PDA

View Full Version : RCBS 82062 9mm 124 RN-GC

Wally
07-24-2014, 08:55 PM
I have one of these molds--has anyone cast bullets and loaded w/o GC's in the 9mm Luger with it? I'd appreciate it if you could share your experience.

Le Loup Solitaire
07-24-2014, 10:24 PM
I use the RCBS truncated nose bullet which has no provision for a GC, but the weight is similar to the 82062. Excellent and reliable feeding all the time. No leading and good accuracy in a Barretta, S&W 952 and a Luger. I also use the Lyman 358242 which is a non GC round nose similar to the 82062....also get superior performance. The GC is really only necessary if one is going over 1000fps although some folks say that you can go substantially hotter...up to 1200 fps+. I rarely go over 900 especially with the Luger. In the 9mm fit is important (it usually is everywhere) and .357-.359 is normally the sizing range....but slugging the bore is advisable otherwise one has to try different sizing diameters and compare to groups obtained. Ordinary WW metal is sufficient hardness but 1-2% tin added makes for sharper and better filled out bullets. Always use a slight taper crimp...just enough to have the bullet seat on the case mouth or it will go to far forward in the chamber (with either of the RCBS or Lyman mold). LLS

tazman
07-24-2014, 10:27 PM
Shooting that boolit without the gas check would not be much different than shooting a bevel based boolit. Should work ok.

Wally
07-24-2014, 11:01 PM
Shooting that boolit without the gas check would not be much different than shooting a bevel based boolit. Should work ok.

Thank you....will have to try it.

Wally
07-24-2014, 11:02 PM
I use the RCBS truncated nose bullet which has no provision for a GC, but the weight is similar to the 82062. Excellent and reliable feeding all the time. No leading and good accuracy in a Barretta, S&W 952 and a Luger. I also use the Lyman 358242 which is a non GC round nose similar to the 82062....also get superior performance. The GC is really only necessary if one is going over 1000fps although some folks say that you can go substantially hotter...up to 1200 fps+. I rarely go over 900 especially with the Luger. In the 9mm fit is important (it usually is everywhere) and .357-.359 is normally the sizing range....but slugging the bore is advisable otherwise one has to try different sizing diameters and compare to groups obtained. Ordinary WW metal is sufficient hardness but 1-2% tin added makes for sharper and better filled out bullets. Always use a slight taper crimp...just enough to have the bullet seat on the case mouth or it will go to far forward in the chamber (with either of the RCBS or Lyman mold). LLS

Thank you....

walnut1704
07-25-2014, 08:42 PM
I can't speak as to the 9mm, but in my experience with .38/.357 leaving the gas check off causes accuracy to suffer substantially. But by all means try it. You never know about these things. It will cause no harm.

bobthenailer
07-26-2014, 10:51 AM
Ive shot about 5 different cast boolets without gas checks installed in several firearms of different calibers with no loss of accuracy when loads are from between 800 to 1,100 fps. just work up the load without gas checks installed.