PDA

View Full Version : CCI Aluminum "Brass"

GoodOlBoy
07-24-2014, 12:25 AM
I have dug, I have searched, I have looked. Would there be ANY interest in the old CCI aluminum shells (357 mag, etc) in swapping and selling or are they still as useless as they were when CCI was still putting them out?

Hope this is a good enough place to post this, couldn't think of a better area.

GoodOlBoy

Sgtonory
07-24-2014, 12:54 AM
I would rather load 38 special hot than use aluminum cased 357.

obssd1958
07-24-2014, 01:02 AM
Not sure that I speak for anyone but me, but I don't even pick it up when it's laying on the ground free...

Not trying to rain on your parade, just answering truthfully for me.

Bullwolf
07-24-2014, 01:33 AM
Some of the CCI aluminum "brass" cases are Boxer primed, and some are Berdan primed.

When I worked as a commercial re-loader, we separated and sold for scrap all of our CCI aluminum cases, and any steel cases from the range as well.

The Boxer primed stuff at least may be useful to someone. I have heard of folks who reloaded it a couple of times.

I personally have not messed around with the aluminum cases myself. I have reloaded some steel cases for auto calibers both intentionally, and a few times on accident.

Sometimes I reload steel cases as disposable "brass" for places where I am unlikely to find the cases later, or when I just don't want to bother looking for them. Like when in the mud, deep snow, or those really good camouflage leaves.

Whenever I lose brass, it makes me want to shoot revolvers more.

- Bullwolf

GoodOlBoy
07-24-2014, 06:29 AM
Thanks guys, I know for myself I have always tossed the stuff, but seeing some of the Frankenstein-ish experiments some folks have done on here made me wonder if anybody could actually use them. I came across four OLD boxes of the SJSP 357 CCIs with aluminum "brass" on them at a estate sale and picked them up for a song (50 cents for 200 rounds anybody?) heck the bullets pulled in them would be worth more than what I paid. I will probably keep them as is for plinker rounds or emergency yote poppers, but I just wanted to know. If somebody HAD been interested I might have gone ahead and pulled the jwords out of them and sold the "brass" and jwords instead.

Anyway have a good one!

GoodOlBoy

ultramag
07-24-2014, 06:39 AM
I have kept some .38 Special and .45 Auto CCI cases in case things really get bad but haven't loaded any yet. Figured they were free and I was bent over anyway. They could also be sold or traded as scrap metal I suppose. The only .357 Mag cases I've paid attention to so far have been Berdan primed.

bullet maker 57
07-24-2014, 06:47 AM
I have reloaded some of the 45 twice. They are holding up just fine. I will keep the boxer primed "brass" for a backup to my backup. You never know.

Poygan
07-24-2014, 07:04 AM
I have reloaded the .45 acp about five times before it split. I have also reloaded the .380 aluminum cases when I didn't want to bother retrieving the empties. I don't bother picking up the berdan primed cases. The Wolf steel cases in .45 acp last about as long, using a Blackhawk convertible.

bobthenailer
07-24-2014, 07:39 AM
I shoot at a club that has Banned the use of non brass cased ammo new or reloads !
At least someone will pick up brass casings even for scrap , but the aluminum and steel cases no one picks them up and it creates quite a mess.
At my last trip to another club where im VP , as well in charge of building & grounds , i recently picked up almost a 2 1/2 gallon bucket of steel cased rifle & pistol casings , i used a extendable 4" round magnet from harbor freight tools.

bbs70
07-25-2014, 10:36 PM
I've reloaded aluminum 45 acp cases.
I keep them for places where it is too difficult to retrieve brass

Jupiter7
07-27-2014, 08:36 AM
I've loaded the blazer .45 that have a NR on them, I assume that means "not reloadable". I did anyway, about 20% split but to no ill affect. Wasn't a light load either, 8.2grs AA#5 and 200gr Lee SWC.

JonB_in_Glencoe
07-27-2014, 08:46 AM
I generally don't pick them up. But I have some friends that scrounge brass for me. one time I was given a couple bags of alum. spent cases. I stored them for a while...years ? anyway, I stumbled onto a guy (from NY I believe?) that was looking for unloadable "cheap" pistol brass...when I asked what he needed them for and what size he prefered...He wanted 9mm and 38spl for installing on the ends of arrows for blunt tips, He liked the idea of alum since it's lighter. I sold him lifetime supply.

There is always someone wanting something !

DLCTEX
07-27-2014, 10:25 AM
I once reloaded aluminum 45 acp cases to see how many times I could reload them. Using 200 gr. SWC I got 5-6 reloads on each of ten cases before the necks split.

Finster101
07-27-2014, 10:38 AM
I've reloaded aluminum 45 acp cases.
I keep them for places where it is too difficult to retrieve brass

That is what I do with the 45s I pick up as well. I only use them once for that reason. Much cheaper than losing your brass and I have had zero problems with them.

gew98
07-27-2014, 11:04 AM
I would not waste my time nor chance damage to my guns or presses with "substandard" cases. Just not worth it to me. There is so much good brass about losing a little here or there is inconsequential.
Just yesterday Morning I scrapped 49 lbs of mixed 9mm , 40 cal and 380 brass. It's that common in my AO.

badbob454
07-27-2014, 11:29 AM
maybe swage lead into a 9mm aluminum for the 40 cal? /40 aluminum ''brass'' for the 45auto ? use em like a gas check? , i have heard this is a special aircraft aluminum. so it may hold up to a few reloadings ? i would try 1 reload but no more than that....

badbob454
07-27-2014, 11:32 AM
I would not waste my time nor chance damage to my guns or presses with "substandard" cases. Just not worth it to me. There is so much good brass about losing a little here or there is inconsequential.
Just yesterday Morning I scrapped 49 lbs of mixed 9mm , 40 cal and 380 brass. It's that common in my AO.

dont scrap it..... sell it here ....

OBIII
07-27-2014, 04:41 PM
Pull the bullets, fertilize the lawn with the powder. Use the primed empty cases for inserting a wax plug and shooting mice in the basement.

OB

GoodOlBoy
07-27-2014, 04:45 PM
lol Now OB, that sounds like an idea, except I am in the river bottoms of East Texas. Our water table is about six to eight feet down, meaning unless me, and the mice can swim there ain't gonna be a basement :p

GoodOlBoy

shooterg
07-27-2014, 07:09 PM
I'm one that picks up the small primer CCI aluminum .45's and reloads 'em a bunch. The large primer cases (.45) I've seen and the .38's too, were Berdan. Mild 200 gr. LSWC loads, 5 times around in .45, no problem. And if I lose any 'cause the grass is too tall/etc., no worries.