PDA

View Full Version : The Lead/Antimony Rule I forget!

Blackwater
07-20-2014, 04:48 PM
I forget. Isn't there supposed to be a rule about the ratio of lead to antimony in cast bullets? Is it Sb should never exceed Sn content, or visa versa??? Gettin' old is great. I get to re-learn stuff all the time! Thanks for any help.

500MAG
07-20-2014, 04:57 PM
Black water, here is a great reference to bookmark:
http://www.lasc.us/CastBulletNotes.htm

Harry O
07-20-2014, 07:29 PM
I have some high antimony monotype that I often use to sweeten the pure lead and WW I also have. Some bullets were tried with straight monotype and they were worthless. They were so brittle that crimping then in a case caused the bullet to crack through at the crimp location. In addition, it was very hard to get the mould to completely fill out. Multiple small lube grooves were definitely out.

The amount of antimony is more than twice the amount of tin in monotype. I added tin until it matched the percentage of antimony and got usable bullets. I know that some people around here have said that you use twice as much antimony as tin, but I couldn't do it. I make it a point to equalize the amount of tin and antimony anymore.

btroj
07-20-2014, 07:50 PM
I tend to follow only one rule-ignore all rules related to shooting cast.

Like Harry I have some ideas on what works well for ME. It works in my guns, with my moulds, and my loads. I vary things for some guns to give them what they seem to want/need.

Generally it is good to keep tin at or below antimony levels. I go even farther and don't generally add tin at all. My range scrap makes a good bullet as is despite a very low tin level. It works for ME so I let it be.

One rule to always follow- listen to the gun. If it works, keep doing it. If it doesn't work, change things til you find what does. That does mean each gun is an individual but you should know that already.

JonB_in_Glencoe
07-20-2014, 08:26 PM
I understand that equal amounts of Sb and Sn will attain the 'toughest' possible alloy.