PDA

View Full Version : does any body out their like boreing

johnson1942
07-19-2014, 12:42 PM
whan i switched to black horn 209 powder and paperpatching bullet my shooting has turned boreing. i hit in the same place every time and no more cleaning between shots. i love traditional but at my age i tweeked guns enough to get them to shoot and cleaned between shots enough. im happy. when i chrograped my newest creation with 80 grains by volume pored and not weighed i got a 2 ft. per sec variation comming out of the barrel with a .440 335 grain pp bullet. 1600 ft per sec. when i loaded 110 grain by volume i got 1970 ft per sec. that will drop a lot of critters. i save every type of fluid container their is as i fill them with water, cap them any love blowing them up off of a stand i made 60 yards out. simple things can be fun.

GhostHawk
07-19-2014, 01:34 PM
Well there is simple, and then there is simple.

Some things are easier to figure out than others.

My Yugo SKS was pretty simple to figure out that she likes her bullets big, long, hard, and set a touch long in the case.
A couple of trips to the range and she is suddenly hitting everything she is pointed at. Which is good.

But figuring out how to make my Mosin's dance the same tune is not as simple. Cases have much more capacity, toning down that bark was not too hard but it is taking a bit more work to find where the best accuracy sweet spot is. And that is good too, it is good to have something to keep working on.

I suspect you have some old timers here who for a given gun/caliber/bullet/powder combo could quote you chapter and verse. What is going to work best, which give you the best accuracy, which will give you good accuracy with reduced recoil, etc.

With a different gun, alloy, mold your mileage may vary.

Maven
07-19-2014, 02:05 PM
"When i switched to Black Horn 209 powder and paper patching bullets, my shooting turned boring. i hit in the same place every time and no more cleaning between shots."

johnson1942, I wish my offhand shooting was as "boring," as yours. However, I'm using traditional ML's for the most part (See my new thread about an inline below) with patched RB's wetted with 1 H20 : 6 Ballistol + real BP (Diamondback FFg) and really don't need to clean between shots: Tried it both ways and found no difference in accuracy. Not having to clean,wipe, or damp swab between shots is way more convenient than the reverse.

johnson1942
07-19-2014, 04:33 PM
thank you i will check it out ,their is as noth ing AA

johnson1942
07-19-2014, 04:37 PM
their is nothjing mas boreing as inconsistancy. real,black is the most

johnson1942
07-19-2014, 04:59 PM
sorry , real blackpowder is the most accurate powder in the world. all else is judged by it. my computer isnt working as it should be. black horn 209 powder is a very close second. use what gives you the groups you want and stick with it.

koger
07-19-2014, 06:31 PM
And we all said Amen! I agree with Roger 100%!

fouronesix
07-20-2014, 11:54 AM
I love boring! With the caveat that no matter the load/bullet combination, there are some guns that simply won't shoot. Past a certain point, I try not to keep banging my head on the wall with one that may have never shot well, doesn't shoot well and will never shoot well. I usually don't keep those.

Perspective is also in order. A 150+ year old musket that shoots about 1" @ 50 yards is a tack driver. A modern center fire that won't do about 1" at 100 yards is not a tack driver. A bench rest center fire that won't do about .20" or less @ 100 yards is not a tack driver, etc.

Geezer in NH
07-20-2014, 08:47 PM
Bet it won't ignite in a flinter