PDA

View Full Version : Why All The "Tactical" Airguns?

alamogunr
07-18-2014, 12:46 PM
I browse the airgun suppliers sites occasionally and am always amazed at the variety of airguns that are copies of various "tactical" firearms. If they didn't sell they wouldn't be available but I fail to see the purpose. I do see a purpose in the copies of various handguns in that maybe they are close enough to the real thing to be useful for cheap practice.

Can anyone enlighten me?

dtknowles
07-18-2014, 01:29 PM
Toys, fantasy, just what they see on TV or the Internet. They don't understand that from should follow function. Most people just buy what is on the shelf that looks cool.

Tim

MT Chambers
07-18-2014, 02:48 PM
It's the same as the interest in AR type powder burners, mostly for posing, in that case a semi auto .223 or .308. I can see no value in this either PB or airgun, just a bad fitting stock without proper and repeatable cheek weld.

GhostHawk
07-18-2014, 09:57 PM
Well they work better than airsoft guns, which is the only other option most of the younger people can afford. From the reading I've seen some of them shoot surprisingly well. And they do appeal to the younger audience.

Me, well I chose a Sheridan Blue Streak back in 77, which I still have an still shoot, so you can guess where I stand.

Personally I think if I was 21 again, I'd be a lot more tempted to save some bucks and buy an SKS than an air rifle.

But Air rifles do give you some good shooting for less money spent as a general rule. That won't be true for a whole lot longer though if pellet prices keep going up.

HARRYMPOPE
07-19-2014, 10:36 PM
It's the same as the interest in AR type powder burners, mostly for posing, in that case a semi auto .223 or .308. I can see no value in this either PB or airgun, just a bad fitting stock without proper and repeatable cheek weld.

I couldn't agree more. But even the traditional airguns need to do something better about the scope rails and make them a weaver so you don't have to put the riser block with a droop compensator and then you can't get up on the scope at all

GARD72977
07-20-2014, 12:23 PM
I couldn't agree more. But even the traditional airguns need to do something better about the scope rails and make them a weaver so you don't have to put the riser block with a droop compensator and then you can't get up on the scope at all

+1 on the scope rails. Just bought a 1700p crosman and it would be so much better to have a weaver rail.

W.R.Buchanan
07-20-2014, 12:30 PM
The guns you're talking about get used in a variety of ways most of which have been mentioned above.

There was a Japanese guy who won the Steel Challenge a few years ago. he lived in Japan and was not allowed to own Firearms. So he practiced with an Airsoft Gun all year long. He took his vacation every year in the US and came to the Steel challenge when it was located in Piru CA, and shot a gun he owned that was kept by someone living here. The only live fire he got each year was a week before the event and the event itself. He was really good, but his lack of live fire trigger time eventually bit him.

I saw his win on TV and decided to attend the next year since I live only 45 min from Piru CA. That year he ND'd on the line and was sent home, and he hasn't been seen since. I saw him leaving the line after his misfire and he looked like he was going to commit Hari- Kari. He was super embarrassed.

There are several pretty good semi auto BB pistols. however I have yet to see a good rifle. I also have not seen a Glock replica that actually shoots right, and looks and feels like a Glock. I don't understand this myself as there is definitely a market. I have seen an airsoft Glock that ran like a real gun including the slide function . It was nearly $200 and was pretty neat, but it only shot the plastic pellets. We want lead at about 400fps!

I would buy a Glock that shot .177 pellets semi auto and had a slide that functioned. A Glock like trigger is needed as well.

This would be practice gun for shooting IDPA and various other events.

Having an AR that functioned like a real gun would be a boon to practicing for 3 gun shoots.

So far the problem with all of these guns is that they are one click above plastic toys. If they would get serious like the Germans did with Air Rifles they would sell everyone they made.

Guns like these described above would be the perfect practice gun for home use. Being able to shoot meaningful practice in your garage is something many people who shot competitively would want to buy. Myself included.

Randy

GARD72977
07-20-2014, 03:19 PM
The guns you're talking about get used in a variety of ways most of which have been mentioned above.

There was a Japanese guy who won the Steel Challenge a few years ago. he lived in Japan and was not allowed to own Firearms. So he practiced with an Airsoft Gun all year long. He took his vacation every year in the US and came to the Steel challenge when it was located in Piru CA, and shot a gun he owned that was kept by someone living here. The only live fire he got each year was a week before the event and the event itself. He was really good, but his lack of live fire trigger time eventually bit him.

I saw his win on TV and decided to attend the next year since I live only 45 min from Piru CA. That year he ND'd on the line and was sent home, and he hasn't been seen since. I saw him leaving the line after his misfire and he looked like he was going to commit Hari- Kari. He was super embarrassed.

There are several pretty good semi auto BB pistols. however I have yet to see a good rifle. I also have not seen a Glock replica that actually shoots right, and looks and feels like a Glock. I don't understand this myself as there is definitely a market. I have seen an airsoft Glock that ran like a real gun including the slide function . It was nearly $200 and was pretty neat, but it only shot the plastic pellets. We want lead at about 400fps!

I would buy a Glock that shot .177 pellets semi auto and had a slide that functioned. A Glock like trigger is needed as well.

This would be practice gun for shooting IDPA and various other events.

Having an AR that functioned like a real gun would be a boon to practicing for 3 gun shoots.

So far the problem with all of these guns is that they are one click above plastic toys. If they would get serious like the Germans did with Air Rifles they would sell everyone they made.

Guns like these described above would be the perfect practice gun for home use. Being able to shoot meaningful practice in your garage is something many people who shot competitively would want to buy. Myself included.

Randy

I have a WE airsoft glock 34. If is a lot of fun to practice with. I will be the first to admit it is a toy but if you us it for simulation it helps a lot.

a.squibload
07-20-2014, 08:26 PM
Same concept, different category: friend took his 9-yo to get a BB gun, the salesman
assumed she would want the one with the pink stock. She expressed an interest
in a "real one". Smart kid, shoots well, will be getting a .22 in the near future.

Anyway just like cars, whatever they think will sell, even if it's butt-ugly.

GT27
07-20-2014, 10:02 PM
You could print TACTICAL on a dog turd and someone would buy it!! Reminds me of the movie Pure Country(George Strait) played in,when the old man asked him if he knew what the white on top of chicken s..t is? He then said It's still just that chicken s..t!! The exception in the modern world now it would be known TACTICAL chicken s..t!:Bright idea: