PDA

View Full Version : going to the range

skykingjohn
07-19-2014, 06:12 PM
Looking for some help in what to do . I have always shot at my own range and recently had to get rid of it . (long story) I have found a indoor range not far from home but am unsure how it all works . asin range etiquette ,how to know how long i am in there , how to work the target machine . While i know this sounds stupided . I hate to look stupided so i have not been shooting . And that is not good . Any info would be great

dtknowles
07-19-2014, 06:15 PM
I think the best thing to do is just ask the range attendant. I expect that you know safe gun handling practices but you just need to know how they do things so they are the ones to ask. Tell them that you have shot before but never at their range.

Tim

swamp
07-19-2014, 06:29 PM
+1 on asking. I would just tell them you are new to the range and ask for the guided tour.
swamp

WILCO
07-19-2014, 08:03 PM
Yep. I ask when I need to.

TXGunNut
07-19-2014, 08:11 PM
They'd a lot rather you ask then have to correct you. Range rules will likely be posted and if you have any questions they should be happy to answer them. Every range has different rules so they expect questions from a new customer. Not much on indoor ranges because of the airborne lead so rule #1 is to get your shooting done and leave, then wash your hands and face as soon as possible after you leave.

skykingjohn
07-19-2014, 10:07 PM
as usual Cast Boolits is the place to get good advice . I will just have to swallow my pride and be a newbie. But if you guys say it is ok then it is ok

dtknowles
07-19-2014, 11:54 PM
as usual Cast Boolits is the place to get good advice . I will just have to swallow my pride and be a newbie. But if you guys say it is ok then it is ok

I think a newbie would more likely try to wing it and look like a fool and have to be corrected. By asking about the rules and how the equipment works, looks like you have experience and understand that all ranges are different with there own quirks.

Tim

Bad Water Bill
07-20-2014, 01:04 AM
Each and every range may have specific rules and regulations.

Things they fear and things their insurance company DEMANDS.

They invested their money so you must play by their rules.

Ask first and make sure you understand and can live with their stuff.

Then either join or walk away.

I have been shooting for close to 50 years and still ask at every new range I visit.

Artful
07-20-2014, 01:16 AM
Start with the guided tour and ask questions.
example

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COvFyw-6Fqs

Get a note pad and pen/pencil - take notes
- look at what everyone else has brought to the range.

Most likely things
- ear plugs and muffs - it's going to be way noisier than an outdoor range.
- Eye protection
- chamber flags for all your guns
https://ipsc.org/store/prodimage/csFlag2.jpg
http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/_4eC62QYrvk/maxresdefault.jpg
- tissue (indoor ranges are smokey/dirty usually)
- tape and marker

depending upon the range
- spotting scope
- targets (ask what is approved - not all are at all ranges)
- staple gun and staples
- tools to work on your weapons (adjust sights, clean, push out a stuck boolit)
- bag to put brass in
- if you pay by the hour you may want more magazines to preload before you get there.

If I can say anything to you
- it's muzzle's down range
- that was my biggest concern when a range officer.
- Always follow the range officer's instructions

leadman
07-20-2014, 02:55 AM
Do wash up before you leave the range as this will cut down on contaminating your vehicle. If you can find an outdoor range close by you may find it more to your liking.
I really dislike indoor range because of the noise and smoke. The range might also require certain ammo.

a.squibload
07-20-2014, 06:57 AM
A good indoor range will have airflow from behind you toward the targets.
It might be a little breezy in there, probably a good sign.

Indoor range probably has an "airlock", close the first door before you open the second door
(noise abatement).

They might come along while you're shooting and sweep up brass, thinking it's theirs.
Probably so you won't slip on it & fall down, but also so they can sell it, reload it, etc.
Ask about empty brass policy.

Try not to shoot the cieling, they hate that.
:>)

CastingFool
07-20-2014, 07:14 AM
Some ranges will not allow you to use reloads.

bobthenailer
07-20-2014, 07:16 AM
the only DUMB question is the one you dont ask !