PDA

View Full Version : Safe Queen Ressurection

762 shooter
07-20-2014, 08:08 AM
After my wife’s father passed several years ago, she came into possession of several firearms that were left after the rest of the family picked over them. I un-wrapped the blankets to see what she made it home with.

A couple of single shot shotguns, 12 and 410., a pump 22, and a Speedmaster.

I unrolled the last firearm and this popped out.

http://i59.tinypic.com/2qvzaxd.jpg
http://i58.tinypic.com/2ds4lkl.jpg
http://i60.tinypic.com/2ynmkux.jpg

A Winchester 1873.

Now this old girl had been rode hard and put up wet. My first thought was that this was Little Annie Oakley’s favorite rifle, LA. Then maybe a first draft of a presentation piece for the governor of Louisiana, LA. Alas, I could find no provenance for either.

As you can see, a previous owner had taken it upon his self to engrave his initials in the firearm to cement his ownership. Yes, that is right. A cold chiseled “LA” in each side of the forearm, the receiver, and the stock.

A few particulars. Caliber is 38-40 (30 WCF). 23” octagon barrel. Dust cover intact. The original magazine tube had apparently been the sight of an in tube explosion and looked like a snake that had swallowed an M-80. The stock has maybe a quarter inch of varnish/bear grease/lacquer build up.

The rifle seemed to function, chamber and eject rounds fine. The barrel was a sewer pipe. There was nothing shiny in there at all. Too many black powder loads and no cleaning I suspect.

I ran a few halfhearted oiled patches through the barrel and put it in the back of the safe.

Fast forward to three weeks ago. While I was going through the safe checking the queens, I pulled out said rifle and decided to waste an afternoon. I had gotten another tube and installed it with the original spring. I decided to try some Sweets 7.62 to see if I could get through the crud to find some rifling. One hour later I could see a dull shine and what I hoped was rifling. I still wasn’t getting clean patches, but the rifling was there. Dried out the Sweets and applied a little FP10.

I bought and installed a Lyman Peep and headed to the range with some REM-UMC factory rounds. Old stuff also. I discovered that if I wore my reading glasses while looking through the peep, I could clearly see the front blade and the target. It’s on like Donkey Kong.

Shooting the old gun with elderly ammo produced about a 1 1/2 inch group at 50 yds.
http://i58.tinypic.com/28iyfm0.jpg

I am now looking forward to playing around with this classic rifle and some cast.

blikseme300
07-20-2014, 08:29 AM
Very nice piece of history you have. Thanks for sharing.

zuke
07-20-2014, 08:57 AM
Just because they look like ****, don't mean their not a treasure.
When I had my dually pick-up many guy's tried selling me fancy aluminum rim's but I alway's said no. No one steal's crappy looking steel rim's.

John Boy
07-20-2014, 09:14 AM
re: the '73 ... buy Eezox too clean the bore. It's the best cleaner-lubrication and rust preventative on the market. Final light coating dries with no gummy layer. Be sure to take the side plates off and cean the innards
For the wood, do not remove the original finish. Clean the wood with Clenzoil
OK, make - model for the pump? Clean it the same with Eezox and Clenzoil
I collect antiques and these two products are all I use

Congratulations one nice firearms added to the collection

bedbugbilly
07-20-2014, 12:43 PM
Very nice! That old gal still has a lot of life left in her. As they say . . . "if it could only talk". Hopefully someday you'll figure out the "L.A." - anybody in your wife's genealogy with those initials? I'd much rather have a rile like that that showed some good honest wear than a brand new one. Hopefully you'll discover more of the history behind it - until then - just enjoy! A nice historic rifle!

Hardcast416taylor
07-20-2014, 01:03 PM
NICE FIND! Since you will probably have this nice rifle till you`re no longer here - I wouldn`t have any concerns or worries about the LA markings or the stock finish. Sounds like you`re prospecting in that barrel and are finding hints of a "strike" fairly soon.Robert

osteodoc08
07-20-2014, 02:01 PM
What a nice find! Congrats and enjoy. Thanks for the story

Ben
07-20-2014, 02:15 PM
As to the rifle.........don't we all hope when we are that old that we can still function that well.

Le Loup Solitaire
07-20-2014, 11:11 PM
I have the same rifle and it too started out in kind of rough shape. I've shot it repeatedly with cast loads giving around 1200 fps. With the shooting and steady cleaning the bore has consistently improved and now shows strong clear rifling. Definitely pull the side plates and clean and lube the links/linkage. In fact lube/oil anything that rotates or has sliding surfaces. Also pull the cap on the end of the mag tube and take out the spring. Run a couple of oily patches up and down the mag tube and then clean and oil the spring. Probably none of that has been done, if ever, so don't be surprised at how much dust/rust or crud comes out. Its a well built reliable and accurate rifle. LLS

762 shooter
07-21-2014, 04:45 PM
No one claims to know a "LA". Her clan are all coal miners in West Virginny.

I cleaned the bore again and it does seem that the more I clean the better the rifling looks.

Thought you all would like the pics.