PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Loading .458 SOCOM with Mountain Mold bullets?

Ron60
07-22-2014, 10:07 PM
Several years ago I bought a 500 grain .500 mold from Mountain Molds. Wonderful bullet, great mold. I have been bitten by the .458 SOCOM bug and am wondering if anyone has gotten a Mountain Mold for loading in their SOCOM.
I'm playing with the idea of a 400 grain bullet. Hoping I could come up with a load that would generate energies approaching the .500 S&W. I live on Kodiak Island and feel very confident my .500 would serve me well for a chance encounter with a brown bear. A lot of that confidence resides in the truncated cone 500 grain bullet sitting on top of 33 grains of H-110. The meplat on my bullet is also 75% the diameter of the bullet. I was only interested in performance on big game (bear) under 100 yards. The same would be true of any .458 SOCOM load I'm like to develop. For hunting Brown Bears I have a .450 Alaskan and that WILL do the job. Have already taken a 9'2" Brown with my .375 H&H. They don't go down easy!
So - has anyone been playing with the .458 SOCOM and come up with some real cast bullet ballistics?
Thanks
Ron