PDA

View Full Version : LPG flare union connection help.

tommag
07-18-2014, 09:20 AM
111005I'm putting in a new water heater in my travel trailer. It's been a long time since I've used a flare tool, and I cant seem to get a leak free connection. The first time, I didn't chamfer the inside of the tubing and the flare looked terrible. After several attempts, I got a better looking flare, but it still leaks.
The flaring tool I am using is a cheaper one from Home Depot, and there is some copper build up on the tool from previous attempts. Could the copper that has been deposited on there be the problem?
I went so far as to lube the tool, hoping to cut down on galling the inside of the flare.

oneokie
07-18-2014, 10:16 AM
You want the square end of the tubing flush with the surface of the clamping blocks. Do not apply excessive force to the handle of the screw. One can make the tubing too thin for a good seal by using too much torque on the screw.

tommag
07-18-2014, 10:21 AM
Thanks, Oneokie. I used a copper solvent to clean the copper from the flaring tool, and discovered the surface of the expander was rough. Don't know if it was a mistake or not, but used some 1600 grit to polish it a bit.

tommag
07-18-2014, 12:45 PM
Yay, no leak! Thanks again.

Johnch
07-19-2014, 08:50 AM
One simple trick I use
Is to lube the flare ing tool
I use a teflone based pipe dope

Lubing may not always be needed
But it just takes a few seconds and I almost never had a leak on those flares

John

Mk42gunner
07-19-2014, 09:27 AM
I kind of hate to admit this, since I used to do plumbing and appliance repair on a professional basis; but the only times I can remember making a perfect flare the first try, was when I forgot to put the flare nut on the tubing. I never remember having one leak though.

Really makes you appreciate being under the house where the customer isn't watching like a hawk.

Robert

Petrol & Powder
07-19-2014, 09:36 AM
Failing to put the flare nut on the tubing before making the flare will guarantee a perfect flare with the same probability as getting a flat tire when you don't have a spare ! [smilie=s:

country gent
07-19-2014, 09:44 AM
Ive fought the cheap flare tools many times and watched man who delivers propane to the house do a flare. His tool was alot diffrent from mine. ard to describe it , I made 3 flares with it on scrape and all came out perfect first time. Didnt seem to take near the force to use either.

Zymurgy50
07-19-2014, 12:40 PM
I kind of hate to admit this, since I used to do plumbing and appliance repair on a professional basis; but the only times I can remember making a perfect flare the first try, was when I forgot to put the flare nut on the tubing. I never remember having one leak though.

Really makes you appreciate being under the house where the customer isn't watching like a hawk.

Robert

Or putting the flare nut on backwards.........................

Petrol & Powder
07-19-2014, 12:52 PM
Or putting the flare nut on backwards.........................

I might just invent a new cuss word or two in that situation.

bear67
07-19-2014, 06:02 PM
The best flaring tools have facets (flats) on the tool. Get you a set of Imperial flaring tools and cutting tools and you will be in no leak heaven. My father was in LPG business for 50 years and they sold Imperial when wholesale and he used them for service after he bought into a retail dealership. Back in the early 70's, we were getting some foreign copper tubing that split half the time.

MT Gianni
07-19-2014, 11:22 PM
As a reminder neither flare nor compression fittings should ever get pipe dope. If the threads are stiff put some oil or liquid soap on them. A dab of glycerin works well but few have it laying around.