PDA

View Full Version : Question About Forster HPointer

Bigscot
01-22-2008, 08:34 PM
Will this hollow pointer work on any trimmer such as the RCBS trimmer or only Forster? Are the results as good as I have read here in another post?

Thinking of using it on 30.30, .35 Rem and .44 mag boolits.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=371968

Thanks,

Bigscot

Forester
01-22-2008, 09:13 PM
Will this hollow pointer work on any trimmer such as the RCBS trimmer or only Forster? Are the results as good as I have read here in another post?

Thinking of using it on 30.30, .35 Rem and .44 mag boolits.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=371968

Thanks,

Bigscot

If the shaft diameter is the same it should work an other brands, I know that it will not work with the Lyman trimmer.

I have had great results with my limited work with it. I will be trying it again soon with a few 45-70 loads to see if I can gain any accuracy there.

Pepe Ray
01-22-2008, 10:54 PM
The "shaft diameter" of concern is that of the pilots for the basic trimmer. I know that Redding pilots WILL work. Therefore there should be some compatibility there. I havn't tried the others.
Pepe Ray

Larry Gibson
01-22-2008, 11:53 PM
The Forster shaft is .185". I've not tried it in any other trimmer so I can't say. I have used it for over 30 years and find it quite usefull on .30 cal cast bullets and above. It's not hard to use correctly but you have to hold the guide against the bullet solidly. I also got the adaptor that replaces the handle so an electic screwdiver does the turning.

Larry Gibson

lovedogs
01-23-2008, 12:25 PM
Funny someone would bring up this subject. Lately, I've been wondering how using my Forster Hollow-Pointer would work to make a couple of my .44 & .45-70 bullets (RNFPGC designs) into hollow points. I wonder if I made a shallow cavity if 20:1 and #2 alloy bullets would expand a little, therefore enhancing their performance on deer-sized critters. Anyone tried this? How'd it work?

leftiye
01-24-2008, 03:29 PM
In another thread, they were talking about toughness etc. and they really liked 50/50 WW/lead either air cooled or heat treated or water dropped for expansion. The 20:1 lead/tin should expand muy fine, with the tin adding toughness to the lead. That's 5% tin and the tin may promote leading, but my experience is that a good lube (Lar's C-red mixed 1 to 6 by weight with bullplate lube?) will keep leading at bay. I go 1 1/2% antimony (about 60% lead 40% wheelweights, and 5%tin) on top of that, it's right on the line for maybe being a little soft. Shoots fairly accurately too. Next I'm going to melt some brass brazing rod into my alloy to get 1% copper, and see how that works (when it quits snowing!).