View Full Version : help id rcbs die

07-17-2014, 10:16 AM
I recently piced up several die at an auction. One of the dies i cannot find any information on.
First, it is not a primer pocket swage die.
Second, it is stamped rcbs body 71 swage die p.p.
It is nothing like a pocket swager. It looks like a decapping die but the stem where the expander and decapper rod is different. It is threaded at the top like all others but where the expander and decapper usually go it is a straight smooth shaft.
Does anyone know what this die is for? Is the p.p. for paper patch?
Thanks, Lab

07-17-2014, 10:23 AM
It is a primer pocket crimp removing die, PP= primer pocket. 71 means it was made in 1971

07-17-2014, 10:23 AM
Pictures, my boy, pictures! :smile:

07-17-2014, 10:25 AM
That is the die that goes with the other parts of the primer pocket swaging kit. The rod you mention comes in 2 sizes for use in .223 size mouth cases or the larger rod for about any other sized mil case. The rod is simply screwed out and the other rod is screwed back in its place. You need to adjust the depth this rod goes into the case and coming into contact with the case web. Cases will vary in web height with manfacturer so it is easy to bend this rod by having it set for a different case maker.Robert

07-17-2014, 01:38 PM
Thanks guys, thats what i needed

07-17-2014, 11:28 PM
Personally, I wouldn't bother getting the rest of the set from RCBS. While it will remove the primer crimp, the Dillon swager is much easier to setup and a whole lot faster to use.

I have had both and the Dillon is still here.

Just my opinion,


07-17-2014, 11:56 PM
I have at least two complete sets of the rcbs primer pocket swagers. To date i have never used them and dont really intend to. I dont shoot .223/5.56 so not needed for that. Most of the .308 and 30-06 i load is lc 66-78 and the primer pockets are not crimped in. More than likely i will never use them but its nice to know i have them if needed.
thanks, lab