PDA

View Full Version : pin gages

Taylor
07-17-2014, 08:33 AM
Now,I really don't have a clue as were to post this."Cause I ain't selling or trading anything.So--feel free to put it were it goes,iffn it don't go here.

I have considered buying a set for a while now.But not having any machinist experience,I don't quite know how to look.I have been told,for my usage,it should be a minus set.Keep in mind,I don't need an expensive set.Just something to to use occasionally in my gun room.I used to get a catalog from Enco,but they stopped coming.

I am,at this point,open to any advice one might offer.

marvelshooter
07-17-2014, 08:55 AM
For most uses it does not matter whether pin gauges are plus or minus tolerance. Standard pin gauges have a .0002 tolerance that starts at the listed size and either goes plus or minus from there. A .250 minus gauge can be from .2498 to .250 and a .250 plus gauge can be from .250 to .2502 diameter.

WallyM3
07-17-2014, 09:05 AM
I'd recommend a set of ZZ Minus gages. Marvel shooter is spot on with tolerances, but gages are still better than inside mikes for this work.

Most machinists agree that it takes about a 0.0002" clearance to get a pin to start into a hole, hand held, thus any random tolerance drift would more likely be in your favor in assessing ID to the nearest half-thou. E.g., a 0.3580" minus gage will more likely fit into a 0.3580" hole than would a plus pin. You're probably not going to size to the nearest 50-millionths anyway.

The alternative is to buy both sets. Or individually acquire X gages, which is crazy expensive.

Enco (owned by MSC) has a web site.

Also try Travers Tool, or just Google "ZZ pin gages".

GBertolet
07-17-2014, 09:19 AM
ENCO has them, and they are occasionally on sale. www.use-enco.com (http://www.use-enco.com) . They have the import, and U.S. made sets. The imports are much cheaper. If you are not in a hurry, you can go online and sign up to get on their mailing list for sale catalogs, and look for the pin gauges. You need the special item number from the sale catalog to get the sale price. The minus set is the one you want to get.

smokeywolf
07-17-2014, 09:23 AM
A lot depends on the sizes you predict you will need. If you will only be needing a half dozen sizes, you might be better off buying the individual pins separately.

Calamity Jake
07-17-2014, 11:46 AM
For most uses it does not matter whether pin gauges are plus or minus tolerance. Standard pin gauges have a .0002 tolerance that starts at the listed size and either goes plus or minus from there. A .250 minus gauge can be from .2498 to .250 and a .250 plus gauge can be from .250 to .2502 diameter.

The above is a complete misunderstanding.
A pin with a minus tol. is .0002 under the size printed on the pin i.e. if the size printed on the pin is .250-
the pin size is actually .2498 therefore a pin with .250+ is .2502.

Total accuracy of the pins depends on the class of pins X, XX or ZZ, ZZ being the most accurate.

Buy the minus set or individual minus pin.

WallyM3
07-17-2014, 11:58 AM
http://www.meyergage.com/products/class-x-sets-libraries/

ZZ gages have a tolerance of 0.0002".
X gages have a tolerance of 0.00004".

bangerjim
07-17-2014, 01:14 PM
For you (estimated) usage minus ZZ's are OK.

I have the full set (0.006-1.00") and if you only need a few specific sizes, try to buy just those. You can sink a lot of $$ in metrology tools!

For inexpensive tools, check out www.useenco.com.

bangerjim

gpidaho
07-17-2014, 01:28 PM
I have the ENCO import set .250-.500 and use them a lot very handy. mine are the pin gauges - category I am not a machinist and cant think of a thing I do that ..0002 could make a difference. Under a hundred bucks to your door. DEAL Great for revolvers and bullet fitting. 1000 and one handy uses.GP