PDA

View Full Version : Very new here and to casting

vikingson57
07-24-2014, 12:43 PM
Forgive me as I am sure there are several posts that will answer my questions, any guidance to finding them would be great. I have a Mod 71, 1952 vintage that I have had for 30 years and been shooting jacketed bullets. I want to start casting. First off I am looking at both the LBT mould or the NEI mould. I have not found a sizer for this caliber. With either of these moulds will I need to size them? If not then great, if so where do I find the right sizer and die? Second are the powders that I have for my jacketed bullets good for the cast. I.E. IMR 4350 or 4895? I also know lube is a hot topic from everything I have read. LBT lubes seem fairly highly rated. Can they be used to pan lube if I am not sizing my bullet?

Again I apologize if all this is well covered in here, but the information I have found so far is pretty over whelming.

Charley

Yodogsandman
07-24-2014, 01:10 PM
Welcome to the site! There's plenty of good folks here that will help you out. I'm guessing you have a .348?

JonB_in_Glencoe
07-24-2014, 01:38 PM
Welcome vikingson,

There is a lot to cover for casting for Rifle, I assume you've read a good manual like the Lyman castbullet handbook, if not, I'd highly suggest it.

Here is a thread that'll help with get the basics.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?158805-Just-a-few-tips-for-new-rifle-casters

These photo's help show the relationship of the boolit and the chamber.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?168496-Chamber-and-throat-relationship

now Lube, a simple one, easy to make, from ingredients available from the local Dollar store...see post #5 for the recipe.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?232371-Hey-357-maximum-lubes&highlight=

Good Luck

Le Loup Solitaire
07-24-2014, 11:07 PM
I have been loading for my M71 for many years. I was fortunate to have gotten an old Lyman 450482 single cavity mold for it; a 250 grain thumper that has shot well for me. Most cast molds for it nowadays can be found around 200-215 grains which will also do very well. To find brass can be a challenge. Powders best for the 348 listed by my old Lyman manual are in the medium to slow range with velocities going from the high "teens" up to 2000fps....certainly enough for hunting medium to big game. Factory specs for J-bullets go as high as 2200+ depending on the bullet weight. I have never driven cast that fast. Case capacity is not a worry even if using 4831. The strength of the 71 action is well known...with monster size/caliber wildcats having been developed on it for use in Alaska on the biggest bears. No need to mention recoil. Custom moldmakers known on this forum can and will make you any design/diameter you may want or choose. Their work is highly respected. I believe Buckshot and a couple of other machinist members can and do make sizing dies for the lubrisizers on the market, as well as top punches, if none are listed anywhere. Powders listed for jacketed and cast also include 3031, 4895, 4064, 4320,4350,4198, and H380. I would check with any more modern loading manual to see what is current. There are several good lubes around and they can be readily used. Bore diameter is usually .350". If you find (or can designate to the maker) that that is the diameter that you want or need and the mold drops(according to the alloy used) then you are in good shape. You might want to slug the bore of the rifle to be sure. Mine is .350". A gas check is necessary on whatever design you go with, as velocity is usually more than 1600fps, and for the 348 they are somewhat more costly than most others (they are bigger), but a box of 1000 will last a long time...the 71 is not exactly a plinker. I hope all of this is of some help to you. Enjoy your 71 with cast. Its a great rifle. LLS

303Guy
07-25-2014, 01:56 AM
Welcome aboard, vikingson57 (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/member.php?37192-vikingson57). :drinks: I'm sure you will enjoy being here with us on this fine site (one of the best!)

Echo
07-25-2014, 09:56 AM
Welcome aboard, V57. I believe you will enjoy being part of the best forum on the web.

vikingson57
07-26-2014, 12:42 AM
Thank you all for the welcome and the advice. I have enjoyed shooting this Mod 71 for close to 30 years but have never shot cast bullets before in it..I am looking at diversifying my shooting. I appreciate all you have had to share with me...

TXGunNut
07-26-2014, 10:59 AM
Welcome to the affliction, you're off to a great start. Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook is a wealth of information and even with it's shortcomings it's a wealth of information. Lee's manual is quite good as well, if you don't have it already.

Blammer
07-26-2014, 05:52 PM
viking, I have GC's if you need some for your firearm.

sorry I'm not familiar with a model 71 and what cartridge it shoots. You didn't say, so I'll ask, what cartridge does it shoot?

wmitty
07-26-2014, 07:27 PM
M 71 was only chambered in .348 Win, wasn't it?

badbob454
07-26-2014, 08:07 PM
Welcome friend . lot of great guys and gals here....

vikingson57
07-26-2014, 09:05 PM
Thanks for the continuing information...Very nice group here. Blammer, the Mod 71 is the only rifle that was chambered in 348 Winchester, and that is the only caliber the rifle was chambered in. One day I want to get one of the Cimarron's Winchester 1885 highballs in 348 and start shooting long range silhouette.

gpidaho
07-27-2014, 09:27 AM
Vson 57: Welcome to the site and what will become your new addiction. After casting for handguns for years I started using cast in my rifles, they work so well that Im not wasting much money on J-words anymore. Enjoy the art of making it yourself to your specs. GP