PDA

View Full Version : Are you eating FREAK chickens??

nekshot
07-19-2014, 11:33 AM
Recently the nekshot clan orered new chicks for layers and the hatchery had a deal on broiler chicks so we got a bunch. They came together and immediatly something was very wrong! The broilers feet were 3 times too big for them, they could barely walk- they would hobble like grossly over weight folk walk, they would sit at or on the feeders and eat ALLLLL day long only taking breaks to drink gallons of water(no kidding)! my daughters milk goat (a young one) climbed up on a high point and bawled all day long watching the broilers. When I would feed the broilers(every other hour) they would go absolutely nuts at the sound of grain and would pile 3 high on my hand and feed scoop as I would pour the grain into feeder and the young goat bawling at it all. My wife declared these are not chickens but FREAKS! They were absolutely GROSS and with Great joy I took their heads off and got them in the freezer. I noticed the other day the goat has stopped bawling since the freaks are history. I am almost sick of store bought chickens from now on! By the way the layers look and act normal the way a chicken should. I think the goat is smarter than us and our genetic altering nature!!!!

s mac
07-19-2014, 12:32 PM
A buddy of mine raise fryers commercially, that is the way those birds act, eat around the clock.

montana_charlie
07-19-2014, 12:40 PM
I QUIT eating chicken since taking up "diet by blood type". Chicken and type B blood don't mix. I've only had a bite or two of chicken in 8 weeks and I feel noticeably better.
I never heard of this diet method before reading your post.
But, Wiki has this for Blood Type B ...

Blood group B is called the nomad by D'Adamo, who estimates this group to have arrived 10,000 years ago. He states that this type is associated with a strong immune system and a flexible digestive system.

That would make me think you are "flexible" enough to eat most anything.

CM

EDIT:

Out of curiosity I went looking and found this chart http://www.soulcraft.co/info/food_chart.htm
While it is interesting in some ways, I have to disbelieve it altogether.

Why? Because it says nobody should eat BACON!

historicfirearms
07-19-2014, 01:09 PM
The meat chickens are GROSS, an abomination of nature. Let them get too fat and they will break their legs under their own weight. At least when home raised, they aren't fed disgusting parts and aren't stacked on top of each other in pens where they can't move.

We've got Buff Orpingtons and Isa reds. They are gentle egg layers and the meat tastes good too.

DR Owl Creek
07-19-2014, 01:59 PM
My Grandfather was a farmer. He raised dairy cattle, hogs, sheep, chickens, etc. The only type of meat he wouldn't eat was chicken... He saw what they did...

Fishman
07-19-2014, 02:24 PM
The secret to keeping Cornish cross chickens from eating themselves to death is feeding them a measured amount on a schedule and processing them at 8 weeks. That and keep them in a nice coop and pen, maybe a little free ranging and they do fine with few mortalities. I have less problem killing and eating a chicken that will likely die before 12 weeks as compared to a heritage breed that lives several years.

That being said, they sure are homely chickens.

WILCO
07-19-2014, 02:41 PM
:shock::shock::shock:[smilie=s::shock::shock::shock:

nekshot
07-19-2014, 03:07 PM
WILCO----THATS A FREAKY FREAK! Look at those big feet and some big other parts compared to a normal chicken.

GRUMPA
07-19-2014, 03:10 PM
Wife was just talking to me about getting those types of chickens. After reading they like to eat 24/7 I wonder if it's even worth it. Get chicken on sale at the market or spend $$$ in feed, wonder which way is cheaper?

Magana559
07-19-2014, 03:37 PM
I raised 25 of them freaks this year, I let them free range and only spent about $100 in feed and ended up with 8lb birds after process. LOTS of breast meat.

GRUMPA
07-19-2014, 03:46 PM
I hope you folks realize the wife is reading this and doing the math, talk about a woman that can get a dollars worth out of a nickel, and NO she doesn't have any sisters.

nekshot
07-19-2014, 04:16 PM
Grumpa, we were getting 1 bag of a chick like starter feed a week for 15 FREAK birds. It was not cheaper But we know what they were eating. We are going to get layers(along with our layers) and raise them up next time. We have our own wheat and corn to feed after this fall so the cost of feed is no bother.

pressonregardless
07-19-2014, 05:27 PM
:shock::shock::shock:[smilie=s::shock::shock::shock:

I prefer these.111111

historicfirearms
07-19-2014, 06:18 PM
Grumpa,
dollar wise, it's not worth it for meat chickens unless you have access to cheap or free feed. The commercial farmers have it down to a science and can produce meat very cheaply. If you factor in your time for taking care of them, slaughter, and processing it becomes even more expensive. Don't forget costs of fencing / pen / coop.

Our layers eat very little store bought feed in the warm months (we are in Michigan). They can free range and eat lots of insects, grass, etc. We also give them almost all of our kitchen scrap. Most of the time we get about 3/4 of an egg per day, per chicken.

shooter93
07-19-2014, 06:24 PM
I looked at that chart MC.....I'm a walking dead man according to it.

rmatchell
07-19-2014, 06:32 PM
We raise our own birds for eggs and meat and I have to say that I dont like the cornish cross at all. They go through a ton of food and produce just as much waste. If you live near a hatchery and are not in a hurry to butcher your can pick up chicks at the end of the week for next to nothing and let them forage. We have picked up 50 chicks for 10 cents each and butchered after 18 weeks as long as we kept them on fresh grass they didnt go through to much feed.

roadie
07-19-2014, 06:36 PM
I've done 3 batches of these birds from chicks. First batch was 50% loss from heart attacks, crippling up and unknowns....second batch roughly the same.

The third batch was 1% loss....99 healthy birds out of 100. The only change made was to build them a big run and let them stay out as long as they would. Takes longer to run them to a decent weight, but it's better than losing half.

They demand clean conditions, the ammonia will kill them quick. I cleaned out their coop every second day. Biggest problem I had was finding non-medicated feed.

AnnieOakley
07-19-2014, 06:54 PM
We have raised the Cornish Cross chickens too. We kept them in a chicken tractor and moved them once a day, and fed them at least twice a day. Yes, the feed can get expensive, but that was the best tasting chicken I have ever had. The waste left behind makes great fertilizer for your garden. My husband says, "They act a lot like democrats. They have to be protected from themselves!"

roadie
07-19-2014, 07:04 PM
We have raised the Cornish Cross chickens too. We kept them in a chicken tractor and moved them once a day, and fed them at least twice a day. Yes, the feed can get expensive, but that was the best tasting chicken I have ever had. The waste left behind makes great fertilizer for your garden. My husband says, "They act a lot like democrats. They have to be protected from themselves!"

Isn't that the truth, they are the dumbest critter I ever had anything to do with. Pigs are a pleasure to raise compared to these chickens.

They were worth the effort though, as you say, best tasting chicken ever.

cbrick
07-19-2014, 07:16 PM
EDIT:

Out of curiosity I went looking and found this chart http://www.soulcraft.co/info/food_chart.htm

Charlie . . . Stay off them muslim web sites!

No eating bacon indeed! :shock:

Rick

TXGunNut
07-19-2014, 07:54 PM
As much as I enjoy free range eggs and dislike grasshoppers I should probably build a coop and keep some chickens around here.

crowbuster
07-19-2014, 08:33 PM
I prefer these.111111
by far our favorite as well. Take the cold well to.

montana_charlie
07-19-2014, 08:48 PM
Isn't that the truth, they [chickens]are the dumbest critter I ever had anything to do with.
My vote on that score would go to Guinea fowl.
They can make a chicken look like Einstein.

Charlie . . . Stay off them muslim web sites!

No eating bacon indeed! :shock:

Rick
Did you know that Seventh-day Adventist (Christians) 'abstain from the unclean foods identified in the Scriptures' ... which includes pork/bacon?

CM

dakotashooter2
07-19-2014, 11:23 PM
I raised 25 of them freaks this year, I let them free range and only spent about $100 in feed and ended up with 8lb birds after process. LOTS of breast meat.

An 8lb bird would NEED feet that big........................

FISH4BUGS
07-20-2014, 02:53 PM
No sir.....no freak chickens for me. We contract with an organic farm (about a mile from here) for 4 chickens a month. I know what they eat (free range), what they are fed (organic corn and grains), what they have been given for antibiotics (usually none), and how they were processed. They are eating bugs on Friday, processed Friday afternoon, and in the freezer on Saturday.
We also get our bacon, eggs, sausage and burger from the same farm. We are one of about 100 of her customers and she makes a decent living at it, we get our organic meats, and everyone is happy. I even shoot some of her woodchucks at no charge just to be a nice guy!
If you can find a natural or organic farm to contract with, do it. The food is superb. Yes, it is more expensive. But make it count and it really doesn't cost all that much more.
We will do a chicken a week (yes we eat a ton of chicken), then switch to burger for a few days, then back to chicken for a few days, then a chicken soup then back to chicken then burgers.....all organic. Sausage and eggs for breakfast every day.
You do have to go out of your way to make this happen, and you just don't go down to the grocery store for your protein, but it is worth it.

LAH
07-20-2014, 04:54 PM
The meat chickens are GROSS, an abomination of nature. Let them get too fat and they will break their legs under their own weight. At least when home raised, they aren't fed disgusting parts and aren't stacked on top of each other in pens where they can't move.

We've got Buff Orpingtons and Isa reds. They are gentle egg layers and the meat tastes good too.

Raised 50 Buff Orpingtons from chicks once & enjoyed the eggs.

pressonregardless
07-20-2014, 06:01 PM
Raised 50 Buff Orpingtons from chicks once & enjoyed the eggs.

Those are some nice birds.

bnelson06
07-20-2014, 06:45 PM
We raise broilers also, pita but best tasting chicken I've had. Can't even eat the store bought stuff anymore.

montana_charlie
07-20-2014, 06:58 PM
We only keep layers because we are mainly interested in the eggs.
We generally like Silver-laced Wyandotts but we have some Rhode Island Reds right now.
We buy straight run, so we always get some young roosters to butcher.
We let the hens lay for three cycles (years) and then butcher them, too.

Those are 'pot chickens' ... the kind that make soup which some people think of as 'medicine' for what ails you.
Our old girls make a soup that will almost cure cancer.

CM

aspangler
07-20-2014, 07:01 PM
I never heard of this diet method before reading your post.
But, Wiki has this for Blood Type B ...

That would make me think you are "flexible" enough to eat most anything.

CM

EDIT:

According to this chart I have been dead for the last 60 of my 62 years!:groner:

bnelson06
07-20-2014, 07:24 PM
If I go by that chart I'll die of starvation.

cbrick
07-20-2014, 07:42 PM
I looked at that chart, according to my blood type about 85% of everything I've eaten my entire life is marked . . . X---Avoid, food acts like a poison.

I seem to do fairly well living on poison, it seems to be not only healthy but tasty too. :mrgreen:

If I go by that chart I'll die of starvation.

Yeah but just think how healthy you'll be doing it!

Rick

Sweetpea
07-20-2014, 08:13 PM
Seeing as I'm an AB-, I knew I shouldn't even have gone and looked at that list...

If I had to eat what was left to survive, I wouldn't...[smilie=b:[smilie=b:[smilie=b:

montana_charlie
07-20-2014, 08:50 PM
I objected (on behalf of everyone) about the fact that the chart totally outlaws bacon.
But, for myself, being an 'O' type person, I am astonished by the idea that I can eat duck, bit not goose ... and infuriated by the idea that (along with pork ham and bacon) the following are taboo for me:
catfish
ice cream
cashews
peanut butter
multi-grain bread
whole wheat bread
corn muffins (corn bread)
potatoes
sweet corn
cantalope and honeydew melons
oranges (and orange juice)
pepper
mayonaise
ketchup
coffee
distilled spirits
Coke

And good old pinto beans are not even included in the listing.

So, basically speaking, if you are a red-blooded American with O-type blood, you have to eat like a Buddhist monk with a colon bypass.

MaryB
07-20-2014, 09:47 PM
I do the same for beef and pork, local farm, local butcher, burger is safe to eat raw mixed with garlic and onion and olive oil.

No sir.....no freak chickens for me. We contract with an organic farm (about a mile from here) for 4 chickens a month. I know what they eat (free range), what they are fed (organic corn and grains), what they have been given for antibiotics (usually none), and how they were processed. They are eating bugs on Friday, processed Friday afternoon, and in the freezer on Saturday.
We also get our bacon, eggs, sausage and burger from the same farm. We are one of about 100 of her customers and she makes a decent living at it, we get our organic meats, and everyone is happy. I even shoot some of her woodchucks at no charge just to be a nice guy!
If you can find a natural or organic farm to contract with, do it. The food is superb. Yes, it is more expensive. But make it count and it really doesn't cost all that much more.
We will do a chicken a week (yes we eat a ton of chicken), then switch to burger for a few days, then back to chicken for a few days, then a chicken soup then back to chicken then burgers.....all organic. Sausage and eggs for breakfast every day.
You do have to go out of your way to make this happen, and you just don't go down to the grocery store for your protein, but it is worth it.

Wolfer
07-20-2014, 10:11 PM
I don't eat a lot of chicken, don't care for eggs either. I do love to hear a rooster crow in the mornings and I enjoy my tick free yard. My chickens are Bantam - Plymouth rock cross and are totally free range. I don't have a coop.

Their always raising babies and while a quail may have a bigger breast than my chickens the coyotes seem to think they taste ok.

Most of the meat we eat at home I suspect is organic. It is certainly free range. It is not cheap however with the price of tags, camping supplies ammo etc.

When I was younger we would butcher a hog on occasion to supplement the wild game. Anymore though I either eat less meat or there are more edible critters available or I'm a better hunter than I used to be. Probably the first two.

TXGunNut
07-21-2014, 01:18 AM
You do have to go out of your way to make this happen, and you just don't go down to the grocery store for your protein, but it is worth it.-FISH4BUGS

I wish I were doing as well. I have a source for free range eggs and my game meat is certainly free range but my meat chickens are store-bought. I guess my next project is a chicken coop.

FISH4BUGS
07-21-2014, 03:59 PM
You do have to go out of your way to make this happen, and you just don't go down to the grocery store for your protein, but it is worth it.-FISH4BUGS

I wish I were doing as well. I have a source for free range eggs and my game meat is certainly free range but my meat chickens are store-bought. I guess my next project is a chicken coop.
Tex:
Go to a few farmer's markets and ask around as to who raises natural or organic chickens/pigs/cows, etc. They are really not that hard to find if you know where to ask.
You might have to have some freezer space available. We get 4 a month in May through November, then at mid to end of November we get 28 chickens. They go into the freezer until the following May when the new batch come on line. We bought a 6 foot stand up freezer and chock it full of chickens, burger, sausage, vegetables from the garden, and anything else we can get. I bought 40 lbs of organic cranberries at a farmer's market and froze them in quart bags. Ren makes a cranberry sauce that is to die for.
Buy local for as much as you can!

AnnieOakley
07-22-2014, 03:40 PM
I just wanted to throw out there, that our Freak birds were Cornish Cross, hybrids not genetically modified. You can raise them organically on grass, bugs, sunshine and organic feed. We did all of the above but didn't do the organic feed. We did get good quality feed from a Mennonite man who mixed it especially for us. The "Salatin Mix", if you know who Joel Salatin is. We raise our own pork, chicken, and duck and get beef and lamb from my inlaws who raise those. I praise God for resources such as this, because I don't trust the grocery for my meat anymore and the prices are sky high for not so great food.

gwpercle
07-22-2014, 06:47 PM
Look on the bright side, if the chickens can't run they going to be a whole lot easier to catch. On Sunday morning at My Grand paw's house , my brother and I had the job of catching the chicken for dinner. Those chickens knew how to run and it was a JOB to catch one!
The adults thought it was so funny to watch us boy's chase chickens all around the yard. If that U-Tube had been around I'm sure we would have been on it chasing chickens.
Gary

MT Gianni
07-22-2014, 09:43 PM
I eat the real freak chickens, $4.99 Costco rotisserie.

big bore 99
07-22-2014, 10:17 PM
I raised chickens years ago and ground up my own feed from corn and wheat and sometimes oats with oyster shell. Was hardly worth it then and probably worse now. Had an old guy that came around and would caponize the roosters for .50 cents each. Talk about meat chickens, those things would eat constantly and their legs would sometimes break from the weight.

FISH4BUGS
07-23-2014, 08:14 AM

I'd be willing to bet that if you knew what these were fed and the chemicals and antibiotics that were pumped into them, you just might change your mind. To each their own, however.
The organic chickens we get cost $4.50 PER POUND as whole chickens. Some of these chickens are 5-7 lbs. Do the math. Those are some expensive chickens.....that is why we make them last and waste nothing, including the carcass, which gets zip lock bagged and placed into the freezer. Every third or fourth chicken we dig the carcasses (carcii?) out and do a chicken soup.
Ever stopped to think about why we have so much cancer? Our protein sources are so loaded with junk chemicals and hormones that it eventually overwhelms our body's natural immunity to cancers.
No sir.....when I go, it won't be because of cancer....I will be shot at 100 years old by a jealous husband as I ravage his 25 year old wife.:bigsmyl2:

LAH
07-23-2014, 03:46 PM
I'd be willing to bet that if you knew what these were fed and the chemicals and antibiotics that were pumped into them, you just might change your mind.

I'm interested in their feed, chemicals & antibiotics? Would be nice to know your source as it would help us to make a choice. I hear much about animals being fed & given things which harm humans but haven't seen a source or list. Thanks guys.

nekshot
07-23-2014, 04:45 PM
I wish I could get young capons to grow, now thats GOOD eating!

MaryB
07-23-2014, 10:14 PM
Those rotisserie chickens are the ones from the meat counter that are past the sell by date... I won't go near those things.

Ed Barrett
07-24-2014, 12:25 PM
When I was kid we used to eat a lot of freak chickens, they had 4 drumsticks. When I was older I found out they were rabbits. My folks didn't want my little sister to know, she liked bunnys.

armexman
07-24-2014, 03:06 PM
MaryB,
Can you please let us know the source?
My daughter loves buying these and uses one up in a week for her and her husband's meals.
Want to put the brakes on that!

FISH4BUGS
07-24-2014, 03:21 PM
I'm interested in their feed, chemicals & antibiotics? Would be nice to know your source as it would help us to make a choice. I hear much about animals being fed & given things which harm humans but haven't seen a source or list. Thanks guys.

It is probably easier to purchase only from where you CAN find out what they are fed and what chemicals are used. Stores won't tell you, and you really have to dig. The stores use chemicals on the chicken and other meats to keep them fresher longer. The manufacturers pump them full of chemicals and hormones to get them to market as fast as they can.

Try some of these links:
http://notinmyfood.org/posts/2839-what-are-they-pumping-into-your-chicken
http://parentables.howstuffworks.com/health-wellness/they-put-what-my-chicken.html
http://www.pcrm.org/health/reports/the-five-worst-contaminants-in-chicken-products
http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/at-chicken-plants-chemicals-blamed-for-health-ailments-are-poised-to-proliferate/2013/04/25/d2a65ec8-97b1-11e2-97cd-3d8c1afe4f0f_story.html
....and that is just a start.

Read "Fast Food Nation".

People need to take control of their food supply. It is killing us at record rates, folks.
We all try to control the lead dust, smelting fumes, etc. You need to to the same with your food.
.....stepping down from my soap box now.

MaryB
07-24-2014, 08:35 PM
Friend worked for one and he said that was the source of the chicken, anything 1 day expired got cooked, if it didn't sell then it got tossed

MaryB,
Can you please let us know the source?
My daughter loves buying these and uses one up in a week for her and her husband's meals.
Want to put the brakes on that!

hardy
07-24-2014, 08:55 PM
Hi,Fish,All that organic food obviously stimulates your imagination.What a way to go!!!!LOL.Cheers,Mike

historicfirearms
07-25-2014, 11:42 AM
Here's a pic of my flock. Which one looks freaky? We will eat that one first.

unclebill
07-25-2014, 11:57 AM
Here's a pic of my flock. Which one looks freaky? We will eat that one first.

eat that fat sideways one.
heck
he's already in rotisserie position!

MaryB
07-26-2014, 12:43 AM
They all look freaky... standing on the side of a cliff