PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of Benchrest...

S.R.Custom
01-22-2008, 05:04 PM
If you were to build a cast bullet rifle with absolutely nothing but accuracy in mind what would it be? Caliber... Boolit... Cartridge... bbl twist... action... powder... alloy... etc?

SPRINGFIELDM141972
01-22-2008, 05:13 PM
This ought to open a can of worm:)

Everett

felix
01-22-2008, 05:23 PM
16 twist 8mm at 35-40 grain capacity using 180 grainers or less. Best overall success right off the bat. Groove-land ratio at 60-40, land height at 005, close throated using long neck case. As gun wears the boolit can be extended outwards with zero neck holding problems. Have custom knock out dies made for the gun. Modern 32-40 cartridge. Not enough range (for the expense) using the Miller sized cases. ... felix

brshooter
01-22-2008, 06:48 PM
I favor the 38-55, using a wilson button type case sizer and a wilson type bullet seater. It is quite an accurate cartridge.

Larry Gibson
01-22-2008, 07:08 PM
With just accuracy in mind;

Nesika action

Bench rest synthetic stock

My .308 poor man's CBC (shortened .308 with '06 length neck) or perhaps the 30x57 (8x57
sized in a shortened '06 die setting the shoulder back so the case has the '06 length neck)

A bullet similar to Bass's 154 LBT if not that bullet in a mould that would drop them at .309"

Probably a WW+40% linotype alloy but would have to experiment

Chamber cut to tight match tolerances with .001 neck clearence and leade cut to match LBT
bullet with base of bullet at base of neck

26" heavy target barrel with 16" twist/.300" bore with .308" groove depth/4 equal width
land and grooves

Would test powders from medium (H4895) up through slower powders (H4831SC)

I would expect best accuracy between 100,000 and 120,000 RPM

Larry Gibson

waksupi
01-22-2008, 09:37 PM
Larry, Nesika is now Phoenix Precision Machining, based out of Kalispell. Glen should have some new actions available to see at the SHOT show.

With just accuracy in mind;

Nesika action

Bench rest synthetic stock

My .308 poor man's CBC (shortened .308 with '06 length neck) or perhaps the 30x57 (8x57
sized in a shortened '06 die setting the shoulder back so the case has the '06 length neck)

A bullet similar to Bass's 154 LBT if not that bullet in a mould that would drop them at .309"

Probably a WW+40% linotype alloy but would have to experiment

Chamber cut to tight match tolerances with .001 neck clearence and leade cut to match LBT
bullet with base of bullet at base of neck

26" heavy target barrel with 16" twist/.300" bore with .308" groove depth/4 equal width
land and grooves

Would test powders from medium (H4895) up through slower powders (H4831SC)

I would expect best accuracy between 100,000 and 120,000 RPM

Larry Gibson

Larry Gibson
01-22-2008, 09:52 PM
I read in Varmint Hunter there was going to be a change but have been so busy lately I've not kept track. Thanks

My second choice for an action would be a Stolle action. However, truth be known I'm not into the "just for accuracy" mode. I'll probably rebarrel a sporterized M98 that I've hunted with for years. It's '06 throat is very rough these days and she doesn't have much life left. I'll probably put a 26" barrel on it with a 14" twist chabered in the 30x57. I'd like to push the 411041 at 2400 to 2500 fps for deer hunting while keeping accuracy under 1 1/2 MOA. If I ever do get retired I'll see how it works in my Palma .308 with 14" twist. If it works out the M98 will get rebarreled. So much to do, not enough time.......

Larry Gibson

Bass Ackward
01-23-2008, 08:27 AM
Never a dollar in mind? I can't think that way. Can't even imagine what it would be like.

Cast doesn't create the vibration frequency of jacketed. So there is less need for an expensive, rigid action because you only need to hold the barrel weight without springing the action.

Savage sells a single shot action now that's worth considering for lead. @ $500.

brshooter
01-23-2008, 10:22 AM
I like the BAT actions, smoother, tighter and more accurately machined than a Stolle. I have had 4 Stolle actions and none compare to a BAT. I have never had a bolt handle come off a Bat bolt like I did with a Stolle. Then it took them six months and $ 55 to repair, real quality my foot. Got rid of all four of them and never looked back with a BAT action. Had a Stolle Polar on a rail gun, heat build up caused the scope mounted on the action to lift 1/2 a ring at 100 yards after 4 rounds and after 8 rounds lifted the entire ring. Jim Stekl (noted Remington Engineer) had the same problem with his Stolle Polar, both of us dumped the Polars. No matter how you polish the Stolle action, the bolt seems to drag on the aluminum railways, copious use of lubricant solves problem, but collects dirt and dust and you are just like you were when you started. The BAT bolt slides like glass on glass.

redneckdan
01-23-2008, 11:58 AM
don't sell the mauser actions short when dealing with cast. the rifle I built this summer does okay with jacketed buts shoots like a house a'fire with cast in the 2000-2200fps range.

MGySgt
01-23-2008, 09:08 PM
You folks are going to kill me.

I just about had it settled - I have a LR M98 that I have had in the safe for darn near 40 years. I always thought I would build a 35 Whelen with it.

Lately I have still been thinking 35 Cal but What about the 35 Rem - Then I looked at the 358 Winchester and had decided that is the way I would go.

Why 35? Normally good accuracy and with Cast or J good hunting rounds.

Now I gotta re-think everything.

Thanks Guys - that rifle will have to be built by one of my Grand kids at this rate! :(

Drew

waksupi
01-23-2008, 11:03 PM
I agree on the Batt actions. They are a real piece of metal working art. Once you handle a top quality action, it makes it hard to want any thing else. We recently did a left hand P.O. Ackley Mauser for Craig Boddington. For a custom action, I really did expect a little better quality, but with some work, it developed into a real fine action. I guess Parker couldn't inspect every one of them! There were only 50 of these ever made, so maybe the finish standards weren't up to what the right hand ones would have been. Don't know, as I have never had my hands on one of those.

And Mgysgt, your selection of the .358 Winchester, shows that you are a man of intelligence, and refinement!

Larry Gibson
01-23-2008, 11:15 PM
You folks are going to kill me.

I just about had it settled - I have a LR M98 that I have had in the safe for darn near 40 years. I always thought I would build a 35 Whelen with it.

Lately I have still been thinking 35 Cal but What about the 35 Rem - Then I looked at the 358 Winchester and had decided that is the way I would go.

Why 35? Normally good accuracy and with Cast or J good hunting rounds.

Now I gotta re-think everything.

Thanks Guys - that rifle will have to be built by one of my Grand kids at this rate! :(

Drew

Don't sell the M98 short, note in my previous posts that is probably the way I will go. Any of the 3 .35s you mentioned are good but if i ever get tired of the .35 Remington I will go with w 35x57 (similar to the 9x57 but not the same). The 35x57 is simply made by shortening a .35 Whelen die so a 8x57 when sized in it has the shoulder set back so it has the longer neck. The longer neck is best with cast bullets as it contains the lube grooves without the GC being below the case neck. The case also has the Mauser taper and feeding is slicker than snot through the action. The case is the right sized for the magazine and heavier bullets can be seated to mag length without encroaching on cast capacity. Should also give optimum loading density for 220+ gr cast bullets for 2200+ fps, truely an awesome hunting cartridge. Just my thoughts anyways, maybe not for accuracy per se but for all around versatility it would be hard to beat.

Larry Gibson

waksupi
01-23-2008, 11:23 PM
Good point by Larry. If you start putting a .308 based case in the M98, you will have some fiddling to do, to get things feeding right. A .35X57 would make very good sense.

twoworms
01-23-2008, 11:57 PM
A 30 BR with a Rem 700 action 36X scope. I would ask Felix for the twist rate and other info regarding the barrel.

Tim...

S.R.Custom
01-24-2008, 12:49 AM
Never a dollar in mind? I can't think that way. Can't even imagine what it would be like...

Me either. But it does offer insight as to what properties one should look for in a more 'practical' gun...

A 30 BR with a Rem 700 action 36X scope.

Kinda what I was thinking. Maybe the barrel has a little more aggressive rifling? And who would make the the best quality mould? Hoch? (http://www.hochmoulds.com/rifle.htm)

MGySgt
01-24-2008, 09:56 PM
waksupi - All Marines are men (and women) of intelligence, and refinement! I thought you knew that by now. :)

Don't sell the M98 short, note in my previous posts that is probably the way I will go. Any of the 3 .35s you mentioned are good but if i ever get tired of the .35 Remington I will go with w 35x57 (similar to the 9x57 but not the same). The 35x57 is simply made by shortening a .35 Whelen die so a 8x57 when sized in it has the shoulder set back so it has the longer neck. The longer neck is best with cast bullets as it contains the lube grooves without the GC being below the case neck. The case also has the Mauser taper and feeding is slicker than snot through the action. The case is the right sized for the magazine and heavier bullets can be seated to mag length without encroaching on cast capacity. Should also give optimum loading density for 220+ gr cast bullets for 2200+ fps, truely an awesome hunting cartridge. Just my thoughts anyways, maybe not for accuracy per se but for all around versatility it would be hard to beat.

Larry Gibson

See what I mean - now you got me thinking even harder. I don't even know of anyone that would do that work.

I was going to have ER Shaw do the barrel/action work, then I would fit the stock.

Now I have to start all over again!

At least it gives something to dream about in the winter months! :)

Drew

mainiac
01-24-2008, 10:29 PM
I like the BAT actions, smoother, tighter and more accurately machined than a Stolle. I have had 4 Stolle actions and none compare to a BAT. I have never had a bolt handle come off a Bat bolt like I did with a Stolle. Then it took them six months and $ 55 to repair, real quality my foot. Got rid of all four of them and never looked back with a BAT action. Had a Stolle Polar on a rail gun, heat build up caused the scope mounted on the action to lift 1/2 a ring at 100 yards after 4 rounds and after 8 rounds lifted the entire ring. Jim Stekl (noted Remington Engineer) had the same problem with his Stolle Polar, both of us dumped the Polars. No matter how you polish the Stolle action, the bolt seems to drag on the aluminum railways, copious use of lubricant solves problem, but collects dirt and dust and you are just like you were when you started. The BAT bolt slides like glass on glass.

My most accurate bench-gun ever, is a witchita H.V. 6ppc. Bill Niemi the bullet maker built it. He used to build barrells also. This gun just plain shoots! Won numerous state championships with it. Your post about the bolt handle falling off,caused me to post this. Back when there was NO 220 russian cases (you probaly remember?) I used rem small primer 7.62X39 cases, and they was to fat on the back end. Had to really pull on the bolt handle to get them to eject, well, one time the friggen bolt broke off,with the fired case still locked in the chamber! Cant remember now how i got the thing opened, but i did and then silver soldiered the handle back in its hole. Along came norma,and lapua brass,and never had another problem! Am VERY tempted to get a bench rest quality barrell, just for cast, probaly .30 caliber. Have one gun all set up, a 30 aardvark, should just get at it! What would be the best boolit for my barrells? They have 15 inch twists.

Bass Ackward
01-25-2008, 07:30 AM
waksupi - All Marines are men (and women) of intelligence, and refinement! I thought you knew that by now. :)

See what I mean - now you got me thinking even harder. I don't even know of anyone that would do that work.

I was going to have ER Shaw do the barrel/action work, then I would fit the stock.

Now I have to start all over again!

At least it gives something to dream about in the winter months! :)

Drew

Drew,

With what you have invested in 45s, I .... don't .... think I would build a 35. The risk is too great. :grin: