PDA

View Full Version : Tired of getting your game cams stolen?

Blood Trail
07-18-2014, 07:46 PM
I hunt a lot of public land and they're some areas I hunt where 3 180+ class deer as been taken the past 3 years. I've pulled some dandy bucks off trail cam there as well. But hunting public land, u always run the risk of having ur trash stolen. To combat that effort, I like to camo mine up with moss, bark, and sticks that u an buy at Hobby Lobby or find in your back yard. Works like a champ, too. I've lost my cam and spent an hour trying to find it. Had a hunter to walk by it lost for like 5 mins and never knew it was there.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/19/qamymyze.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/19/ysemu7e9.jpg

s mac
07-19-2014, 10:06 AM
Looks good. I have never owned one, but I've seen them in the woods, always wondered why someone would mount one out in the open instead of hidden in the brush.

Beagle333
07-19-2014, 10:40 AM
I want one that transmits the pics to a remote hidden unit, and then if/when a thief takes the camera part, I would.... um.. alert the proper authorities. :twisted: [smilie=1:

Blood Trail
07-19-2014, 11:21 AM
Here's pics on them in action.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/19/zysabemy.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/19/9unu7u8u.jpg

Beagle333
07-19-2014, 11:24 AM
That is really neat! I'm headed to Kroger in a minute, and there's a Hobby Lobby right next door. :D

forfun
07-19-2014, 11:34 AM
Great thanks for sharing

timbuck
07-19-2014, 11:35 AM
It might be the game warden. Up here you cant leave tree stands and ground blinds up over night on public land. I would guess game cameras also.

dragon813gt
07-19-2014, 12:01 PM
How about people don't steal property that isn't theirs to start w/. I hunt in private land and gave up w/ trail cams. They were stolen to often. Either by family members. Of the people that shouldn't even be on the property. Caught plenty of them on the cams when they were up. What they need is a GPS signal that can't be disabled and doesn't shut off just like iPhones have. I'd pay more money for one w/ this feature.

Piedmont
07-19-2014, 12:10 PM
I have a theory that sasquatch is stealing the cameras because pictures of them never show up on game cameras and according to the TV there are lots of them in about every state in the union.

Blanco
07-19-2014, 03:46 PM
Game cameras are the favorite snack of the Chupacabra

DougGuy
07-19-2014, 03:50 PM
Need to put a hidden game cam facing your game cam. That will tell you who it is!

alrighty
07-19-2014, 05:06 PM
Neat trick , what do you use to attach your camo?

Blanco
07-19-2014, 06:37 PM
There is a hunting forum here in Tx. Several of the guys that were having stuff stolen did just what you are talking about. I think several thieves have been caught with the method.

quack1
07-19-2014, 07:35 PM
The thing I see first on trail cameras is the strap going around the tree. Even from the backside, the strap stands out, not many natural things that make a straight, horizontal line around a tree trunk.
I like to smile and wave as I walk past them.

Blood Trail
07-19-2014, 09:00 PM
Can't see this strap unless u zoom in.

Blood Trail
07-19-2014, 09:01 PM
Neat trick , what do you use to attach your camo?

Hot glue gun.

Blood Trail
07-19-2014, 09:03 PM
There is a hunting forum here in Tx. Several of the guys that were having stuff stolen did just what you are talking about. I think several thieves have been caught with the method.

When that ideal hit me 3 years ago, I posted it on a lot of hunting forums. Wonder if they saw one of them. If so, sweet!

John Allen
07-19-2014, 09:12 PM
I have wanted to get dressed up in a gorilla suit and go by a camera late at night. It would be great to see the person who owns it expression.

Ehaver
07-19-2014, 09:19 PM
I have wanted to get dressed up in a gorilla suit and go by a camera late at night. It would be great to see the person who owns it expression.

That would be great. Hahaha

Blood Trail
07-19-2014, 11:44 PM
We photoshop 200 class deer on the new guys cam all the time. One guy got super ticked at us and we ain't spoken since. He spent all season chasing that 200 inch, double drop, split brows hawg. Damn near ruined his marriage over it, that ol boy stayed gone that much.

Yodogsandman
07-20-2014, 11:59 AM
Steel boxes and cable locks certainly don't work! The manufacturers should place passwords on game cameras to prevent the thieves from using them. A GPS tracker would also work. I personally WILL NOT ever buy another game cam again until they have a feature that prevents theft! I've lost too many. Having the photos was nice but, I can find deer without them.

NVScouter
07-21-2014, 10:24 AM
Any property abaondoned on public land is just that. No thievery and I for one hate trail cams on public land. I've seen plenty put up at trailheads with the sole purpose of seeing who else is around. Thats a violation of privacy and deserves a bullet to the cam.
I want one that transmits the pics to a remote hidden unit, and then if/when a thief takes the camera part, I would.... um.. alert the proper authorities. :twisted: [smilie=1:

Blood Trail
07-21-2014, 10:40 AM
Any property abaondoned on public land is just that. No thievery and I for one hate trail cams on public land. I've seen plenty put up at trailheads with the sole purpose of seeing who else is around. Thats a violation of privacy and deserves a bullet to the cam.

For one, it's on public land so there goes your privacy argument.
2. It's a trail cam. You have to leave it out in the woods 'abandoned' for it to work, Einstein.

I camo'd my cams to protect it from people like you.

If I actively caught someone jacking with my cams, ain't no talking involved. I'ma leave them leaking on the forest floor.

It's simple. Don't jack with people stuff. It's not yours. Don't want ur jaw broken, then leave peoples gear alone.

Cornbread
07-21-2014, 10:59 AM
They aren't legal in Montana or I would have them up on my property. I have a friend in Oregon that made a steel box for them to go in that lag bolts internally to the tree, or can use a chain. It has the lock up inside it like a timber gate so you can't get at it with a bolt cutters. The boxes were then camo painted. The only way to get it off the tree is with a sledge hammer.

I think he still makes and sells them, do you guys want me to get the info from him and post it here if he is still making them?

NVScouter
07-21-2014, 11:19 AM
I dont scare easily and could care less how you intend to use this thing. If you want it on your property I dont tresspass or jack with people's stuff. Spend more time in the wood and less tech to get your game. Thats the fun part Einstein.

Privacy is assumed and game cams are only really legal for privacy since taking pictures of people are incidental targets. IF you are intentionaly spying on trailheads you deserve what you get and more.

For one, it's on public land so there goes your privacy argument.
2. It's a trail cam. You have to leave it out in the woods 'abandoned' for it to work, Einstein.

I camo'd my cams to protect it from people like you.

If I actively caught someone jacking with my cams, ain't no talking involved. I'ma leave them leaking on the forest floor.

It's simple. Don't jack with people stuff. It's not yours. Don't want ur jaw broken, then leave peoples gear alone.

Blood Trail
07-21-2014, 11:24 AM
I dont scare easily and could care less how you intend to use this thing. If you want it on your property I dont tresspass or jack with people's stuff. Spend more time in the wood and less tech to get your game. Thats the fun part Einstein.

Privacy is assumed and game cams are only really legal for privacy since taking pictures of people are incidental targets. IF you are intentionaly spying on trailheads you deserve what you get and more.

If it's legal on public land where u hunt, then why mess with someone's stuff? Just becuz you don't like it? Buy ur own land and hunt it. And how do you know ppl are using them for spying on you? Oh, I get it, deer never walk trails that humans walk, so they must be spying on you.

Take off ur tin foil hat, brother, no one cares about you. You don't have antlers. Leave ppl stuff alone or run the risk of getting beat up.

NVScouter
07-21-2014, 12:18 PM
If it's legal on public land where u hunt, then why mess with someone's stuff? Just becuz you don't like it? Buy ur own land and hunt it. And how do you know ppl are using them for spying on you? Oh, I get it, deer never walk trails that humans walk, so they must be spying on you.

Take off ur tin foil hat, brother, no one cares about you. You don't have antlers. Leave ppl stuff alone or run the risk of getting beat up.

I have my own land, I also hunt lost of public lands. Why shouldnt I? I pay my taxes, vote, donate to Acess Yes, buy licesness. Out West its reasonable to think you can be left alone in the boonies. I can drive a long way then hike in and not see another person. If I do that person worked as hard as me to get there and 100% of the time I like that guy and will BS a bit and help em if I can. If this is so important to you why dont you get your own land to hunt on?

I dont think you understand what a trail head. G&F uses remote game cams here to monitor populations and preditors like wolves and grizzly bears. Nobody messes with those, they serve a purpose we all benifit from. Putting up cameras on public land in access areas is spying and one agency got in some trouble for it recently...no tin foil hat here. Its called the law.

Game cams are also not legal here in hunting season. They should be reported or removed and turned into G&F like any other violation. Abandoned property is also not protected, and can be treated like any other littereing. I've never seen that happen but there is no fine for removing abandoned property either.

Last bit for you. IF you feel that braging about wanting to murder somebody on a public forum, and threatening to beat up everybody will get you anywhere you are wrong. This forum has mostly civilized conversations and disagreements. Being an E-tough guy is a waste, will get you banned, and subject to monitoring like any other public domain. Acting like this in person will end with you in jail, or meeting somebody that might put you in the ground. Hunting isnt about killing the biggest buck 100% of the time, or being king macho hunter man. Maybe you need to look into what you're really getting out of it.

As far as brothers I have plenty. They earned that by standing with me in combat not BSing on the internet.

Blood Trail
07-21-2014, 12:59 PM
I have my own land, I also hunt lost of public lands. Why shouldnt I? I pay my taxes, vote, donate to Acess Yes, buy licesness. Out West its reasonable to think you can be left alone in the boonies. I can drive a long way then hike in and not see another person. If I do that person worked as hard as me to get there and 100% of the time I like that guy and will BS a bit and help em if I can. If this is so important to you why dont you get your own land to hunt on?

I dont think you understand what a trail head. G&F uses remote game cams here to monitor populations and preditors like wolves and grizzly bears. Nobody messes with those, they serve a purpose we all benifit from. Putting up cameras on public land in access areas is spying and one agency got in some trouble for it recently...no tin foil hat here. Its called the law.

Game cams are also not legal here in hunting season. They should be reported or removed and turned into G&F like any other violation. Abandoned property is also not protected, and can be treated like any other littereing. I've never seen that happen but there is no fine for removing abandoned property either.

Last bit for you. IF you feel that braging about wanting to murder somebody on a public forum, and threatening to beat up everybody will get you anywhere you are wrong. This forum has mostly civilized conversations and disagreements. Being an E-tough guy is a waste, will get you banned, and subject to monitoring like any other public domain. Acting like this in person will end with you in jail, or meeting somebody that might put you in the ground. Hunting isnt about killing the biggest buck 100% of the time, or being king macho hunter man. Maybe you need to look into what you're really getting out of it.

As far as brothers I have plenty. They earned that by standing with me in combat not BSing on the internet.

Murder? I don't believe I ever mentioned that. Let me check.....nope. Not one word. And I'm not bragging about nothing. If someone has the balls to steal someone stuff, then they run the chance of getting their face smashed in. I didn't threaten you or anybody on this thread. But please believe me when I say what ill do if I caught someone messing with my stuff.

I hate a thief worse than anything. How dare someone unlawfully take something that is t their's, stealing from a fellow hunter. That despicable in every way imaginable. I care how much taxes you pay, that still don't give you the right to steal or damage someone stuff.
And you been to combat too? You're not the only on. Semper Fi. That has nothing to do with u stealing.

Ad if you are, you will get caught and I hope you get what's coming to ya.

No internet tuffguy here, just a guy who lives to hunt and hates people like you messing with someone's stuff.

Carry on.

onceabull
07-21-2014, 02:52 PM
The last internet "tough guy" I remember here was going to "break both your legs if you said XXXXXXX to his face".. Nowadays it seems he spends most of his time on another site among people of similar mindset....... Onceabull

RoyEllis
07-21-2014, 03:00 PM
Murder? I don't believe I ever mentioned that. Let me check.....nope. Not one word...... But please believe me when I say what ill do if I caught someone messing with my stuff.

"If I actively caught someone jacking with my cams, ain't no talking involved. I'ma leave them leaking on the forest floor." Direct quote from your post above, and a reference to "leave them leaking on the forest floor" would take no leap of imagination from a jury that you had premeditated intent to shoot said person. Express lane to death row.....
I can't stand thieves either, but making thinly veiled death threats on public forums is just as smart as slamming yer johnson in a door intentionally. JMHO tho.......

Geraldo
07-21-2014, 03:23 PM
Any property abandoned on public land is just that.

So if I leave my truck off a fire road you'd consider it abandoned? Destroying other people's stuff no matter where you find is childish vandalism at best and malicious destruction at worst, not that the OP's response is any better.

Let me know where you guys hunt, I'll avoid both places.

Blood Trail
07-21-2014, 03:23 PM
I wouldn't kill anyone of a game camera. Ain't that serious. But they have some explaining to do.

You guys taking it as death threats. That's fine if you see it that way. I was talking about knocking someone out.

This thread really took a wrong turn. That wasn't my intent.

I posted a topic on how to conceal your cams. This guy posts on how he objects to them and has the right to steal or destroy them simply because he pays taxes.

All I'm saying is someone like that deserves to have their butt handed to them if the get caught.

Geraldo
07-21-2014, 03:36 PM
This thread really took a wrong turn.

That's for sure, and you're right that anyone destroying other people's stuff has some explaining to do.

Back on topic, thanks for the idea. I'll camo my camera up in hopes that thieves and vandals don't see it.

Someone asked why not hide them in a bush, and the answer is that too much vegetation plays hell with the motion sensor, flash, and resulting pics. Leaves in particular reflect the IR light back into the lens when it takes a picture.

gtgeorge
07-21-2014, 04:10 PM
Very nice blood trail. I am pretty sure if I had a trail camera camo'd up like that I would think it was stolen as I would never find it again LOL. I had one once that I used in my back yard over feed to watch all the critters that passed through my yard. Finally I found my mother needed it worse than I did to find out what was tipping her bird feeders etc. It showed her that even on 1/2 acre with lots of neighbors that a lot of wildlife shows up at night :)

I hunt public land almost solely and wouldn't think of using a trail cam and worry if I leave a blind or stand over night or even to go to lunch. I hate thieves like most but best when sharing the free domain to leave it as you find it and tote your stuff with you.

I am a hunter by need and desire without looking for the biggest one out there. I do it the old fashion way without the cameras but will never fault anyone for using the tools available.

Either way both sides can get along and I still think it is great to see someone post info that has helped them as that is what makes this site great. Yep the thieves are scumbags but I hope none of us here would qualify as one. Now to find a new trail cam to decorate and hang out back to see what is around these days.....

jmorris
07-23-2014, 11:51 PM

Or get shot by the first person to ever bag a Bigfoot.

southpaw
07-27-2014, 06:17 PM
Any property abaondoned on public land is just that.

What is your stance on trapping? That would be property that was "abandoned" in the woods, right?

I wouldn't kill anyone of a game camera. Ain't that serious. But they have some explaining to do.

You guys taking it as death threats. That's fine if you see it that way. I was talking about knocking someone out.

That's what I thought you were talking about. Why do some people jump to the worst conclusion? We are talking about a catching a thief not a child molester.

Thanks for the idea BT

Jerry Jr.

NVScouter
07-27-2014, 09:38 PM
So if I leave my truck off a fire road you'd consider it abandoned? Destroying other people's stuff no matter where you find is childish vandalism at best and malicious destruction at worst, not that the OP's response is any better.

Let me know where you guys hunt, I'll avoid both places.

no that is a registered vehicle. Pulling at straws aren't we?

NVScouter
07-27-2014, 09:39 PM
What is your stance on trapping? That would be property that was "abandoned" in the woods, right?

That's what I thought you were talking about. Why do some people jump to the worst conclusion? We are talking about a catching a thief not a child molester.

Thanks for the idea BT

Jerry Jr.

well since it's illegal to tamper/remove legally placed traps I find this question silly at best.

NVScouter
07-27-2014, 09:57 PM

This thread really took a wrong turn. That wasn't my intent.

I posted a topic on how to conceal your cams. This guy posts on how he objects to them and has the right to steal or destroy them simply because he pays taxes.

All I'm saying is someone like that deserves to have their butt handed to them if the get caught.

yeah sure. Because you leak on the forest floor from getting knocked out. You said it own it.

You admittitany posted this on many forums for personal fame and admiration. You claim you were the first and copied. While I like your camo job I still think this has nothing to do with hunting.

I've been getting the hay out of the property you say I should own the last few days so didn't reply. I could have been nastier but that is not the nature of this forum and wouldn't disrespect the other members by doing so. So I ask "What have you gotten out your trail cam, and how is it better than scouting?" I'm not baiting you, simply looking for your point of view.

BruceB
07-27-2014, 10:26 PM
Regardless of the rights or wrongs of interfering with trail cameras owned by someone else, one thing is very plain to me.

Threatening physical violence to anyone, let alone actually USING physical violence against anyone, can be considered to be placing that person in fear of his life.

If the assaulted person assesses the risk in that manner, he is justified in resisting the assault, even to the degree of killing the assailant. Physical assaults, without actual weapons like knives or guns, kill huge numbers in this country every year, and therefore a person being assaulted is quite correct to consider the attack to be life-threatening.

If the person threatened is a hunter.... guess what he has in his possession?

The macho attitude of "I'm gonna knock him out/ leave him "leaking" on the ground" could easily leave the assailant DEAD.... and justifiably so, when we consider the number of people killed each year with hands and feet.

A game camera isn't worth anyone's life..... is it?

DrCaveman
07-27-2014, 10:50 PM
Nice camo on the trail cam. Since we dont all have a quarter million in the bank to buy property, and there is a lot of competition on public lands, might as well take some logical steps to help reduce the likelihood of some jackrock stealing the camera

Im shopping around for the right cam...if it gets stolen while i am not there, then i can credit that to poorly raised children with no sense of ethics. You bet that if i caught them they would bleed out of at least one orifice. Like bad dogs, they sometimes require physical discipline

Dont flick around other people's stuff, and we wouldnt even need this thread. I wanted to think that members of this forum wouldnt even need to be told such a thing, but the comments about 'abandoned property' make me wonder

Blood Trail
07-27-2014, 11:50 PM
[emoji115][emoji115]this.

southpaw
07-28-2014, 12:03 AM
well since it's illegal to tamper/remove legally placed traps I find this question silly at best.

How is it any different with a legally placed trail camera? How is someone taking the time to secure a trail camera to a tree abandoning it? Remember you are on PUBLIC property. That means photos of you may be taken without your consent. Instead of avoiding or ignoring the camera you advocate destruction of personal property. If it is legal leave them alone, if not then simple report it to game commision. Simple as that.

It is obvious that you do not like trail camers. Given the amount of trail cameras that are sold each year you better get used to seeing them or stay on your own property. Not being mean but they are a very popular tool.

I have no reason to stray off of the farm but I do from time to time. I just act as tho I am a guest on someone elses property. It has worked good for me on both public land and other private property.

I guess I should add that I do not own a trail camera but I do realize that they are just another tool for us to use. With family and work I know I don't have as much time to spend in the woods as I would like. It seems the cameras would help make the most out of your limited time.

Jerry Jr.

Blood Trail
07-28-2014, 12:16 AM
[emoji115][emoji115][emoji115]this, too.

southpaw
07-28-2014, 12:17 AM
Regardless of the rights or wrongs of interfering with trail cameras owned by someone else, one thing is very plain to me.

Threatening physical violence to anyone, let alone actually USING physical violence against anyone, can be considered to be placing that person in fear of his life.

If the assaulted person assesses the risk in that manner, he is justified in resisting the assault, even to the degree of killing the assailant. Physical assaults, without actual weapons like knives or guns, kill huge numbers in this country every year, and therefore a person being assaulted is quite correct to consider the attack to be life-threatening.

If the person threatened is a hunter.... guess what he has in his possession?

The macho attitude of "I'm gonna knock him out/ leave him "leaking" on the ground" could easily leave the assailant DEAD.... and justifiably so, when we consider the number of people killed each year with hands and feet.

A game camera isn't worth anyone's life..... is it?

Even when they are in the middle of breaking the law? They are messing with your stuff and are possing a threat to you. If they put the camera down and are politely waiting for the authorities to show up and you start beating them then, yea, they should be able to defend themselves. Chances are its not gonna go down that way and they are the agressor since they are the thief. Right? But if you catch him and grab him by the shirt and put him up against a tree he has no right to harm you.

Jerry Jr.

azrednek
07-28-2014, 12:27 AM
I like to smile and wave as I walk past them.

Friend of mine got a picture of three people mooning his camera. He said he was fortunate that they discovered it, "posed" for the picture but left his camera alone. He has had one disappear on him.

ubetcha
08-07-2014, 08:03 AM
I have wanted to get dressed up in a gorilla suit and go by a camera late at night. It would be great to see the person who owns it expression..

My son have some hunting property with some very good neighbor that have a great sense of humor. One of the neighbor did just that with a gorilla suit. My son was up cutting the grass and knew that a game camera was located at the edge of the area he was cutting, so he stop cutting out of range of the camera , took off all of his clothes and continued to cut grass in his birthday suit. After a few rounds he stopped and put his clothes back on and continued with the cutting. Never heard what the outcome of that was. All the people that have adjacent property get along very good. Each has permission to hunt each other land. They do QDM and every one helps with food plots and other needed work

Elkins45
08-08-2014, 01:37 PM
I don't use trail cameras, so I don't really care, but I find it interesting that the
person who interjected privacy and abandonment into the conversation also said they aren't legal to use during hunting season in his state. That statement would seem to imply they are legal before and after. So there would be a big difference in how to deal with them depending on when they are spotted. You know what one does when confronted with an activity they don't approve of, but is legal? Nothing, that's what they do, otherwise they are the lawbreakers themselves.

There are no privacy expectations on public land: walk around naked in a state park campground if you don't believe me. And don't get me started on the satellites... :)

Beagle333
08-08-2014, 02:35 PM
There are no privacy expectations on public land: walk around naked in a state park campground if you don't believe me. ... :)

That was you laughing in Big Bone Lick? I thought it was dark enough that nobody could see me!!!!:oops::oops::oops:

:kidding:

phantom15
08-16-2014, 10:48 PM
looks good...I'm gonna give it a try