" complex.
Majority of the politicians would like nothing better than to ban all firearms, except for LEO and those with special needs.
This state is listed as a "may issue" CCW. It's up to the head cop.
As far as I know, only one CCW has ever been issued.
Heard it was a friend of the Governor. Someone with lots of connections/money.
Being election season, almost all the "rats" are coming out with anti-gun support.
Voters here are not to smart. They vote the same "rats" in time after time.
All of the "rats" say they support "obummers" programs in their adds.
"Stupid is, as stupid does"

Never give up the fight.

If we could get CCW "SHALL ISSUE" here in Illinois you can do it also.

BrassMagnet
07-27-2014, 06:57 AM
The LA chief of police only issued one CCW. To a Felon. It didn't look good in court, but what good are the courts in CA?

Geraldo
07-27-2014, 07:45 AM
I think that most of the LEO I worked with came into the job with their attitude about guns already established, and that a department mirrors the population it serves. I worked in a Midwestern city where guns were common and there wasn't a big anti-gun culture. Most of the cops I knew didn't care one way or another what law abiding citizens owned. A few were serious gun guys, and a few were probably anti-gun although not vocal about it.

Patrol is really about answering the 911 calls you're given, which on afternoon and night shifts was all you had time for. On the investigative side you could say that it was mostly about violence (murder, assault, rape, child molestation) and illegal drugs (also associated with violence, robbery, burglary, etc). So unless you're involved in those things as a perpetrator or victim, you'll probably never encounter a cop professionally.

Chiefs, on the other hand, do chief stuff, which has nothing to do with police work. Only in those offices can someone tell you with a straight face that by reducing the number of officers on the road, the department will handle calls for service on a more timely basis. They are also fond of new mission statements, changing the department patch/logo, and renaming various units with catchy sounding acronyms.

Bad Water Bill
07-27-2014, 07:55 AM
Chiefs, on the other hand, do chief stuff, which has nothing to do with police work. Only in those offices can someone tell you with a straight face that by reducing the number of officers on the road, the department will handle calls for service on a more timely basis. They are also fond of new mission statements, changing the department patch/logo, and renaming various units with catchy sounding acronyms.

I will bet you that the Chiraq chief can shoot out more street lights while drunk than your chief can.

And that is his only real claim to fame.