PDA

View Full Version : Archery

Tatume
07-24-2014, 09:24 AM
Hello Folks,

First, I know this is not the correct place for this, but I hope to get greater exposure in this forum before the query gets moved to a more obscure location.

It has been several decades since I’ve hunted with archery tackle. I’m thinking of returning to the sport, and would like to get caught up. Where can I go to read about archery? I’m interested in both compound bows and crossbows, and haven’t decided which to get first. At this time I’m mainly interested in hardware, what to buy and why. Please point me to online as well as print resources.

Thanks, Tom

GoodOlBoy
07-24-2014, 09:56 AM
Only forum site I know of offhand is http://www.archerytalk.com/ I haven't been on it in awhile as the folks on there weren't all that interested in those who weren't shooting top of the line newest and best back when I was on it. May have changed.

For traditional archery http://www.tradgang.com/ Some very good folks on trad gang when last I was on. Not as good as CastBoolits..... but hey....

GoodOlBoy

AlaskanGuy
07-24-2014, 10:03 AM
I too am a member of archerytalk.... But the forum, while informative, is not like cast boolits..... But there is lots of info there....

AG

stubert
07-24-2014, 04:35 PM
www.bowhunting.com (http://www.bowhunting.com) They cover all aspects of archery

762 shooter
07-24-2014, 05:20 PM
I would suggest that you make friends with your local archery shop. They know whats hot and not. Setting up a bow is a lot more complicated than putting on a scope. I shot heavy for about 7 years. All kinds of competition. I'm not sure I could set a bow up now.

I have all my stuff in reserve when lead is outlawed, powder is regulated, primers are non-existent, and loud noises are investigated.

goblism
07-24-2014, 05:24 PM
Biggest suggestion is to buy a bow that matches your eye dominance. It is an addicting sport and I primarily archery hunt in the fall. I bet I have 50x the shot opportunities during archery season than gun season. Good reason to emit mother nature

dakotashooter2
07-24-2014, 07:06 PM
The biggest thing is not to get caught up in all the equipment hype. I'm using the same equipment I used 20 years ago and can still kill just as many deer as the next guy. Personally I think the advances in equipment often encourage shooters to take shots beyond their capability and shots that are higher risk.

quilbilly
07-24-2014, 08:18 PM
First check your hunting regs to see if crossbows are legal. Most states require that crossbows be used in modern rifle seasons. I wholeheartedly agree with dakotashooter2 about getting caught up in equipment hype. Take your time. I wouldn't recommend getting started now for a hunt this year but use this year to get accustomed to your equipment and developing the muscles to draw and hold a bow at full draw long enough to take just the right shot for a clean kill. By taking your time, you might just find that the simplicity of a 45# recurve (assuming you are hunting deer or smaller game) rather than all the moving parts of a compound is more suited to your enjoyment. I am sure that many compound shooters are already calling me a heretic.

tg32-20
07-24-2014, 09:09 PM
Hi Tom,
I have been involved in archery all my life in one form or another. I grew up in WA State and hunted with a 52 lb.recurve, longest shot was probably 20 yds. Today I would suggest you get a compound bow. With compounds weight of draw is a consideration, shops will try to sell you more weight than you can probably pull easily. For hunting you don not need more than 50 lbs. with todays compounds. You should be able to hold the bow straight out and pull it without too much effort. You will gain strength and mostly technique with practice. Almost all compounds are too short to shoot without a release aid today, so keep that in mind.

There are a number of good shops in your area, but if it is not too far of a drive, Lancaster Archery in Lancaster is the best and most equipped
shop on the East Coast area.

Tom

gunshot98
07-24-2014, 09:26 PM
I'm a member of Tradgang. It's a good site but they are just for Traditional Archery. bowhunter.com is also a good place to go. If you have a archery club local, try there, they are usually good help.

AlaskanGuy
07-24-2014, 09:37 PM
Being one of the local NASP instructors, I would like to also add that if you learn to instinctive shoot, it will help ALL of your archery skills, be it using a compound bow, traditional bow, or recurve.... I dont use a peep sight even on my compound.... It just helps you learn to keep your form and anchor point consistent.... Its like learning to drive a car with a stick shift first.... Learn to instinctively shoot first, then explore the different types of bows to find the type you like best.... Problem is, you end up liking them all anyway, at least I do... I have several flat bows, couple recurves, and more compounds then my wife knows what to do with... :bigsmyl2:

AG

dakotashooter2
07-25-2014, 11:09 AM
A large percentage of shooters are shooting more draw weight than is practical in hunting situations. I have shot at 55# draw weight all my life. Just because you can get the string back on a 70# bow doesn't mean it's practical. Many people I have observed have to draw the bow back from a lowered position to get enough leverage then bring it up to their anchor point. In field conditions it isn't practical for several reasons . You may find yourself shooting from odd positions or with extra clothing on or have other factors that will reduce your ability to draw that much weight. It also means excess movement that may be detected by game. Except on very cold days when my arthritis kicks in I can draw and hold 55# effortlessly from any position imaginable increasing my ability to effectively draw and get off a accurate shot in less than ideal situations. I grew up shooting instinctively, tried sights for a few years and went back to instinctive (though I do shoot a compound bow). I found that while I do not have the consistent pinpoint accuracy I would have with sights, my first shot accuracy, without having to consciously estimate range is actually better. Though it does take more focus. I never have to worry about sights moving or being knocked off or forgetting my release it home or not being able to see my sights in low or bright light. It's not for everyone though. Using sights will usually get a new shooter up and running faster.

I have mixed feelings about compound bows. They simply would be a big inconvenience for my hunting style, but if you are strictly a stand or blind hunter they work. One downside is that they are slow to reload. I have, on several occasions had game jump/duck a shot and been able to get off a second shot at an animal with a recurve or compound bow. That is harder to accomplish with a crossbow. I've also stayed away from the expandable broadheads. Fixed broadheads have served me well over the years, but with many of the new bows tuning is so critical that they may require the use of mechanical broadheads in order to get the arrows to fly straight.

What really bothers me is that all the new advancements in equipment has seemed to give hunters an excuse to take shots that have always been considered less than ideal or low percentage.

44man
07-26-2014, 01:28 PM
The biggest thing is not to get caught up in all the equipment hype. I'm using the same equipment I used 20 years ago and can still kill just as many deer as the next guy. Personally I think the advances in equipment often encourage shooters to take shots beyond their capability and shots that are higher risk.
Great call, my thoughts all the way. I have taken over 250 deer with bows and still believe in a heavy arrow even if slow. some new setups cost more then my car but I shot one last season with a long bow.
My problem today is I can't pull some bows, too stinking old.
Be prepared to spend all retirement money on a bow today. What the hell is it with a dozen arrows over $100? $40 for six broadheads?
Since Bow Hunters Warehouse was bought by Cabela's better have a fat wallet.