PDA

View Full Version : is this a senior moment???

nekshot
07-18-2014, 02:08 PM
Duh, this morning I was happily thanking the Good Lord for creating man to invent Trail Boss so us mere mortals don't have to worry about double loading and after much cautious and vigilant reloading of these specific rounds I sat down at the range excitedly expecting to put 3 shots into a small cloverleaf and as I touched off the load all I could hear was CLICK! Hmm, never had this happen with TB I thought as I extracted the cartridge and when I looked at the primer - yup it was dented so I looked at the others and they were all dented! Sure helps to put knew primers in!! Alright, some of you have done this kinda stuff also...

Love Life
07-18-2014, 02:10 PM
How did you manage that? I usually toss my old primers.

Pb2au
07-18-2014, 02:18 PM
New primers usually work way better than used ones in my experience.........:kidding:

Do you normally re-size for that cartridge? What I am getting at is either you forgot to de-cap, or put the old ones back in!
Either way, yet another new mystery is revealed here on the forum!

fastfire
07-18-2014, 02:54 PM
That's a moment in a senior day, When I size the primer is pushed out, You better check in see if the de-priming pin isn't broke.

Artful
07-18-2014, 03:11 PM
That's a moment in a senior day, When I size the primer is pushed out, You better check in see if the de-priming pin isn't broke.

ding ding ding - winner winner - but that doesn't explain about not noticing that the new primer was seated.

nekshot
07-18-2014, 03:31 PM
you fellas are sharp and now my sins are finding me out! I would not call myself lazy lets just say I like shortcuts. The phrase cautious and vigilant was me being sarcastic at myself because I often knock out and prime only. You know just pour in the powder and seat boolit and crimp. Well I thought these were primed and I was inserting boolit by hand and using a door and the jamb to push in boolit to desired depth and crimp if I want to. Of course I only use these streamlined methods when the gun and cartridges stay together and are not intermixed with other guns, preferably the same caliber!!!lol This specific gun is really accurate with these loads!

foesgth
07-18-2014, 04:32 PM
Thank you sir, for you time and effort in doing this test. The rest of us now no longer have to wonder if a primer will work twice! Not a senior moment but a gift of your time.

captaint
07-18-2014, 05:09 PM
I'm sorry....that's funny, man. Click !! Hope you had some other ammo or gun and ammo in the bag ?

RED333
07-18-2014, 05:55 PM
Ya know stuff happens,

WallyM3
07-18-2014, 06:30 PM
Yea, I've tried recycling, too.

SSGOldfart
07-18-2014, 06:39 PM
Hmmm that's a new one for me

dilly
07-18-2014, 06:41 PM
Now that's critical thinking. If I were set to making a whole box of dud ammo, I would go through all the trouble of trying to deactivate good primers.

wild thing
07-18-2014, 08:26 PM
Used primers are cheaper to use. You save on primers ,lead and powder. Not senior moment but frugal. John

slughammer
07-18-2014, 08:33 PM
..... I was inserting boolit by hand and using a door and the jamb to push in boolit to desired depth and crimp if I want to.....!

Seriously, you are my hero! This is the best have heard....ever!

Goatwhiskers
07-18-2014, 10:38 PM
Never did that, but I can assure you that 1680 powder will flow thru a flash-hole into the loading block and all over the counter when you lift out the case for boolit seating. GW

nekshot
07-19-2014, 08:42 AM
Never did that, but I can assure you that 1680 powder will flow thru a flash-hole into the loading block and all over the counter when you lift out the case for boolit seating. GW

Yup, done that a few times but the primer deal the other day was my first. The advantage to shortcuts for me is my range shooting table is about 100 feet from my shop. When working for loads I shoot 3 shot groubs and walk into shop and in 5 minutes or so I am shooting another load. When I can keep 3 shots together than I work more with that given combination. In 1 hour I can find out alot about a gun and what it prefers. Saves gas and driving time!

nvbirdman
07-19-2014, 04:15 PM
That was definitely a senior moment, I don't remember ever doing anything like that.
Of course I have trouble remembering yesterday, or what day today is, or ------- what were we talking about?

Idaho Mule
07-19-2014, 04:32 PM
So does AA #9. JW