PDA

View Full Version : Made the trip to Camp Perry today (finally)

country gent
07-18-2014, 10:10 PM
Finally got the time lined up with a friend to hit commercial row At Camp Perry today ( only there during the national matches). Was going last monday but car went down. Got there today wore myself out walking the Huts. Fin Feather and fur had selections of powder and primers, powder 1lb and 8 lbs primers 1000 and cases. Fulton Armory was there with new built Garands carbines and M1As along with AR s and parts. Champions shooters supply is there wit some reloading components, coats gloves and gear along with some rifles. Champions Choice is there with accessories some firearms coats gloves targets and a few components. Springfield armory is set up with thier line of rifles pistols parts and memorbilia. Several selling T shirts and shooting related clothing. Rock river is there with thier line. Armalite is there with there line of wares along with bare uppers and lowers,parts. They had an AR50 "second" took me 15 mins to find it a light area in the finish, for $2400.00 in 50 BMG. Alot of uppers ready to go also. Both AR15 and AR10. Several that sell surpluss powders and bullets. Sevral Parts venders. One shop shopping here everything from components to gear to firearms. I saw 8 lbs kegs of bullsye being sold by the case. Varget Reloader series. most IMR and others. Federal win remington and cci primers by the case. If your with in the drive to Port Clinton Ohio it would be great to stock up. Also is CMP north at Camp Perry. Not sure what they have in stock, but normally you have to belong to an affiliated club to by from them. Was a great day seen some old friends picked up some things I wanted, and wore myself out walking. If your close they will be there till around the end of the month.

WILCO
07-18-2014, 10:47 PM
Great report! Did you snap any pics?

Powder Burn
07-18-2014, 11:02 PM
Reading your post made me drool all over my keyboard. Bought a couple of M1's at CMP a few years ago. It's about a 5 hour trip for me. Love to go some time.

1845greyhounds
07-18-2014, 11:15 PM
I think the next time I go I'll try to pick up 45 bullets from the ranges after the pistol phase. The bullets impact the grass field well before the pits. Back when I went to Perry every year, but didn't cast, I'd find 45 slugs a plenty. Image if you could mine the bullet reefs in the lake where all the high power bullets land. THAT would be sweet! I'd probably overload my boat and sink it.

WILCO
07-18-2014, 11:22 PM
I'd probably overload my boat and sink it.

That was quite a sight in my mind's eye! Thanks for the chuckle. :bigsmyl2:

country gent
07-18-2014, 11:22 PM
No pics as Thats my "Home" range when I was shooting NRA High Power was there pretty much every other weekend and 2 weeks in july august.Aboyr an hour drive for me. And to Powder Burn I bought grilled hot dogs from the Table to help support the Illinois hard dog Juniors. ( Illinois rifle and pistol assc). My buddie I went with bought a couple also. Not Tony Packos chilli dogs ( Toledo Ohio delicacy there) but were dang good and even had skins on them. Trust me if you saw the racks of shelving and pallets of powder primers and bullets youd have a heart attack and be wondering about the shortages. Only let down was sinclairs wasnt there this year. Ok webers has been gone for a few years now since Otto died. Fin Feater and Furs had close to 2o feet of the sheet metal shelve units 4 or 5 high stocked with various powder and almost as much with primers. Berger hornady sierra bullets were aboundant. Seeing this and wondering about the so called shortages now.

country gent
07-18-2014, 11:28 PM
There was a group that wanted to reclaim the lead from the lake. Base and military powers stopped it as erie ordanance next door did alot of testing of artillery and heavy ecplosive rounds during WW1, WW2, korea, Vietnam. Now just smaller stuff very occasionally. WW1 and WW2 pows were encamped there and helped wioth farm labor, had gardens on base and worked in the area. Camp Perry has been there since 1906. Alot of lead in the lake by now.

1845greyhounds
07-19-2014, 12:38 AM
I liked the stories about the US shooting artillery shells from Camp Perry onto the lake during the winter. As the story goes, the projectiles would slide across the ice into Canada.

Another thing I used to find on the ranges were light blue plastic training 50 cal bullets.

RED333
07-19-2014, 07:14 AM
Glad you got to go and had no worries this time, reload supplies are out there.

Alstep
07-19-2014, 01:45 PM
Country Gent, Otto Weber is very much alive as of a month or so ago when I talked to him. He's still in the mail order business, just slowing down due to age. Always a great gentleman to do business with.

DR Owl Creek
07-19-2014, 01:54 PM
I liked the stories about the US shooting artillery shells from Camp Perry onto the lake during the winter. As the story goes, the projectiles would slide across the ice into Canada...

Interesting story...

If you look at the maps of the area, the southern shore of Ontario is about 32 miles due north of Camp Perry. If they practiced firing in that direction, the shells would have to cross the shipping channels to the international ports at Toledo and Detroit/Windsor, which provide access between the upper Great Lakes and the St Lawrence Sea Way, and are some of the highest traffic shipping lanes in the world. If they fired to the north-east, the shells would have to cross over Catawba Island/Cedar Point/East Harbor, travel between South Bass Island (Put-In-Bay) and Kelley's Island, and go 20 miles to Peelee Island (Ontario)...

Dave

BruceB
07-19-2014, 03:49 PM
Don't forget..... the international boundary is right down the MIDDLE of the lake; it's not the shoreline.

1845greyhounds
07-19-2014, 05:40 PM
Thanks for the geography lesson... That was the story I heard over and over again. Apparently some high power competitors, myself included, don't know the geography near CP.

country gent
07-19-2014, 06:00 PM
I had heard that from some at the club sorry for the misinformation on Otto. I enjoyed doing buiness with them always was fairly treated and welcomed. When you bought something or were thinking about it they were always ready to answer qyestion and explain things, and they were capable and knowledgeable of what they spoke.